Advice for Japan coaster trip

REGIE

I am planing a trip to Japan this year or next and I would love some advice on food, getting around, places to stay and which parks are worth visiting the most. When I had a look at most the major parks (Fuji-Q, spa land, universal studios Japan) I realised they are all very spread out. What places and parks are worth it ? Is fast track needed? There’s probably heaps of other things I need to know that I am unaware of so all help and advice is very appreciated! 

I've done 2 trips to Japan in recent years and briefly, this is how we had gone about it for parks.

Started in Tokyo - stayed in Shinjuku, the station there is a great central hub to get around. 
Bus out to Fuji Q Highlands - Train to Disneyland & Disney Sea.
Other parks around the Tokyo are were all a quick train trip away. Some great smaller parks spread out around as well as the VR zone in Shinjuku. Cosmoworld in Yokohama wasn't too bad to kill an hour or so, same for Tokyo Dome City for Thunder Dolphin.

From there we got a bullet train to Nagoya, and from there it is quick (from memory it was train.. could have been bus... ) trip to Nagashima Spa Land. ( the Port of Nagoya Aquarium was also pretty neat ) 

From Nagoya, another bullet train down to Osaka to do Universal Studios. If you have time could also travel out to Himeji to the west of Osaka to do Himeji Central Park, few coasters there to add to the count.

From there we had a connecting flight back to Tokyo and on to Aus. 

Fuji-Q both trips we ran straight for the fast pass booth to buy tickets for the must-rides. Honestly the operations there were far from great and it definitely made the trip that little bit nicer. 

Not sure how the Disneyland / Disney Sea fast passes are working these days but when we went it was the old ticket machines to print your free pass. 

Nagashima Spa Land was dead the day we went, mid week, walk-on for every ride. Was pretty eery being in such a large park with almost no one there other than maybe 1 or 2 tour bus loads.

Universal 100% fast pass - we purchased the unlimited passes from Klook and again it just makes the day that bit better. I always figure you travel so far to get to these places, might as well fork out that little bit more to get on everything you want because who knows when the chance to go back again may come.

Hope this helps a little! 

Thanks that is very helpful! How is the vibe around Japan? Any places that feel a bit unsafe or anything?  Also how much are fast passes generally? If you can’t remember I can just probably google it somewhere.  Also is public transport expensive like it is around here?    I didn’t know there was a Tokyo Disney (not a huge Disney fan myself) is there any note worthy attractions or coaster there?

Edited by REGIE

I've been to Japan three times (planning 4th trip for next year) and while my interests are more anime related than theme parks these days I still visited Tokyo Disneyland/Sea (multiple times) and Universal Studios (once). Even if you say you're not a Disney fan (I'm not, honestly have no interest in anything they make) the parks are an absolute must. Before I visited I thought there would be nothing to excite me about the parks but honestly they are an eye-opening experience, DisneySea especially, theming is unbelievable and a lot of the rides are bucket-list worthy. As for Universal Studios it was ok, honestly I'm still pissed about being denied the ride on the Hollywood Dream roller coaster because my thighs were too chunky to get the lap bars down on the test seat (I was 95kg at the time, down to 83kg now so fingers crossed for next trip).

As for your other question regarding 'unsafe places' the only thing you have to worry about is touristy places like Shinjuku, Harajuku, Kabukicho and other areas with bars/clubs. There's a lot of dodgy establishments where they'll try and beckon you in by using English and then rip you off by overcharging for drinks or just plain rob you. It's never happened to me personally, but that's mostly because I'd only go to a place that actually appears on a Google review and not just wander into any random bar, club or restaurant.

On our first trip we stayed in a business hotel (like APA) in the financial districts of the city away from all the glitz and nightlife and touristy spaces. It made what could have been an intimidating and overwhelming first trip overseas a lot more relaxed and safe feeling. Plus the public transport (trains) are so good within Tokyo that even if you're staying away from the tourist areas it doesn't take long (or cost much) to get back into it. Also the hotels are a lot cheaper in these districts too.

• Like 1

@Joshua Hartas with Fuji Q it's different now because fast passes are now sold from vending machines out the front of each ride, There is no longer a singular booth.

Your description is pretty much how I did it, for Nagashima there's a direct bus from the main bus station in the middle of Nagoya.

In terms of fast passes I splurged a bit on the 7 ride pass for Universal.

At Fuji Q and Nagashima I got express passes from the vending machines, and I found that it wouldn't have been possible to get everything done without them ( though of course I could have taken extra days at some of the parks, but I didn't have time)

Must dos would be Universal, Disney, Nagashima and Fuji Q and arguably Parque Espana.

Around Tokyo their heaps of medium sized parks. Personally I thought Yomiuriland was the pick of the bunch.

Tokyo Dome City (thunder dolphin/panic coaster) and Joyopolis are both pretty good.

Tobu Zoo (Kawasemi & Regina) and Yokohama Cosmoworld are kind of crappy but have well known coasters you want to ride 

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, REGIE said:

I am planing a trip to Japan this year or next and I would love some advice on food, getting around, places to stay and which parks are worth visiting the most. When I had a look at most the major parks (Fuji-Q, spa land, universal studios Japan) I realised they are all very spread out. What places and parks are worth it ? Is fast track needed? There’s probably heaps of other things I need to know that I am unaware of so all help and advice is very appreciated! 

How long are you staying for and does the rest of the party you're going with love theme parks?

Yes they do like theme parks but they aren’t as die hard as I can be. We are going to be doing a lot of other non-theme park stuff too around Japan . So it’s not solely a theme park trip but I chatted to them and they want to see most the major ones. Like spaland/Disney/thunder dolphin/Fuji-Q but I think I could squeeze a few other little parks in too.  We are going for a month but it might not be till 2024 depending on a few things.  Nothing is booked yet

Edited by REGIE