TV Commercial from the 80's (Cade's County Waterpark)

peter241

Update "GIANT kangaroo mascot Matilda, star of the 1982 Brisbane Commonwealth Games, could soon be winking at drivers on the Gold Coast Highway. Arguing the 13m fibreglass roo is a piece of 'public art' with heritage value, Gold Coast councillors have overturned an earlier decision banning Matilda from the highway. Matilda Fuel Supplies will be permitted to place the Games mascot outside its Tugun petrol station on the condition she continues to wear a medallion with the Commonwealth Games logo. The petrol chain proposed putting its own logo around the kangaroo's neck, but keeping the Games logo would bypass advertising rules. Cr Greg Betts said retaining the Games logo would get around guidelines banning advertising structures taller than 10m. But Cr Bob La Castra opposed the plans, saying the petrol chain could put up a sign saying 'Matilda' and claim it simply gave the kangaroo's name, rather than advertising the petrol station. Cr Dawn Crichlow said Matilda should be regarded as a vehicle because she was on wheels, and the council could not prevent vehicles being parked on public land." http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/0...coast-news.html Another G.C.C.C backflip.

Updated update:) GYMPIE has revealed plans to snatch giant kangaroo mascot Matilda from the Gold Coast. The town has already granted approval to display the 1982 Brisbane Commonwealth Games mascot outside a petrol station, while the Gold Coast City Council deliberated on an identical proposal. Gympie Mayor Ron Dyne said the Gold Coast was simply too slow. "The development application was going to take some time so they then applied in Gympie and we approved a development application in fairly short order last year," said Cr Dyne. Cr Dyne said the 13m fibreglass mascot was undergoing mechanical repairs near Caboolture but was expected in Gympie soon. "I understand the concrete pad is already being poured out at the servo in Gympie," he said. Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke wasn't worried about losing Matilda to Gympie. "Not as long as it's being displayed, that's fine by me," he said. But Cr Dawn Crichlow was hopping mad since the Gold Coast was bidding for the Commonwealth Games.

• 10 years later...
On 04/05/2008 at 2:37 PM, Mad Hatter said:

the area movieworld and wet n wild are located is actually called cades county, it got its name when the developer (col herringe) named the area after one of his sons. Thats where the name of the original park came from way back then, i remember going as a kid when i was young, I remember riding the speed slide with my grandmother who lost her glasses in the splash down pool. Nothing really left of the original park anymore, everything has been removed or upgraded. From memory, all they started off was with the flumes (used to ride a matt), the speed slide, the toboggan (i cant remember the same of it) and the wave pool. I remember the kids area from my childhood but i cant remember if it came later. Here's a photo for you, notice something interesting in the background? scan7.jpg Anyone remember matilda? wonder where she went?

Seems like she went to Kybong. A small town about 2 hours north of Wet N Wild.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-04/matilda-at-puma-kybong/9538888?nw=0&pfmredir=sm

Think it ended up near Gympie

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-04/matilda-at-puma-kybong/9538888?nw=0&pfmredir=sm

Yeah, it's been at the Kybong travel stop for years, which itself has now been bypassed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-26.3068695,152.7214337,3a,40.7y,297.05h,90.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4VM_8s5q9cinCT-iAV80qA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I stopped off to have a look when I was passing through one evening, still open but shadow of its former self with a massive food court that has been cleared of chairs and multiple areas closed off, so it just feels desolate.

Edited by Gazza

12 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Yeah, it's been at the Kybong travel stop for years, which itself has now been bypassed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-26.3068695,152.7214337,3a,40.7y,297.05h,90.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4VM_8s5q9cinCT-iAV80qA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I stopped off to have a look when I was passing through one evening, still open but shadow of its former self with a massive food court that has been cleared of chairs and multiple areas closed off, so it just feels desolate.

Used to be a really busy servo that one - the bypass has hit it bad. I wonder if there are plans for a few servo's on the next stage, as there aren't any on the actual highway from Beerburrum north at the moment. Gympie is our first driver swap point if we head north.

16 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Used to be a really busy servo that one - the bypass has hit it bad. I wonder if there are plans for a few servo's on the next stage, as there aren't any on the actual highway from Beerburrum north at the moment. Gympie is our first driver swap point if we head north.

Forest Glen?