PS3 to Launch in Europe and Australasia on 23rd March 2007

dreamworld_rulz

PS3 to Launch in Europe and Australasia on 23rd March 2007 Thursday, January 25, 2007 ninemsn Sony Computer Entertainment Europe today announced that PlayStation 3 will be launched in the PAL territories of Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Australasia on 23rd March 2007 at an Australian retail price of AU$999.95. :o Initially only the 60GB model would be available, with the 20GB model to follow later in the year dependent on demand. advertisement SCEE has also confirmed that over 30 game titles for PS3 will be available at launch including such titles as Resistance: Fall of Man, MotorStorm, Genji: Days of the Blade, Formula One Championship Edition and Ridge Racer 7. Also available for download will be titles such as Tekken: Dark Resurrection and Gran Turismo HD Concept; the fully-featured PS3 debut of the best-selling franchise Gran Turismo, realised with full HD (1080p) visual quality. The full launch title line-up will include: Resistance: Fall of Man MotorStorm Genji: Days of the Blade Formula One Championship Edition Ridge Racer 7 Tekken: Dark Resurrection Lemmings Go! Sudoku Go! Puzzle Blast Factor flOw Super Rub'a'Dub Call of Duty 3 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Tony Hawk’s Project 8 Gundam – Target in Sight Full Auto 2: Battle Lines Sonic the Hedgehog Virtua Fighter 5 Virtua Tennis 3 World Snooker Championship 2007 NBA 2K7 NHL 2K7 Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWll Enchanted Arms Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent The Elder Scrolls lV: Oblivion Def Jam: Icon Fight Night Round 3 NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007 Need for Speed Carbon The Godfather: The Don’s Edition Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom F.E.A.R. Gripshift Is anyone going to buy one?

Well I got Wii! :P 'Tis good enough for me. $999 is a ridiculous launch price! I know it comes with a Blu-Ray drive, but if I wanted to watch Blu-Ray DVD's, I'd just buy a player for them. Even if it was cheaper I still doubt I'd buy it, I guess it's just not appealing to me...

I probably wont get one because it doesnt interest me, but I personally dont see it as a rip off, I mean its pretty high end and getting a PC box alone that could do the same things would be much more expensive. IMO it would have to be bad value for money to be a rip off, and just because something costs a lot does not constitute being rip off. If you were after a sort of media center for your lounge it could be a viable option, but I wouldnt spend that sort of money soley for the games it has. Ill stick to my Wii for now and wait a while for super duo players to become cheaper (At least that way it doesnt matter if one of the high def disc formats fail)

WARNING - This first paragraph is important: One thing about the Blue-ray on the PS3 is that you won't get the full quality of the DVD if you don't have a very high definition t.v. :o Alot of people don't realise this and will probably what there moneys back only to realise that their t.v's is what the problem is. ^_^ As for what I think about it: Well it is alot of money and because I don't play PS2 enough to fully enjoy the new console, You won't see me getting it. And if I do I'll be getting the one with the smaller hard drive and also making sure that the price has decreased alot!! :P CoasterBoy6

Edited by Coaster Boy 8

I already have both a Wii and a 360. I will not be getting a PS3 as $999 for one console is not worth it when you consider there are NO PS3 exclusive games released on it at the moment. I see this thing as a ploy to get Blu-ray into peoples homes with a games console added on. I recently got a gold subscription to XBOX Live for my 360 and it is one of the most easiest things to setup, even easier if you already have a .NET Passport. Sony has a lot of catching up to do with their online services. Got a feeling it will be either the Wii or the 360 that will be superior this time around. It is good to see Nintendo release a product that has such high demand the only way of getting one now is to order one. Also, if you are after a view from a developers point of view one can be found at http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

• 2 weeks later...

While I won't be buying one for at least 6 months after the release, I still think that they are good value when you consider that a BluRay player on it's own is going to set you back $1600 at the moment. And as Coaster said you need a High Def TV to support the PS3 to it's full extent, but that goes for the player as well. "The Bus is now leaving for Rushforth Road Playing Fields, NSW"