Gold Coast Parks with a bandaged hand?

wigginout

Hi all, 

I’m wondering if anyone has had any experiences going to the parks and being allowed on the attractions with a small cast/splint on their hands? 

For context I currently have a healing fracture in one of my fingers, luckily I have no pain as it’s immobilised and can move my entire arm and hand as normal (just not my finger). Unlucky for me however that this comes before my trip I’ve had booked for months. 

I know there’s obviously risks but I’m hoping to still be allowed to get on the coasters.. I’d rather not go and line up for most of the day to be turned away at the station though! 

Any experiences anyone has had would be appreciated. :) 

I know that there are some issues with casts on rides. I don't know what they are because i've never broken a bone - so it may be the degree \ size of the cast in issue. I do think a splint is far less of an issue than a full cast.

You'll get a lot of advice here, and some of it will be wrong - the one and only correct advice you can get is to go to guest services first thing, and ask them to assess you to determine what you can and can't ride. They'll give you a wristband which indicates to ride operators what GS have determined you can go on, and while the ride operator does have final say, the GS assessment is a good indication of what you will be able to do (so you don't spend all day in lines to be turned away). 

This will take some time out of your morning, but it will ensure the rest of your day goes much more smoothly.

I know that Sea World, Movie World and Dreamworld all do this, though their methods may differ. 

Remember though - a ride operator has final say on things. If they have any doubts as to your ability to ride, they will direct you back to guest services. If this does happen - do everyone else in the park a favour - don't argue with the operator and go back to GS. Usually if you are sent back to GS, they'll involve a ride supervisor to ensure any doubts or concerns the ride operators have are taken into account to get the correct assessment. 

And again - don't argue with the op - they're trying to keep everyone safe. It is an inconvenience, but GS will generally make it up to you with a readmission or fast track if you've had to come back, so while it might seem like you're losing time on your day, they'll look after you.

@DaptoFunlandGuyis on the money that the best thing to do is visit GS on arrival.

To get a general idea too the parks do have some info available online.

https://movieworld.com.au/-/media/project/movieworld/files/safety-and-accessibility-guide/wbmw2210502-accessibility-guide-web.pdf

https://www.dreamworld.com.au/park-information/accessibility-information/

16 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Remember though - a ride operator has final say on things.

When in doubt rides will also confer with Guest Services even if issued a medical communication band. I’ve had ride ops need to get the “all clear” from GS before sending the ride. 

Edited by Park Addict 93

As said above, Guest Services has the say, but it can't help to take a doctors certificate green lighting you for Guest Services to sight. The theme parks don't want to have the added liability of injuring your injury which is why they are overly cautious. If your doc cert says something along the lines that the forces from the rides will not re-injure or stop/slow down the healing process it would help.

As said a million times over, GC Theme Parks lean on caution due to insurance reasons.

Yeah, I'd check it out.

I got on DC Rivals once, and I still some K-tape on the side of my knee from playing sport the night before, and the ride of freaked. I pulled it off right in front of them and said there's no problem, and somehow I managed to get a ride even though they were still concerned. 

I know in the US, some parks even announce that you must have full use of both hands to ride. 

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

If your doc cert says something along the lines that the forces from the rides will not re-injure or stop/slow down the healing process it would help.

It's almost always not about the ride forces causing issues. there are many injuries and impairments that could ride the ride 99% of the time. The restrictions sometimes come from the potential for evacuations - ie - you might be able to ride it and be restrained, but can you negotiate the evacuation platform \ stairs \ harness or whatever. 

1 hour ago, downunder said:

I know in the US, some parks even announce that you must have full use of both hands to ride.

I actually noticed in one park on my recent trip (I cannot remember which), each load position had a diagram laminated and on the wall that showed what impairments were acceptable to ride - I remember seeing one that said "requires two legs and at least one hand"

lol.

I think though that although their regulation is less strict than ours, the disability discrimination angle is strong - whereas our parks wouldn't need to have a PA on a loop about disability accommodations and could have a polite, fair and reasonable discussion over what an amputee (or otherwise) can and cannot ride or do, i feel like in the states, a lot of them would immediately react that they were being discriminated against regardless of any further discussions or correspondence, so if they're loud and constant about the limitations of the ride before the guest interacts with a cast member, there's less (not no) chance that the guest is gonna flip a table.

5 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They'll give you a wristband which indicates to ride operators what GS have determined you can go on, and while the ride operator does have final say, the GS assessment is a good indication of what you will be able to do (so you don't spend all day in lines to be turned away). 

Guest Services actually trumps the ride operators... In the past if we were unsure on if someone was tall enough or if they were borderline we would send them to GS and get them to measure. They would then be given a height wristband that said what they were measured at and we were told to go off that for the day. Same with injuries, we would always send them to GS. They have a green one which means that they can go on all rides without an issue or an orange one which is to alert the operators that an observer may be required.

At rides with an entry host, the entry host will speak with the guest just to make sure that they understand evacuation procedures etc. They then call the supervisor to let them know, and it may be they are asked to come back in say 15 mins once an observer is able to be located and expressed onto the ride.

Generally if it's a minor splint though, most rides should be okay but yeah speak to GS and they will assist :)

34 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Guest Services actually trumps the ride operators

I've had a conversation with an operator about a height issue and they told me - wristband or not - if theres a doubt, the guest goes back to guest services to get it worked out. Apparently there have been incidents where wristbands get swapped, and I believe that as the last time we got a band, GS actually wrote down name, DOB, and what he was wearing. 

I mean, sure ops should be able to rely on bands being accurate, but if something doesn't seem to add up, they should still be able to redirect rather than have an argument (or an unsafe dispatch) right there on the platform.

5 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I've had a conversation with an operator about a height issue and they told me - wristband or not - if theres a doubt, the guest goes back to guest services to get it worked out. Apparently there have been incidents where wristbands get swapped, and I believe that as the last time we got a band, GS actually wrote down name, DOB, and what he was wearing. 

I mean, sure ops should be able to rely on bands being accurate, but if something doesn't seem to add up, they should still be able to redirect rather than have an argument (or an unsafe dispatch) right there on the platform.

Well yes, if I still don’t buy the wristband I would send them back to GS. Then the supervisor would normally call the entry host to advise on the outcome (approved or declined to ride).

Generally guests were pretty good and understanding that it was for safety…buuuuut sometimes, well yeah lol