Possible New Coaster for Luna Park Melbourne?

alex_1

Went to Luna Park tonight. The new coaster is just a generic crazy coaster.

I don't know why, but it pisses me off hugely when the coaster type is reffered to as a "Crazy Coaster". Neither Zamperla nor Reverchon ever reffered to these spinning mice as "Crazy Coasters".

That's simply the website of an operator who owns a Zamperla spinner under the name of Crazy Coaster. That is not the ride type. For example, Olympia Looping has a website but it's ride type isn't "Olympia Looping" its a Schwarzkopf Looper.

Edited by alex_1

Can you take a photo / scan the article?

. It's not the new one I was hopeful for obviously, but it just "feels right" at LP, and still "feels utterly wrong" at the Melbourne Show.

Meh, too spinning mouses in the world, and have ridden it both at the Melbourne and Shepparton shows, don't care if I never ride it again. Edited by Gazza

• 3 weeks later...
Long time lurker, first time poster. I won 5 tickets to the centenary too. I was in the second session and it only started to rain in the last hour and a half. I just read that you were at the second session too RichardWilliamCollins, I don't know how the 3rd session handled the weather! Scenic was running until it stopped mid way and needed a push by park staff. I have it on video, was a bit of a sight. That was the last ride for the day I believe, glad I got to see it. A round of a applause was taken by the riders that pulled in, it was great to see people in good spirits. The live music was a nice touch as well as the characters and sideshows but there really needs to be more undercover spots for bad weather. 167463_384479904973332_1140136289_n_zpsd71f29a5.jpg 10362_384479988306657_222010901_n_zpsf6eee706.jpg 215070_384481001639889_1054728457_n_zps26f4432d.jpg 546960_384481528306503_40221280_n_zps887488c9.jpg 148216_384481911639798_1185031656_n_zps3c2d021a.jpg 66695_384482718306384_1490585683_n_zps7f6a8861.jpg 3507_384482758306380_473839257_n_zps7606e4bb.jpg 483506_384482908306365_220095378_n_zpsbb793878.jpg 481516_384483678306288_1380954272_n_zps5e32a348.jpg 190088_384483731639616_1528061428_n_zpsaa424918.jpg :) Edited by koukli

This is interesting news. On Coasterforce and UKRides it has been reported that the Maurer Sohne Spinning coaster Whirlwind from the defunct park Camelot has been sold to a park in Australia. Whirlwind was the prototype for this model of ride and before finding a home at Camelot did the travelling circuit in Germany. Apparently it's material condition is not great and it will need some work. IF this is true, the only 2 parks in Australia that have hinted at getting a new major ride this year are LPM and Adventure World. I wouldn't rule out Aussie World as a possible destination as well. Either way, this is an exciting rumour, and one that I hope bears fruition. I am dead keen to ride a Maurer Sohne spinner and have long advocated one of our parks gaining one. Fingers crossed!!

I doubt it'd be Luna Park - they'd never do something that cool lol I'd love for it to be Aussie World, a new family coaster like that is exactly what the park needs. I've ridden a Maurer Spinner (Sonic Spinball at Alton Towers) and although Gerstlauer Spinners are IMO better, the Maurers are still fun rides and I'd love for us to have one here.

But my "favourite" is actually Adventure World, as they're certainly shopping for one, probably with a medieval bent to fit with their new "dragon area" they have.

How do you mean? Whirlwind is not a medieval name, the ride is painted green and yellow (link) and the cars are generic Maurer Sohne ones with a picture of a chipmunk on them (link), nor does Whirlwind have any medieval theming. Camelot theme park is cheapo (Thats why they went out of business)...They literally just plopped in a traveling ride without really doing anything else. Being in a theme park named Camelot does not make it medieval themed. It's like saying V8 Supercars Redline is ocean themed just because it's in ocean parade. Edited by Gazza

Jobe, did you have a link to the original Coasterforce/UKrides topics at all? Cant find them.

Certainly fits Adventure World as well, not just the ride, but also the theme given that they have a Castle/dragon themed land now.

But my "favourite" is actually Adventure World, as they're certainly shopping for one, probably with a medieval bent to fit with their new "dragon area" they have.

I'm still unclear what you meant in these two posts yesterday...What did you mean with the reference to the medieval themed area, and what has spinning coaster got to do with it anyway? Edited by Gazza

Jobe, did you have a link to the original Coasterforce/UKrides topics at all? Cant find them. I'm still unclear what you meant in these two posts yesterday...What did you mean with the reference to the medieval themed area, and what has spinning coaster got to do with it anyway?

Sorry Gazza have been offline for a couple of days due to work. Whirlwind has nothing to do with anything remotely medieval, its just RWC putting his own spin ( pun intended here :D ) as usual in his posts. In case you havent found the links here they are. http://www.ukrides.i...&st=0&sk=t&sd=a http://www.coasterfo...=35133&p=833419 It's interesting to note that this rumour, as exciting as it is, has been supposedly sourced from info obtained from the the maintenance engineer from Camelot. Its a little shaky especially as RWC's line of questioning revealed that there was no park name attached to this info. If it occurs, I will be happy, but I am unsure as to the veracity of its integrity at this stage. I must admit, RWC's line of questioning to LPM and the answer given,whilst very vague,was in my mind, a little promising. If this coaster WAS to come to Australia, I feel LPM would be the best bet for its destination. Its footprint would be ideal for the size available. As the pic shows, apparently Whirlwind is not in THAT great material condition. If it was to come here to Australia, it would need a good refit. I would be happy for a park here to gain this ride- they DO look like fun and it would be an Australian first!! LPM is a great fit but I would really rather see it find a home in LPS ( wishful thinking I know, but at least I could ride it regularly there!! :lol: ) However, if it was reported that an Australian park had bought Camelot's Knightmare coaster, then THAT would be great news indeed......would love to ride that Schwarzkopf goodness.... :)

post-30-0-76692900-1357824386_thumb.jpg

To be honest, I take most things said on Theme Park Facebook pages with a pinch of salt. The people who maintain those pages are most likely janitors or ride ops or some other minor members of staff (at least this is what I seem to have gathered from Movieworld's page and their painfully misinformed Coaster of the Week posts). And yeah, I'd heard reports of Whirlwind being rough before closing, so it's not in the best condition. I agree that if Australia got Knightmare that'd be excellent since the old Schwarzkopf Jet Star in Adventure World was removed.

There is a major difference between theme park fan pages, and the official facebook page of a park. The official page is usually run by marketing and PR guys, and the errors are their own ignorance, rather than being a lowly janitor in the chain of command. Nope - the coaster of the week posts are just poor research for the marketing team.

• 1 month later...

Just to bring an update to this thread. On LPM Facebook's page, they were asked directly whether or not Whirlwind has been bought from Camelot and is coming to LPM. This was their reply.... " There has been some info on a theme park forum that says that the Maurer Sohne Spinning coaster Whirlwind from defunct UK themepark Camelot has been sold to an Australian park. I am wondering if it is Luna Park Melbourne?? Saturday at 7:21pm via mobile · Like

• [*]
Luna Park Melbourne Sorry, dont know anything about that. But if we have big news about a new ride, we wouldnt be able to keep it a secret! Saturday at 7:49pm · Unlike · 1 [*] John Graham Fair enough!! So do you have concrete plans to put in a new coaster where Metropolis and Crazy Coaster recently was?? Saturday at 8:21pm via mobile · Like [*] John Graham But of course... I don't expect you to give a straight answer ..... Hehe!! Saturday at 9:24pm via mobile · Like [*] Luna Park Melbourne We have lots of plans for the Park over the next few years, unfortunately, nothing we can release just yet! We want to make sure everything is 100% locked in before telling our lunie fans! We will have an attraction popping up in that space in the next few weeks though :)" So no Whirlwind coming to LPM at all. It looks like temporary attractions will be filling in the footprint for the next couple of years. There are plans but they have yet to be realised. So if the rumour of Whirlwind being bought by an Australian park is true,and LPM and now Adventure World are being ruled out of contention, what parks does that leave us?? Aussie World?? Good possibility and would be a good fit in this great little park. LPS? Perhaps ..it would be a great and much needed addition but the resident issue and the fact that they have not added a single new permanent ride in 8 years is an indication to the negative. I think we can put to bed any claim of an Australian park having bought Whirlwind......the most likely contenders are ruling themselves out. Shame because this ride would have enhanced any of our small parks greatly...... Hopefully the plans LPM have in mind include a new coaster at some point...... :)

Good find Alex1!! RCDB are not infallible but when they post something on their website it is usually good information!! I think we can safely say that the rumour of Whirlwind coming to Australia appears dead!! Tis a shame really. I have not given up hope that a Maurer Sohne spinner will make its way to one of our parks in the near future!!

Edited by Jobe