Disneyland/DCA/Universal Trip Report (2022/23)

Jessicajealousy

Thanks for the TR @Jessicajealousy - sounds like you had a great time, sorry you felt poorly for part of the trip though.

Other than getting sick - was there anything about your trip you'd do differently? 

What was the biggest unexpected (pleasant) surprise for you?

Did you catch Fantasmic?

4 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Thanks for the TR @Jessicajealousy - sounds like you had a great time, sorry you felt poorly for part of the trip though.

Other than getting sick - was there anything about your trip you'd do differently? 

What was the biggest unexpected (pleasant) surprise for you?

Did you catch Fantasmic?

Thank you!

I think I would have spent more time planning our days - not down to the minute, but other than seeing what we could get with Genie+ and the odd dining reservation, we didn't really have a plan. We also got tired and sore and didn't take many breaks, which means we often got burnt out, and as a result missed out on things. I really wanted to see the Enchanted Tiki Room, but missed out because we ran out of time. 

The biggest surprise was just how LOVELY the cast members were. It took us by surprise! When comparing to the Gold Coast parks, I often feel like the staff there consider it "just a job" and don't enjoy working there. The cast members at Disney (and somewhat at Universal) just seemed to love and enjoy every minute of working there, and it really made our trip even more enjoyable.

We sadly missed Fantasmic - we had planned to see it on our last night - the night I wasn't well and I was just too tired, and I was desperate to ride Peter Pan and see the Lincoln animatronic before we left, so they took priority.

We are hoping to get to Florida next year, so hopefully get to see Fantasmic there.

46 minutes ago, REGIE said:

most ride ops on the Gold Coast are pretty great but there is a few duds but most of them lately have been really friendly when you chat to them.

Oh, that's good. I went to Movieworld and Seaworld in July and found lots of staff (particularly at Seaworld) quite inattentive and not super chatty. But maybe I just went on a bad day :D

A have run into a few that seem very over it but a lot of the OP’s I have seen in the last 6 months have been super fun and friendly especially at wet’n’wild. MW staff have been nice enough but it’s hard ti get much out of them. The seaworld staff around Leviathan when it was having a lot of trouble were also very apologetic and nice about it.

Great to hear that you mostly had an awesome time there.
Some questions:

- How did you go with the other guests in the various parks you visited? Sometimes they can add to the magic, sometimes detract. (My DL Paris visit on Halloween was enhanced by so many dressing up, for example.)

- Did you eat in the parks at non-booked / non table service places as well? How much better was the booked restaurant (if they were better)?

- Did you have time to do Smuggler's Run as well as RotR? How was it? 

- As Galaxy's edge has been around for for a little wile now, are the cast members still going with it ("bright suns!" etc)?

- In RotR when you were put in your cells, did you try the Andor "I'm a tourist!" line? :D 

- What surprised you most about LA (outside of the parks)?

Edited by Whombex

8 hours ago, Whombex said:

Great to hear that you mostly had an awesome time there.
Some questions:

- How did you go with the other guests in the various parks you visited? Sometimes they can add to the magic, sometimes detract. (My DL Paris visit on Halloween was enhanced by so many dressing up, for example.)

- Did you eat in the parks at non-booked / non table service places as well? How much better was the booked restaurant (if they were better)?

- Did you have time to do Smuggler's Run as well as RotR? How was it? 

- As Galaxy's edge has been around for for a little wile now, are the cast members still going with it ("bright suns!" etc)?

- In RotR when you were put in your cells, did you try the Andor "I'm a tourist!" line? :D 

- What surprised you most about LA (outside of the parks)?

Hey Whombex! Thanks for the questions :)

1. Pretty good - lots of guests again congratulating us on first visit/honeymoon. And the interaction of a guest giving me a purse was beautiful. I did find the amount of guest on ECV's (the electric scooter vehicles) really surprised me - they were just everywhere. That and the amount of prams/strollers I found detracted a little from the magic - moreso at Disney than Universal. But, it's a part of life and so I just learned to look past it.

Seeing people dressing up in robes at Universal for HP world was beautiful though, that really added to the atmosphere!

2. We did! We enjoyed breakfast of chocolate croissants (and average coffee) at Jolly Holiday for two mornings - lovely service and hardly any wait. We also ate at Flo's Diner in DVC which is quick service. We did mobile order with Flo's which was quick but no cast member interaction. I definitely preferred table service - much more attentive, chatted with us - just a nicer experience all round. 

3. We did! My husband's screen name for lots of things is GeneralHSolo and so Han Solo is his favourite character - so to see a full size millenium falcon sitting there, and then being able to go in was just unbelievable! We only had the chance to ride it once - we both got engineers. We just ran out of time to do it again and try and be pilots, but maybe on our next trip!

4. YES! Always Bright Suns which was lovely, and when I asked how much extra kyber crystals were (as my husband did Savi's workshop and made his own lightsaber) I was told "18 credits" which I loved! It was just that attention to detail that made galaxy's edge that little bit more special

5. No we didn't - we have just finished watching Andor and we hadn't seen it then (we are very behind :D) - we will have to try that next time!

6. I think the homelessness problem really took me by surprise - once you leave the Disney bubble, the real world hits you and it was sad to experience the way many people live. While homelessness is a problem even in Australia - I think that because making tents/camps on the footpaths is legal in LA, the problem really kind of smacked you in the face and was more noticeable.

But, I also enjoyed how friendly people in LA were - the first place we ate was In and Out Burger, and the staff there were so friendly, and upbeat and excited, it was a great experience! Even when I went to a CVS, the staff were very helpful.

CVS was an experience - very different to an Aussie chemist!

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

What chapter are you up to on the receipt?

Hahahahaha this made me laugh! We also asked our friends to take us to Walmart on our last (which they thought was hilarious). We went to a "superstore" version, which felt like a cross between costco and big w :D

I NEEDED to take home lucky charms and nerds gummy clusters *drools*

1 hour ago, New display name said:

It does for most people the first time.  It makes you appreciate how Australia looks after it's people who suffer from mental illnesses.

It does. I use to work in Melbourne CBD and felt homelessness was a problem there, but LA felt like than x10 - made me grateful for the country that I live in.