no more dive in movies

moo82

No - I don't think i'm forgetting anything... firstly - this is in summer - you can't accurately record an increase in numbers just because the movies are on - attendance goes up in summer because it's a waterpark! In recent times the movies have only been on frisat nights, which would be more popular with working families... Secondly - whilst you might entice people to the park specifically for the movie (say - late afternoon entry) how many of these are full-price-ticket paying guests, and not just passholders who are going specifically because it doesn't cost anything, they've had dinner before they got there, and it's just a cheap way to see a movie?

You don't need to accurately record increase in numbers to understand that movie nights are always more popular than standard opening hour days. That's the other thing, putting the movies on entices not only increased attendance, but increased Annual Pass sales, I doubt anyone would pay for a ticket just to go in the afternoon for the movie, and passholders not spending anything in-park will always be a problem (A management problem, that is) but there will always be people ready and willing to buy the park food as you can plainly see from the constant long lines during most peak times of the day. As you said, you can't accurately track the numbers, and it's pretty obvious that's the only reason Dive-In is going the distance, there's no concrete way to tell just how much impact the movies are having on attendance, only the fact that they obviously do affect the numbers positively (We just don't know how much) and for that reason they'd likely prefer to have special events like Fright Nights instead. I stay grounded in my opinion that there is no way the Dive-in Movies did not affect numbers and revenue positively, but I understand why it's going. Although I think they really should have just closed the waterslides once the movie starts so there'd be little extra running costs.

Edited by BemaniAK

Easier to close the park at normal operating time, than open just the wave pool for movies - trying clearing that park without additional security. You can't just turn off the slides and send the staff home - Each 'area' still needs supervision to ensure people don't enter areas they aren't supposed to. In my opinion it's got to be all or nothing.

Although I think they really should have just closed the waterslides once the movie starts so there'd be little extra running costs.

Not sure why you'd ruin everyone's fun by closing the slides to reduce running costs at those times. Some people watched the movies at night, some people enjoyed riding the slides at night. I personally have done both.

Not sure why you'd ruin everyone's fun by closing the slides to reduce running costs at those times.

Because businesses want money, not fun. Ultimately because of the whole way they need to set it up, they're stopping the Movies, I would have preferred closed rides after sundown rather than no late nights at all, but Alex already made the good point of security, may as well leave the rides open since they'd otherwise have to secure all the blocked areas anyway. Edited by BemaniAK

On the other hand, I'd prefer late nights with no movies, but lots of slides.

True, that's why it's very possible they'll start doing late night events like fright nights. I remember a while ago having a 10pm New Year celebration at WnW before, the park was open like an hour in between the movie and the new year countdown.

True, that's why it's very possible they'll start doing late night events like fright nights. I remember a while ago having a 10pm New Year celebration at WnW before, the park was open like an hour in between the movie and the new year countdown.

They had one last year for kids i think but only went to 10pm

Yes, all they need is a projector that can throw across a lit pool, a building to house it in, an upgraded sound system... hmmm... what else.... Maybe a projection screen?

Why would the projector need to the that far away? I'm sure someone could come up with an easier way to get one up close. You're also talking about a themepark which works in millions of dollars for rides, a hundred grand or so on a once off purchase of the equipment (not talking maint, running costs etc) wouldn't be that much of a stretch for them.

Well clearly that's not my, or your strong point. That's why I said someone, not necessarily either of us.

No, I think it's a ridiculous suggestion to put it in the pool, but you seemed to imply it. Nor can the projector go near the edge of of the pool, closer to the front because that would be well out of the limit for offset. It's not a case of strong or weak points on my part, or some one magically "coming up" with a solution to the technically/operationally impractical. AlexB is right, the only way would be for the projector to go on dry land at the front of the wave pool, just like how it was done at WnW. I suppose a 2nd option could be a rear projection screen, (with an inflatable screen floating in the pool, WnW Hawaii style) but I can't see that being a big money saver. Edited by Gazza

You can get 3 types of projectors with the smaller the more expensive..... Long- standard projector bout everywhere and in cinemas Medium- modified to fit closer and work at a sight downwards angle. And short- like a smart board projector, it sit right at the top of the screen and faces down.... Now unless you like your own weird fibre optics projection system long is the only practical way because medium and short don't work for cinema type projections......

*giggle* As an alternative - what about an LED wall? They're only about 8 inches thick, they matrix together pretty well as big as you like. They're not the clearest of image systems, but they'd be bright enough, no hassles for projection housings, and you keep all of your control systems behind the pool, out of the way. Not a bad idea - the only issue I see is obtaining relatively recent films to show in a DVD type format (but that wouldn't be too hard I presume?) One issue I can see is that unlike Village Roadshow - who themselves have access to a large array of popular movies - What kind of 'cheap' easy access would Ardent have? Lastly - Assuming that the rear of the pool isn't built to support the weight of the LED system - so a new structure would need to be built to house it? They could even hire it in just for the summer season - take a look at the LED walls they use on Australia's Got Talent... those things move on stage (sliding door style) so a static rig wouldn't be too hard??? Someone in the industry would have to fill me in on the cost differences between the LED and a projection system though...

From a hire perspective though... say the 3 big weeks surrounding christmas... they get these things for football games, V8 Supercars, and large dance parties. I don't think it would be a prohibitive cost - even make the 'after hours' section an additional cost... upsell for cabanas etc. It'd be doable for a short term gig...