New Water Attraction For Dreamworld...

Guys when I said a follish idea what I was trying to say was it will do three things that will work against both parks. Fristly for Dreamworld it won't help bring Cyclone into the park but infact work in reverse.As it is agreed Cyclone is so out of the park it isn't funny,but by building the waterpark around it they might as well include it in the waterpark. Secondly the Water park will be spread out over a large area and if the flowrider is to be included in the water park that is a lot of land to build in.But lets hope that they do build in the whole park area. Thirdly we all know that Dreamworld is running out of land so by using the old TB area for the waterpark they are reducing the area that they have for more big rides,and that can't be good. Anyway just my 5 cents worth.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame it was destroyed, looks freaking awesome. Well with the amount of area, can't they just purchase more or something? I'm not sure where as I've never really taken notice to the land around DW but couldn't they (if wanted) say "hey here's $20 mil we want that land" or something? I don't think they would have to include Cyclone in the water park area because the entrance is actually inside DW, just where they placed it is so far away from the other rides..you can't even SEE the other rides once you go around that corner (with exception to the claw when it's going) so the waterslides or whatever could kind of give it that 'part of the park' feeling the rest of the park has.

Plus who says that big rides are the best land use for the TB site anyway? I think a waterpark full of rides and shops has the potential to make more money in the long term than the money gained by a few more visitors after the opening of one new coaster to replace TB on that area. You have to trust their decison, it is most likey that they had cases for multiple uses of the area, but a waterpark came out as the best option after doing the figures. And also, who says another coaster cant co-exist with the water park, what if they did a hyper coaster that sort of encircles the water park? And just one more thing, what we are trying to say about it becoming more a part of the park is the fact it will have rides around it. Take the claw for example, it is great because it has gardens around it, paths where people can see it up close, other rides near by and buildings and to top it all off its the parks busisest area. It really makes it part of the park right in the action. Take cyclone on the other hand, on one side is a car park, on the other side is the back areas for the shops in ocean parade, there are no rides nearby, just some you can see in the distance, and it has no viewing areas or main paths so it is out of the buzz of the main park, and to top it off on the exit all you see is ugly stuff. Now by surrounding Cyclone with slides etc you bring it into the action, it may not be the same park but it will improve its atmosphere with more people, rides and theming around(presuming they theme the waterpark). It also could act as a link ,eg people on cyclone would see the fun of the waterpark below and the people on the park would get a good look at cyclone, this would establish a connection that could encourage people to visit the other park, working in their favour. Also the GP might see the two parks as one and the same, they might see the waterpark as part of DW, so again it wont work to make it "seperate".

Edited by Gazza

Was just looking at the 'NBGS International' website. At "Taman Desa Water Park" in Malaysia, they have or had (can't seem to find a current or active website) a 'family blaster' which from the pictures looks exactly the same as a mammoth ride, just with the master blaster technology. This would be a great addition to the DWWP!!! A mammoth-styled ride PLUS a master blaster all rolled into one??? WOW!

Edited by OzCoasterFreek

yeah, a few parks have "family blasters" (Wild Wadi, Schlitterbahn to name a couple) They are a cool idea, but i think they would lack the airtime of a normal master blaster as well as requiring massive amounts of power to get the thing uphill. Though a cool idea i have seen done with them is just to have one uphill the entire way to an elevated pool, but the other one downhill all the way. No need for stairs or boat lift. But just a couple of things i have thought of i would like to see: -A mammoth slide, but instead of big 180* turns like at WnW, i think it would be better if it had a drop about 1/3 of the tower height to give it some decent speed, but then after that have just mostly 45* turns. This would be better because i think on rafting slides, its not the length of the turns that matters, but the number: the more turns the more wall time you get, and if they are back to back turns you would get a pretty wild ride. Mammoth was great, but the first couple of turns were a bit boring while you gained speed, you could get rid of that by just starting with a drop. -The second idea i think would be good would be an all in one wrist band. At WnW you got your ticket, but then after that you had to stuff around lining up again for splash cash and locker wrist bands. It would be better if at the front gate you just got one wristband (all guests would have one) that would be your entry ticket, cash and locker all into one. You would just say something like "can i please have one adult entry with small locker and $10 splash cash. They would total it, give you your band and that would be it in one simple transaction. Even if you didnt get a locker or credit you would still get a wristband so you could have the option later on. Your wristband could also be part of a possible virtual queing system (rides like terror canyon can get 45 minute queues) but of course it depends on how well the park is run. At the end of the day the entry turnstiles would be run in reverse, you would be able to get any unused credit back, and if you had a return ticket you would get a return slip for the next day which you would trade in for another wristband upon returning. A rule would be in place where if your wristband had been removed you would not be able to use it, this would ensure people couldnt steal them.

yeah, a few parks have "family blasters" (Wild Wadi, Schlitterbahn to name a couple) They are a cool idea, but i think they would lack the airtime of a normal master blaster as well as requiring massive amounts of power to get the thing uphill. Though a cool idea i have seen done with them is just to have one uphill the entire way to an elevated pool, but the other one downhill all the way. No need for stairs or boat lift. But just a couple of things i have thought of i would like to see: -A mammoth slide, but instead of big 180* turns like at WnW, i think it would be better if it had a drop about 1/3 of the tower height to give it some decent speed, but then after that have just mostly 45* turns. This would be better because i think on rafting slides, its not the length of the turns that matters, but the number: the more turns the more wall time you get, and if they are back to back turns you would get a pretty wild ride. Mammoth was great, but the first couple of turns were a bit boring while you gained speed, you could get rid of that by just starting with a drop. -The second idea i think would be good would be an all in one wrist band. At WnW you got your ticket, but then after that you had to stuff around lining up again for splash cash and locker wrist bands. It would be better if at the front gate you just got one wristband (all guests would have one) that would be your entry ticket, cash and locker all into one. You would just say something like "can i please have one adult entry with small locker and $10 splash cash. They would total it, give you your band and that would be it in one simple transaction. Even if you didnt get a locker or credit you would still get a wristband so you could have the option later on. Your wristband could also be part of a possible virtual queing system (rides like terror canyon can get 45 minute queues) but of course it depends on how well the park is run. At the end of the day the entry turnstiles would be run in reverse, you would be able to get any unused credit back, and if you had a return ticket you would get a return slip for the next day which you would trade in for another wristband upon returning. A rule would be in place where if your wristband had been removed you would not be able to use it, this would ensure people couldnt steal them.
They're all good idea but I don't see the park refunding people's splash cash etc. at the end of the day, that's how they make their money so if you don't use it, too bad they say!

• 3 weeks later...

Apprently when Flowrider opens it will cost $5 per a person. I thought it was going to be free, but can you imagine the que line to ride this, and its not like a normal ride where you can line up, go on in a group or something, oh well only a couple of weeks till it opens, so we should see it soon.

I think it will be a part of dreamworld and not the waterpark, i may be wrong but its just my thought, the location of it is sorta still within the park and i dont think it would be added. But time will tell. They actually got rid of the photo store at the end when you walk out so you can see your pics, its now near the entry to the cyclone. Here is a pic of where its been built. Its kinda rough but gives you guys an idea if u havent seen it yet. http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2990/flow...location9wu.jpg

Edited by mattcrombie

Well Flowrider is taking shape from what I could see, they have opened the area up and concreted it all. Should be up and going at the end of June around the 24th I would say. It has a rotation of 30 people every 15 minutes. Also heard from a person that it will be staying within the dreamworld park and there will be a entry to the Water park for those people who have tickets to hop from Dreamworld to the Water park with out using the front entry.

Found this interesting article on Dreamworld's upcoming Flowrider from a surfing site - THE FLOWRIDER HITS DREAMWORLD Date: 18-05-2006 Dreamworld is riding the crest of imagination to the perfect wave introducing a brand new, unrivalled, aquatic experience never before seen in Australia. Born from the roots of surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding and body boarding, the FlowRider is set to take the nation by storm. With 27 installations worldwide and a global visitor count of over fifteen million per year, Dreamworld is bringing the ultimate fusion of board sports down under. Don’t dwell on a lack of swell because the surf’s up at Dreamworld, now the only place guaranteed to give you a decent wave all year round. Opening June 2006, FlowRider will provide a controlled environment where the water is warm and the waves are on tap. FlowRider generates a thin sheet of rushing water that flows over a stationary form allowing riders to drop in on their own unbroken wave, slide down, carve a turn, cut back and ride up the padded surface. Pro surfers, skaters and snowboarders from around the world are flocking to FlowRider, pushing the limits and trying to figure out new ways to ride the wave. But you don’t have to be a pro to be in the know, regardless of age and skill, everybody can now experience the rush of riding a wave. This unique and interactive experience combines thrills and skills for the whole family providing a safe platform for novices and a challenging stage for competitive board riding enthusiasts to show off their skills. The flexible, trampoline-like base is designed to handle any wipeout meaning you can go hard form the word go. Dreamworld will build a multi-million dollar, high energy, recreational zone to house the Australian first complete with merchandise shop, food outlet and a hip bar to chill out and take in the action. Dreamworld’s surfing CEO, Stephen Gregg said the FlowRider is the very latest in a collection of innovative rides and attractions introduced at Dreamworld and is just a taste of things to come. “The addition is part of a new generation of attractions bringing brand new experiences to life and is set to capture the youth culture like never before.” Mr Gregg said the FlowRider will create Australia’s first self contained, flexible and safe surfing environment for families to try a brand new sport on a perfect perpetual wave. The iconic landmark is set to find a cult following on the coast where the more you do it, the more you love it. “And the better you get at it, so every time you ride, you can improve your skill, perform for the crowd and maybe even realise a dream.” FlowRider is both an interactive skill ride and an exhilarating surf show where spectators can enjoy watching as much as participants enjoy riding. “In the future, our goal is to offer “Flowboarding” competitions that showcase the awesome skills of some of the top board sports professionals in the world.” “The attraction will provide a wonderful new venue at Dreamworld complete with awesome theming and lighting to create unique, world class events after dark,” Mr Gregg said. To ensure everyone has the opportunity to have a go, 15 people can rotate in a thirty minute FlowRider session for just $5 per person. After hours access, eventing and FlowRider competitions will be introduced at Dreamworld in the near future. The wave is heated and will be accessible all year round so be one of the first to experience the FlowRider at Dreamworld and get ready to get wet.

Well the site certainly looks good... I think Movie World could learn a few lessons from them. It's kinda a similar style to MW's Superman Escape site, only it actually works and isn't ridiculous. However, I am somewhat concerned at the amount of effort DW is putting into this attraction. They have labelled it their 'next big attraction' which is worrying as I would not really consider it to be such. They also mention that it is the first of a new generation of attractions bringing experiences to life. This combined with a statement from a park spokesman makes it sound like they are trying to turn DW into an 'experience' park rather than a theme park. This would mean they could spend less capital on big new rides and put in far more cheaper attractions like this.. which is possibly what they are planning

• 2 weeks later...

Today I seen a man Walking around At Pacific fair advertising the Flowrider. He had a LCD TV above his head attached to his backpack. It was playing some shots of the Flowrider in action. I got some stickers and leaflets. A lot of advertising for this attraction. Is it worth it? Don't get me wrong i think its great.