Southern Star Observation Wheel Update

varekai

^ Nah not yet. It seems like it's taking ages <_< Since my last photo update, nothing has really progressed. Just a little tidying up here and there. It's openning on the 28th next week. So next friday. I might be able to get to the wheel during my school holidays to ride it and take pictures. The shopping complex behind it, 'Harbour Town' has been open for around 3 weeks now, so everything should be nearly complete around the outskirts of the wheel.

I think about a month ago the media had some stories about how the management of the wheel claimed that there wouldn't be a 'family package' price, but rather you would have to buy 2 adult and 2 children tickets seperately coming to a total cost of just under $100. Would you be willing to pay this for your family to get a half an hour ride in the 'pod' only rising to the same height as a "40 story building" (as quoted on the official wheel website)? To me, it seems like a complete waste of money especially when you can go up to the skydeck in the Eureka Tower (or even the Rialto Tower) which is on level 88, stay there as long as you want with a better view, have access to toilets, food, drink and staff to ask questions for the whole time you're there. Sure, there is the novelty of being on a moving platform but I have a feeling that after locals realise it's not worth the money, all they'll be getting is a few overseas/interstate tourists. Seems like the whole thing is a complete waste of time. Maybe it's just me?

• 4 weeks later...
Just got an email, but the wheel has its grand opening (with fireworks) tomorrow. Any of our Victorian members going to check it out?
Hmm that's interesting. Throughout this week it's been a rumour that it will open today. Looks like it was true. Sorry Gazza, i wish i couldv'e gone today, but I didn't see your post and we r very bussy this time of year, with christmas shopping and everything. So it looks like i won't be able to go today :( . But hopefully over these school holidays, i'll be able to go down and get some good shots, and mabey even a video up. :)
THIS JUST IN: the wheel has opened today and was just featured on 7 news moments ago , 21 pods , 20 people each, and 3rd of its kind in the world apart from london thing , singapore flyer, and this wheel if that makes sense.typing fast with shock.
hahahaha same. I was a bit taken a back when i saw it pop up onto the news. But yer what you said, pretty much sums it up. They had some good video footage. Hopefully that will be up on the web soon, so everyone can see it. Apparently the LED's on the wheel, are going to look really spectacular at night. So hopefully when I go to ride the wheel, i'll go at around 6 at night, so i can get some shots of the wheel at night and during the day. I don't know if this has been asked before here, but i was wondering what people think of the wheel. e.g. Was it really needed in Melbourne?. Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

• 1 year later...