Australian Ride Safety Culture

DaptoFunlandGuy

12 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

The dual station layout of superman is dumb. A single load/unload platform along with a loose articles area that can be accessed via the exit (like bluefire) would be so much more efficent (and if guests can have their phones for the entire queue - happier guests too)

The ride was designed that way for theming, hence the unload station having the cracked walls (from after the earthquake). The no loose items policy also helps speed up the loading process, well was meant to anyway. But once the doors open and guests board a train can be dispatched generally within 30 seconds with 2 loaders that are on the ball.

The ride however is not efficient at all with 1 train, and I'd say was designed to run pretty much all the time with 2 trains in mind. IMO what would have made sense is having 3 trains so that the ride can always run with 2 trains as required and only drop down to 1 train in the very quiet months (End of Jan > End of March periods). 

Superman with 2 trains and a dedicated sorter can easily dispatch between 25 and 30 trains a hour giving a capacity of 500 - 600 per hour which puts it not that far below Scooby Doo on a good day (which is about 700 a hour). Hardly a bad design, just not utilised in the best way at all. When the ride first opened I'd say it was actually getting closer to 35 trains a hour with 4 loaders, a sorter, entry host and 2 unloaders and ran very efficiently. However I think the 4 loaders and 2 unloaders was overkill and clearly the park did because after opening year it was cut back to 2 loaders, entry, sort and unload for 2 train ops.

I swear though... if they ever cut that ride down to 3 staff again (Load 1, Entry, Load 2 / sort / unload)... that was the worst decision they ever made and lucky it only ran for a few months like that when they realised 8 trains a HOUR was absolutely horrible.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, REGIE said:

I know a few gen Z that avoid superman because they can’t have their phones pffft

When there's a 60+ minute queue and your friends are outside because they didn't want to ride, and you've listened to the MRT spiel for the 100th time while standing in the humid queue area, I can understand avoiding it.

• Like 1

Not having your phone for a 60 minute wait is very old school. The closest thing to this that I can think of is Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and Hulk - but everything else either has phone sized pockets on the train (Steel Vengeance for example) or more modern rides with two way lockers that work off park tickets/AP's/any barcode (VelociCoaster) ... but these are all high capacity machines.

I reckon the ideal way for them to fix this (and it's free) without considerably slowing down ops (hard at this point) is to just have the platform ops pass around a tray for phones and or items that fit in pockets - then leave it at the exit for when they disembark. Sea World San Diego do this for Sky Rocket.

1 hour ago, Dean Barnett said:

platform ops pass around a tray for phones and or items that fit in pockets - then leave it at the exit for when they disembark.

Not feasible to have everyone’s phone in the one tray, that’s potentially 20 odd phones and it’s just going to slow down Ops as people try to work out whose is whose at disembark time

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Not having your phone for a 60 minute wait is very old school. The closest thing to this that I can think of is Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and Hulk - but everything else either has phone sized pockets on the train

Go take a look at Universal Singapore - both major coasters - Mummy and Battlestar - don't allow any loose items, all must be in a locker (Battlestar they even wave metal detectors over you before admitting you to the queue) and their waits are consistently an hour or more. 

8 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Not feasible to have everyone’s phone in the one tray, that’s potentially 20 odd phones and it’s just going to slow down Ops as people try to work out whose is whose at disembark time

It works at Storm Coaster?

It does however need to be in the unload zone, not outside the gate where other randoms can get to it. Nobody is going to try swiping someone else's phone when the guy who owns it is standing right behind them waiting to collect it - they won't get far.

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

Just a FYI, not every time there is a ride stop will it require an evacuation of the ride. Generally speaking most of the rides when a fault is detected the supervisor will first try to clear the fault. An evacuation is generally a last resort if the fault can not be fixed. Depending on the exact cause of the fault will determine if an evacuation is required. 

Is this still the process because the impression, I get whenever we discuss E-stops within these forums is everybody now gets the boot? 🤷‍♀️

48 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It works at Storm Coaster?

At storm coaster you are only allowed to leave prescription or sun glasses. You are unable to leave phones, hats etc. if you have those with you at boarding you must take them with you - it’s been that way every time I’ve ridden in the last decade 

48 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Nobody is going to try swiping someone else's phone when the guy who owns it is standing right behind them waiting to collect it - they won't get far.

Have you not seen or heard about the rampant petty juvenile crime occurring all over the coast currently ?? I 100% would not put it past some eshay chumps to snatch and grab a bunch of devices by being first off the ride and to the tub. That would be tame and less-brazen compared to half the shit they are doing 

Edited by Brad2912

8 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

At storm coaster you are only allowed to leave prescription or sun glasses. You are unable to leave phones, hats etc. if you have those with you at boarding you must take them with you - it’s been that way every time I’ve ridden in the last decade 

I rode on the weekend and the tray passed around to us included sunglasses and phones. they also had a storage area for the refillable sippers.

9 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Have you not seen or heard about the rampant petty juvenile crime occurring all over the coast currently ?? I 100% would not put it past some eshay chumps to snatch and grab a bunch of devices by being first off the ride and to the tub. That would be tame and less-brazen compared to half the shit they are doing 

I'm honestly not worried about someone swiping my phone. It locks automatically, and I can make it beep obnoxiously loudly, and track it using NFC and GPS from my watch. They'll hope the cops catch them first. It's worthless as a resale because the phone needs my credentials to unlock it - even after a full factory reset and wipe.

And the kids know this. They don't swipe these sorts of devices anymore because everyone knows they're useless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I rode on the weekend and the tray passed around to us included sunglasses and phones. they also had a storage area for the refillable sippers.

Well that’s changed since Christmas Eve on my last visit there where it was “this tub is for glasses only” spiel they’ve given for years. The storage area for sippers is also new, but a welcome addition 

5 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I can make it beep obnoxiously loudly, and track it using NFC and GPS from my watch.

“Most” people don’t have that ability 

6 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They'll hope the cops catch them first.

Classic macho throwaway line that. 

7 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

And the kids know this. They don't swipe these sorts of devices anymore because everyone knows they're useless.

The “kids” are breaking into houses they know have cameras, to get the keys to steal high end luxury cars they know have gps tracking. They’re not doing it for resale value, they are doing it simply because they can and the law refuses to punish them. There is no fear of repercussion with these kids as the extent of their forward thinking ability is about 10 seconds.  

14 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I rode it before Christmas when I was trying to ride Leviathan, and they said I could leave my phone in they tray or take my phone on the ride with me.  🤷‍♀️  I had to leave my glasses. behind.

Edited by New display name

6 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

The “kids” are breaking into houses they know have cameras, to get the keys to steal high end luxury cars they know have gps tracking. They’re not doing it for resale value, they are doing it simply because they can and the law refuses to punish them. There is no fear of repercussion with these kids as the extent of their forward thinking ability is about 10 seconds.  

To be fair driving around a really fast car is a lot more fun than looking at a locked iPhone. 

3 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

To be fair driving around a really fast car is a lot more fun than looking at a locked iPhone. 

Mate I was just reading someone broke into someone’s house last night in Coomera and all they stole was a birdcage with 2 budgies and an ashtray.

these kids are cooked

• Like 1

14 hours ago, REGIE said:

How thick is the wall in between the unload and load station? Could they punch a hole in it and install double sided box’s like what jet rescue has?

The main problem I can see with this is, you've grouped and sorted everyone to their loading doors so they can walk straight onto the train. As soon as the doors open now, everyone needs to gather around the wall on the far left to drop their items before they can go back to finding their seats. 
It's not as much of an issue on the exit as everyone has to group around that wall to go through the exit doors anyway.

13 hours ago, New display name said:

Is this still the process because the impression, I get whenever we discuss E-stops within these forums is everybody now gets the boot? 🤷‍♀️

Yes it is still the procedure. Generally you won't hear about a ride stop unless it results in an evacuation. A ride stop simply stops the ride and can often be reset vs an e-stop which cuts all power to the ride and needs to re-do all opening checks again before guests can continue riding.

On 1/2/2023 at 12:52 PM, Levithian said:

The same requirements apply to all operators whether you meet the requirements for an amusement park licence or not. 

The new regulations apply to all rides and amusement devices above a certain class, that is what they were developed for. Doesn't matter how many rides you operate or large your company is, you could operate one single class 2 ride and still have to abide by the same regulations. It covers all instances of operating these devices, so fairs, fetes, shows, etc. 

For reference, an example of a class 2 ride is a red baron style kids ride or something like a mini drop tower. It's basically the minimum class you'll find for pretty much any actual moving ride.

Worth noting that the intention is actually to develop a national code of practice, even though, as pointed out, other states have similar requirements from worksafe. 

Ahh something I’m well versed in, working with log books and application processes. This info is spot on. Design reg, plant reg… 

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

Yes it is still the procedure. Generally you won't hear about a ride stop unless it results in an evacuation. A ride stop simply stops the ride and can often be reset vs an e-stop which cuts all power to the ride and needs to re-do all opening checks again before guests can continue riding.

I wasn't very clear in my first post.   I was thinking e-stops, but what I wrote sounds like I was saying all stoppages.  Sorry.