New and very different attractions

pushbutton

1 hour ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

Because they could have followed the current expectation of just building a roller coaster that even two years on still gives Movie World praise. We have nothing like this in Australia.

I think it would be better for you if you untangle those 2 things in your mind. I think it's clouding your judgement and making you unable to take things on their merits.

Reality is; Rivals is a really good coaster and is probably one of the biggest things that has helped Movie World get out of the post accident slump. As for 2 years and still getting praise; yeah what of it? It and Superman are really friggen good. No one heaps praise on Doomsday or Batwing because they're filler.

Mostly what Ardent has added is also filler. DW got praised for the better part of 2 decades for the Tot/GD combo too, and with good reason. But they never followed it up with anything else amazing, and now those rides have been surpassed, it's very 'The king has no clothes' sort of thing.

Reality is; Sky Voyager will probably be pretty good when it opens but it isn't yet. DW also bet a lot on that ride giving them a boost. The ride isn't open and they haven't had that boost. If you want to pretend that the reason it isn't open yet is because they were doing something so innovative, new and ambitious that it was impossible to get it done on time then that's up to you. You could face the reality and admit the truth that the ride is delayed because they are caught in a world of regulatory hurt that they caused themselves by falsifying documents to OH&S before TRRR's accident, but again, you should not be forced to allow reality into your bubble.

Finally, you brought up Rivals and Sky Voyager in the uniqueness thread, so here it is, neither of these rides are unique. Rivals is excellent, Sky Voyager will probably be very good when it opens, but neither are unique. If you think Sky Voyager is unique because of a custom film or by virtue of the fact there's no other simulator like it in Austrlia, then Rivals is also unique by virtue of custom layout and being the only coaster of its type in Australia. You can't have one without the other.

Edited by joz
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slick said:

Yeah i'm confused - to clarify, are you saying world class parks should or shouldn't have one-off attractions?

I think I've confused everyone by mixing up my wording on one-off and temporary.

One-off, as in unique attractions, are excellent especially for a parks identity. One-off, as in temporary attractions, are not welcome in world class parks in my opinion.

Sorry for the mishap!

7 minutes ago, joz said:

You could face the reality and admit the truth that the ride is delayed because they are caught in a world of regulatory hurt that they caused themselves

Citation needed.

Though I agree with most the rest of what you say. Well said.

5 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

Citation needed.

15 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

they are caught in a world of regulatory hurt that they caused themselves

Whilst a strict "thesis level" citation is difficult -

FACT - it is unquestionable that the government have put the amusements industry under a microscope.

FACT - It is also unquestionable that this microscope was brought upon by the revelations post-TRRR.

The Queensland Premier is on record about both of these facts.

FACT - It is a matter of public record during the inquest that Dreamworld had previously argued they should be exempt from normal WH&S inspections

FACT - It is also a matter of public record that Dreamworld's construction, modification, maintenance and operation of TRRR was well below an acceptable Australian Standard.

FACT - Dreamworld's social teams routinely reply to questions about Sky Voyager with answers suggesting 'box ticking' for them to ensure compliance is holding it up.

These facts draw a pretty clear inference that regulatory hurt is impacting the industry, and indeed the park, and this hurt was caused by them. Whilst that isn't a fact - its hard for me to see any other possibility, given the number of people on these forums who are involved in the industry (or related works) that seem to have an inside perspective on what is happening.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Whilst a strict "thesis level" citation is difficult -

FACT - it is unquestionable that the government have put the amusements industry under a microscope.

FACT - It is also unquestionable that this microscope was brought upon by the revelations post-TRRR.

The Queensland Premier is on record about both of these facts.

FACT - It is a matter of public record during the inquest that Dreamworld had previously argued they should be exempt from normal WH&S inspections

FACT - It is also a matter of public record that Dreamworld's construction, modification, maintenance and operation of TRRR was well below an acceptable Australian Standard.

FACT - Dreamworld's social teams routinely reply to questions about Sky Voyager with answers suggesting 'box ticking' for them to ensure compliance is holding it up.

These facts draw a pretty clear inference that regulatory hurt is impacting the industry, and indeed the park, and this hurt was caused by them. Whilst that isn't a fact - its hard for me to see any other possibility, given the number of people on these forums who are involved in the industry (or related works) that seem to have an inside perspective on what is happening.

It doesn't matter if WH&S are keeping an eye on the park because all it proves is DW still can't get an attraction up to standard.

The standards haven't changed on how a ride is built and I believe most of the changes that have changed with WH&S are regarding maintenance, inspections, operations and training of staff.  I haven’t seen anywhere it now says you must now add cages to flume rides or add seat belts to Disk-O rides.

It doesn’t take WH&S 4 months to sign off a ride because WH&S had no problems signing off Sky Flyer before Christmas.