A reason why Movie World doesn’t have anything based on Hanna-Barbera (theory)

TBoy

We all know that Hanna-Barbera is owned by Warner Bros, and the WB parks use it to their advantage. Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi has rides based on Scooby Doo, The Jetsons and The Flintstones, and Parque Warner Madrid has rides based on The Flintstones, Yogi Bear and Scooby Doo. What does Warner Bros Movie World have based on HB? Nothing.

Yes, they have Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, but that it based on the 2002 movie that comes from Warner Bros, not Hanna-Barbera. Here is my reason why they don’t have it: Movie World does not have permission to use Hanna-Barbera characters. It is another reason why the Kids WB area has Looney Tunes only, and none from Hanna-Barbera. If they did have HB rights I’m sure they would use it. So basically SDSC has to remain based on the films, not the show due to them not allowed to use Hanna-Barbera.

You have to understand that Movie World only has a connection to Warner Bros. because they licence the name for use. Warner Bros. don't have any control or share in the park at all, they don't own anything. So every single IP usage you see is under licencing agreement. Now there are all kinds of agreements that licence their use for all kinds of things. Just because you have the image rights to use a particular character for live action characters or statues, doesn't automatically mean you can build an attraction or sell their likeness of merchandising. It's all negotiated upon. The more you want to use, the bigger the $$$$$$

You are forgetting about the yogi bear 3d movie and recent Tom and Jerry usage too. Plus the use of characters in the park and in merchandising. It's not like they haven't used any at all. 

It's pretty simple really. You want to pay for things that are current and relevant in the public domain in order to get your best return for the investment. There is a lot of HB stock that really isn't known to the current generation (even the previous generation) of kids. So you have to be careful about where you put your money. 

• Like 2

Maybe Hanna-Barbera just isn't that appealing to kids anymore, sure they are recognisable entities to us. But how many kids these days are actually sitting down and watching the Flintstones, Yogi Bear and The Jetsons? I was born in 2003, and it was already out of fashion when I was growing up. 

Besides some 4D attractions of released movies, I doubt you will see Movie World really go out of their way to license characters that I'm not convinced kids even like that much these days. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TBoy said:

We all know that Hanna-Barbera is owned by Warner Bros, and the WB parks use it to their advantage. Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi has rides based on Scooby Doo, The Jetsons and The Flintstones, and Parque Warner Madrid has rides based on The Flintstones, Yogi Bear and Scooby Doo. What does Warner Bros Movie World have based on HB? Nothing.

Yes, they have Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, but that it based on the 2002 movie that comes from Warner Bros, not Hanna-Barbera. Here is my reason why they don’t have it: Movie World does not have permission to use Hanna-Barbera characters. It is another reason why the Kids WB area has Looney Tunes only, and none from Hanna-Barbera. If they did have HB rights I’m sure they would use it. So basically SDSC has to remain based on the films, not the show due to them not allowed to use Hanna-Barbera.

image.png.5cc7e0ce11c271186373bae930f5e978.png

Sometimes I read Parkz threads and they give me Always Sunny vibes. I covered the reason in another post which you can find here. TLDR; I think you may be trying to find a black-and-white rule to try and understand a sea of grey.

Thanks to everyone for explaining.

So it seems VRTP pay WB for characters and licensing that they want, and WB doesn't choose what ones, they just give the tick of approval for VRTP to use the characters in certain attractions etc. some are allowed in rides, some aren't. VRTP realise HB is not relevant and LT is more relevant which is why they have Looney Tunes and not Hanna-Barbera. 

Another question: If VRTP realise some characters from other studios are more relevant than some from WB, then could they make a deal with Paramount, Sony etc. to put franchises from them in Movie World without WB having any say? It seems that they already do this sometimes with the mazes at Fright Nights (only 2 mazes were WB that was the IT and The Conjuring mazes IIRC) and the Shrek show that happened. 

Throwing this into the discussion as well, don't forget that until 2004 Wonderland in Sydney also held the Hannah Barbera license, so this may have impacted Movie World's ability to also use the characters during this time.

Since Wonderland closed however the hot ticket IP has all been around Superheroes, so it makes sense that Movie World stuck with those IPs rather than taking up the Hannah Barbera ones.

On 05/04/2023 at 10:59 AM, Slick said:

image.png.5cc7e0ce11c271186373bae930f5e978.png

Sometimes I read Parkz threads and they give me Always Sunny vibes. I covered the reason in another post which you can find here. TLDR; I think you may be trying to find a black-and-white rule to try and understand a sea of grey.

So what you're saying is that Pepe Silvia is behind Movieworld not having any Hanna Barbera IP?