Parkz new competition

Lscia8

Why don't you guys build the app on Flex? That way you'll be building one code that'll run on iOS, Android, BB and the desktop without any need to port it over. Considering the primary function of the app is fairly simple (retrieving data from a database and displaying it), it should be pretty basic with Flex.

Edited by Flea

Why don't you guys build the app on Flex? That way you'll be building one code that'll run on iOS, Android, BB and the desktop without any need to port it over. Considering the primary function of the app is fairly simple (retrieving data from a database and displaying it), it should be fairly simple with Flex.

You have NO IDEA how this app works. it aint that simple what so ever, i dont want to give too much away but majority of the code is scanning for a change in an integer value of a specific time period. then relays that to a 0-255 scale/60/10. and thats only the basics. then there is code that make sure someone isn't blocking a sensor to give a false value, then there a ride op override control so if the ride closes etc and im hoping to be able to add a how many trains for superman etc feature

I'm a bit unsure about what this app is or what it'll do, but sounds like a solution looking for a problem. An interesting novelty if nothing else... The average park-goer will hop in a queue -- any queue -- because the ride looks fun. If the queue appears too long then they won't join it. Looking at a map of the park online is probably more pre-planning than the vast majority do before visiting a park. Pass-holders or fans will know how long a queue is by looking at it.

Assuming it was turned into a paid app eventually, don't Movieworld provide this service (on a board at least) for free and as far as paying goes, DW has Q4U? I agree with Richard, a nice fun novelty and good on you for giving something a go, but he's right, pass-holders can tell and tourists/non-frequent visitors will queue for anything. PLUS, compare our queues to pretty much any park overseas and they're nothing. (In terms of theming as well :P)

We're not trying to tell the queue time to people who are at the line, we're trying to tell them before they get there so they can get the most out of their day. Of course it's mainly aimed at locals as tourists/one time visitors don't care about the queue time as much. An example. A group of friends are having lunch at Ocean Parade and really want to do Giant Drop afterwards. They walk over to the queue line to see that it's too long and they're not prepared to wait that long. So they walk to TOTII and see that's too long too and so they just go ride a high capacity ride like Wipeout. With something like Park Buddy they could plan which ride to do straight away and save time walking around, which in this case could be a while to get to the ride then ponder, discuss and move on. I've seen it happen to so many people. Let's even put this into the case of a one time visiting family. They are told that the best ride is Superman Escape at Movie World, but when they get there, the line is massive. Whilst they're in queue for other rides, rather than Superman, they could check the queue line for Superman, and as soon as it gets to a reasonable length for them, they could go hop in line after the ride they're currently in line for. Obviously the bigger the park the more useful it is, so hopefully as the parks grow, Park Buddy can continue to grow with them and add more rides to the application. Don't forget, there's also more features to the application - ride closures and a GPS map system, which are pretty self explanatory. We're also going to do more with the data the sensors collected and allow the parks to customize and use the data as they wish.

I'd say it's a better version of the Q4U without the whole virtual queuing bit and those extra features I mentioned. The only big difference is that Park Buddy is free, giving access to all park visitors, and does not have a limited availability. The only thing Park Buddy might have problems with are night time events (no sun = no power) and VERY overcast days. But that amount of overcast is only about 20 - 30 days a year on the Gold Coast, so it won't cause too much of a problem.

I'd say it's a better version of the Q4U without the whole virtual queuing bit and those extra features I mentioned. The only big difference is that Park Buddy is free, giving access to all park visitors, and does not have a limited availability. The only thing Park Buddy might have problems with are night time events (no sun = no power) and VERY overcast days. But that amount of overcast is only about 20 - 30 days a year on the Gold Coast, so it won't cause too much of a problem.

There we go, that's a more formulated response you could learn something from this guy, harrison.

But that amount of overcast is only about 20 - 30 days a year on the Gold Coast, so it won't cause too much of a problem.

Except when another freak summer rolls around and the majority of the days are overcast with rain. All it takes is one bad user experience for them to never use it again... you might want to rethink how your units are powered. EDIT: Just to further elaborate on this point, and Harrison please don't take offence to this -- remember it's all constructive criticism -- but you talk about considering all kinds of variables when you guys are really underestimating the potential issues that solar power can cause. What if there are weeks of continuous overcast days? What if all of your users visit on overcast days? Edited by Flea

That's one of the problems we thought of (we actually thought of it at Fright Nights). We're looking at solar panels that also store power, or just adding two extra panels per ride system. There'll most likely be 15 sensors per ride, and these'll take about 2 of our small solar panels to power them all through a really thin wire connecting them all on the roof/wherever we hide them (hiding them to not ruin any theming). If we were to install one or two extra cells per ride system, then we could save that power for a rain day/week. The only draw back is then there'll be one extra wire, and the less wires the better. And/Or we just explain to the user through a pop-up message (which will come when the input from the sensors is 'No-Data') that it is an overcast day, no sunlight is causing problems and that it will work on other days. I'm sure people have enough reasoning to understand that and use it on their next visits.

Edited by Bmull19

^ You do have a good point. I have to agree, I think you're all right with this overcast/solar panel issue, so there will definitely be a need to work around it. We're not set on solar panels yet, we don't have them purchased just yet (all we have at the moment are sensors), but we'll see how it all unfolds in the next 2 months.

Also, how much effort did it take you to get the parks to agree to this? If it was my decision I'd be pretty hesitant about a bunch of teens wanting to add their own stuff to my park

We're ready to be knocked back, cause we're thinking the same as you. We can offer it to them, and try to persuade them with everything we can, but it doesn't mean they'll accept. We're going to try our best, show them tests of what it is, what it'll do, etc. and just hope for the best, even if it's just one or two parks with it built in at release, hopefully the others will then see that it works, and HOPEFULLY is popular and will want to join in. All we need is a chance from 1 park and pull it off.

Couldn't you just ask the parks if you could just wire into their mains? Surely they wouldn't mind, you're practically doing them a favour.

Sarcasm? Because clearly then they'd be hesitant! :P We don't want them to be any more weary then needed and we want to make the process as simple as possible for them.

We're ready to be knocked back, cause we're thinking the same as you. We can offer it to them, and try to persuade them with everything we can, but it doesn't mean they'll accept. We're going to try our best, show them tests of what it is, what it'll do, etc. and just hope for the best, even if it's just one or two parks with it built in at release, hopefully the others will then see that it works, and HOPEFULLY is popular and will want to join in. All we need is a chance from 1 park and pull it off. Sarcasm? Because clearly then they'd be hesitant! :P We don't want them to be any more weary then needed and we want to make the process as simple as possible for them.

Oh, no sarcasm. I just figured they'd see it for the great idea that it is and would practically be paying for you to install this service in for them. By the way, how much is the app worth on the App Store? A buck, five bucks? I'm sure we'd all love to know how much we will need to pay or how you plan to make a return on installing numerous on-site solar panels and the obvious pain-staking, complex coding that makes such a great system work. Edited by Slick

The app will be free. And we're not in it to make money, so we're not going to be trying to make a return on it. There's not that much cost involved, the main input is time and effort. Besides, Park Buddy will be promoting Outsiders when it releases, and more positive exposure is good.