Sign in to follow this  
Gazza

Top Thrill Dragster double page spread.

13 posts in this topic

Just letting ou guys know there was a double page spread about Top Thrill Dragster in Todays Herald Sun (28/5/04) on page 5 in the travel section. Had some really cool pics including one looking down from the top, one showing riders faces on the launch and a couple of general shots of the ride. Also in the article were some pics of Dodonpa, Thunder Dolphin, Daemon and Steel Dragon. The text was just mainly just spouting facts about the rides. One about TTD: "..spirals in 270* flips" I can try to scan it if anyone wants me to.

Nope, The Herald Sun is Melbournes main paper, Anyway, here is the article, sorry about the dots, its inevitable on printed stuff and the lines, because i had to fold it outwards in a wierd way so it would fit in a scanner, then piece it together onthe computer.

You've got to love Australian papers. A year after the ride opens they publish an article - made up of tidbits and quotes from the press releases, and accompanying photographs also from the park. The outstanding publication that is Queensland's Courier Mail published the same sort of article a few weeks ago.

Thanks for scanning it in Gazza. The article was what I expected really - brief & pretty uninformative :D Now I just gotta get to Cedar Point one of these days & get on it :)

But the pics were nice, did you notice on the main photo there was a bit of rope tied around the track? the rails were worn so obvioulsy the ride was not still under construction. Hope it got removed before the ride started again. Also, notice that the descrtiption of Daemon says nothing about it being floorless.

Intamin track is painted with the white rails, the idea being that this (different) paint will peel off much more smoothly than the regular paint, so the ride will look a little better a season or two down the track. You'll actually see that particular photograph ar RCDB (here), dated 30/1/2003, well before it opened. The previous photo also shows the rope again, and that it's part of the construction.

Well, you learn a new thing every day :), maybe B&M should take a leaf out of Intamins' book and try that, their rails wear down really bad. In todays Herald Sun was a shark bay article, but yours is so much better.