East Coast Rollercoaster Tour

stdragon03

Canon and Nikon are definitely the best. Anything current from them, regardless of the model will be an excellent camera. These brands price from about $400 up, I'd personally just buy whatever the cheapest in your price range is. Optical zoom is definitely something you should consider. They always advertise digital zoom, but as a general rule you'll never even turn digital zoom on because you loose quality (it's the same basic process as blowing an image up on your computer, so if you wanted to do that you can do it on a PC anyway). Look at Canon and Nikon. You're travelling, so like me you'll probably prefer a smaller camera that can slip in and out of a pocket easily. The Canon IXUS range are really unrivaled in that department, and range in price from about $500 up to $1,000. If you're after a cheaper alternative, give Kodak a look. I've had two Kodak digital cameras which I found paled in comparison to anything Canon cameras have done for me. They're still give reasonably solid results - certainly nothing that I'd consider below decent. Most of the Total Thrills galleries were done with Kodak cameras. Shame about the S:ROSs, but you'll of course still have an absolute ripper of a time. You're making me jealous, and it's not even been four months since I was over there. :)

Wow only just read this thread now - sounds like an awesome trip you have planned! I am jealous :D I'm pretty sure I'm doing a west coast mini tour this Aug/Sept (I'm just in the phase of setting it up now), but I'm dying to get to the east coast sometime. Keep us all informed how it goes. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Trip Report First stop was SFMM on Friday 21st May. I rocked up at 5.00pm in the afternoon running late because of jet lag and getting loss anyway i had 5 hours their.The park was pretty crowded since it was a Friday afternoon.First ride was the X i ve been wanting to ride that since 2001 when i was last over their.The que was 1 hour long which was prepared to line up for.Anyway after i malfunction and a 2hour wait i was on. I my experience of the ride was it is a fun ride but not much more.i found it to shake myself about a bit and the restraints real uncomfortable. Scream I see why people say its rough but i thought it was actually great ride.Maybe that they engineered that shaking into the ride.My only critism of Floorless Coasters their not intense ride say compared to BMs Inverted coaster. Other rides Goliath best in the park Gold rusher Great fun especially at night De ju va Disappointing since last time i rode. Ninja My favourite of the night also i felt during the day its a good ride but at night it goes into another leaque Batman nothing changed with this over the years it always maintained a great standard would be my favourite but ninja out matched it especially at night. Cheers Ed

.2nd trip report Knotts berry Farm & Las vegas 22.05.04 I only spent a few hours as i was very sick and jet lag.the park was packed so just rode Ghostrider and Excellerator. Ghostrider Probaly my favourite woody lots of airtime and lot of crossovers which i liked. The line was at least an hours wait.i would like to go back and get some more rerides someday. Excellerator an excellent launch coaster but i cant wait to the make these coasters longer than a i trick pony. 23-25 Las vegas Took a Greyhound bus to Las vegas it took around 9hours and i was warned about and didn't listen and hated People were rude they packed the bus.I sat near some stoned out people that never heard of deodorant. i was only staying one night but because of being crook i stayed and rested and extra day. Anyway i really enjoyed Vegas.i did most of the coasters and attractions. Manhattan Express very uncomfortable and rough ride. Speed the Ride the pick of the coasters a good Launch coaster. High roller very boring for a coaster but great view. X scream a Waste of money Big shot lots of fun. Star Trek the Experience is Great i loved it but only if you like that sort of thing.My favourite was the Gondola rides at the Venetian hotel. An experience was better than being in venice i reckon. Flying to Newyork to sick to Bus Across like i planned.

Too bad about being sick dude. I had the same thing happen to me when I went to LA which lost me 3 days (but I made up for it with a 1day DLR hopper pass). Interesting to hear about Xscream being a waste of money, it looks like an insane ride. What was it about it that made it a rip off? Hope you start feeling better, keep us posted!

The sickness came for me between Vegas and Texas. Still not entirely sure what it was. I'm still tossing up between a packet of greasy dodgy tortillas I bought at a roadhouse in Arizona, or a rotten Subway I got in Arlington, Texas. It got me sick for two days solid, but I managed to creep out of bed and walk across the road to SFOT to ride the coasters and Superman:TOP (it's not like me to let a little violent illness get in the way of coasters). Sounds like you're having a good time, even with the unfortunate illness. Did you do the Anaheim to Las Vegas or Downtown LA to Las Vegas Greyhound route? Downtown LA's where all the suss people tend to go from. At the Anaheim stop, you're boarding a bus that's come from San Diego, so the folk are a little better. Good to hear you abandoned the Greyhounds. They tend to be quite a bit nicer on the east coast, with less questionable people, but flying's still the way to go, and it's not significantly more expensive. Good to hear from you. Be sure to keep us posted on how it all goes.

How are you all doing.Its been a week and i have no access to a computer.Since then i have been in the thick of things Lots of driving and Coaster riding.Actually i wont be doing this again for awhile at least.Anyway Heres a couple Trip reports Cedar Point 1st-3rd June. A wonderful Amusement Park its Not Scenic like a theme Park But very Friendly and Efficient in Terms of handling crowds and Ride Cues.All the Major Rides would have at least 6 Ride operators Pumping the People through their rides and encourage the people to enjoy the rides they look like that they enjoy what they are doing.majority of the coasters had wait time ( with exception of Total Thrill Dragster and Millenium Force) walk on to 10 minutes Max. My highlights Would be Total thrill Dragster the launch was exhilirating to say the least and the Drop the best in the world.i Manage to get 3 rides on it due to large wait and poor weather the next day.My only disapointment this is only a one trick pony and cannot run in the rain even the slightest. Raptor my overall Favourite ride in the Park they had three trains going and what would have been a 30-60Minute waite was only 10 -15 max.At night it was virtually walk on.Great pacing and all the elements were well design. Millenium Force To me was a good ride with a great Drop but not much after eventhough it travel with alot of speed throughout.Having ridden Both Millenium Force and SteelDragon.My vote would be Steeldragon as the best. Magnum xlr which i think is a better Ride than MF. Gemini my first actuall racing coaster which we had lot fun on. Overall i can honestly say that out of the 14coasters i went on their wouldnt be a bad Ride.All rides were in good Condition and Fun.

Trip report Geuaga Lake & Kings Island Geauga Lake (Formely SixFlags World of Adventure) A small Park in a Nice area not to crowded but lots of school kids hanging around which made it a little Uncomfortable also the staff wasn't as enthusiastic as Cedar Point.Most rides Were walk on.My highlight Dominator a Bollinger Mallibard Floorless it is a fun ride and walk on after a few rides it actually got boring. Big Dipper A very old Wooden coaster but had loads of Airtime and spent half the ride out of your seat. Steel Venom. An Intamin Impulse Launch Shuttle Coaster not as good as wicket Twister but Fun. Villian was Jerky and uncomfortable to ride.The same with X flight Flyer. THe Boomerang Coaster made the Demon at wonderland look a Decent Ride, Kings Island THe day we went the Park was Packed lots of Teenagers and Kids.The lines for everthing would be over and hour long.So we picked and choose what we wanted ride. The BeastWooden Coaster Talk about a diamond in the Rough.Oasis in a Mirage.I have to say the Best Wooden Coaster i have been on Including Raven and Legend at holiday world. eventhough it has been heavily braked throughout the ride. At night it was Mind blowing riding through Those Helix turns in Pitch Black tunnels.My Favourite of the Trip. Son Of Beast Wooden Coaster Talk about Contrast Probaly the worst ride including Thunderbolt at Dreamworld,Boomerang at Geauga Lake.The Restraints were very Uncomfortable it was rough and Jerky i got of bruised and Battered. The Dissapointment of the Trip. THe other Highlights of this Park would be Racer Wooden Coaster a Very fun ride especially doing it Backwards i was surprised you get airtime going backwards. Delirium Gyro Swing I lined up for and Hour and ten minutes with capacity of 50 People it sure was moving slow.I hope thats not the same with the one being built in Dreamworld.Anyway it was a good ride Pulls lots of Gs and swings up to 270 degrees into the Air.You are virtually upside down. Kings Island is in a nice setting but i think it has only one or two decent attractions Compare with Cedar Point it really doesnt.The Beast is worth it. Off to Busch Gardens Today and i will do a trip Report for Holiday World and Dollywood later. Cheers Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Today i completed all the amusement parks of my trip.i have done 15 parks in the last 3weeks its been a marathon.I just spent a wonderful week doing an East Coast Trek with bunch of great guys from Rideworld coaster club visiting Sixflags America,Great Adventure,New England which put out the red carpet for us(Superman ride of steel was open and it does live upto its reputation).Lake compounce another small scenic park with a great wooden coaster boulder dash. Great escape Lake George,Hersheys and Knoebels and the Pheonix Air Machine Coaster. My highlights of the trip would be the new Friends i met.and some of the most Bueatiful parks and the great coasters too many to mention sorry.My coaster count has Quadripled and i have stopped counting and my top ten has changed in a enormus way. i am flying home tomorrow absolutely coastered out. Take Care Ed

• 1 month later...

Mantis is a good standup but i found it very uncomfortable ride since ive only just got over a stress fracture in my left ankle. Wicked twister was good it was my first ride for the first day i was their due to no one lining up. Meanstreak i found it to be erraticm,on the first day i was their in the afternoon it was great.next day very jolty and painful. Dragster and Raptor were my favourites.A friend of mine who goes their on a regular basis said that Raptor is running really well better than the last couple of years.The best inverted coaster today. Ed