Disney Kingdom Resort for Australia (brainstorming)

omega237

Agreed AlexB, even in MWs first years they had themes for attractions as diverse as Looney Tunes, the Gremlins, young Einstein, Batman, Police Academy and a live Western show...a pretty diverse set.

All Warner Brothers properties....with the overarching theme being Warner Brothers film history. Not argueing with you, just saying it was all under the same theme. I also need to point out the Scooby Doo ride is based on the WB film franchise and not the original HB cartoon series. Edited by colliric_855

argueing

Learn to spell.

All Warner Brothers properties....with the overarching theme being Warner Brothers film history.

Yeah, but despite that, it still gives them a fair bit of room to move in terms of the types of attractions they could develop.

Marvel just doesn't have that breadth.

And Marvel has plenty of kid-friendly propular franchises under their ownership.

Such as?

After all Marvel is a dynamic graphic art company and isn't just limited to "the superhero stuff". And "technical attractions" would also include a Marvel Studios Special Effects show, A Stunt Arena, Various shows as well as an attraction based around educating kids on how Comics are made.

Wow, an attraction based around learning how comics are made. Sounds completely appealing and interesting :rolleyes:

Sorry to go off topic on the off-topic topic, but we need an option like facebook where you can view the edit history of a person's post. Both Gazza and RWC edited posts on the previous page between 9 and 10am today. it'd be interesting to know what transpired.

RWC - I can't say there will be any consequences, considering our geographic separation, but i'm going to strongly suggest not starting on name calling. My statement regarding the production companies responsible was based on your statement regarding Marvel having to approach those production companies for rights.

You argued that it wouldn't all be about superheroes, but would be a marvel comic park, and then spent several paragraphs explaining why you'd be using the movie franchises. Apart from the fact that we're discussing a Disney park, therefore taking this topic well off-topic as it is, you haven't even formulated a cohesive concept.

Lastly, a park such as WBMW is a park based on 'movies', lending particular attachment to WB, VR, and their related indicia. Just like Universal is a park based on 'movies'. What both these major production studio companies have in common is a stable of wide-ranging diverse assets, from comedy, childrens and drama to horror, western and everything in between.

A marvel park would focus on the superheroes, simply because few people could name anything else owned by Marvel that ISN'T super-hero related.

It would be like installing 'Mr Toad's Wild Ride' into Movie World today. Few people know where the attraction comes from, and even fewer understand the backstory as to why. It remains where it is today because it is a staple attraction from a bygone era that stands for reminiscence...

So please - tell us all of these different 'non super hero' licenses that Marvel could employ to theme such a park, and show us how relevant that would actually be.

(and can an admin perhaps split this into a separate 'Marvel park for Australia (Brainstorming) thread?)

I edit posts just to add stuff I thought about later. If you must know I added the last two paragraphs after remembering that Scooby is in fact based off the film franchise and not the original HB property. So yeah I guess I added the spelling mistake! And on the previous page, I changed the list of Marvel Films(because I forgot about Hulk and also their upcoming sequels).

Edited by colliric_855

So what else could you do in a marvel theme park other than stuff themed around characters with superhuman abilities.

Umm.... http://www.emirates247.com/business/economy-finance/marvel-theme-park-to-open-in-dubai-by-2013-end-2012-06-26-1.464730 Someone's already building one in Dubai.... This article includes the original proposed plans from 2007: http://pursuitist.com/marvel-adventure-theme-park-dubai/ Notice the Nic kids area... Obviously the "updated version" would probably not include that area, unless that was through a seperate license.

The 350,000 square feet Marvel Adventure family entertainment centre will include retail outlets, dining facilities and a range of interactive entertainment experiences featuring Marvel characters.

Although I realise that the article refers to the project as a 'theme park' the above quote is a far better description - it is a family entertainment centre.

Looking at the layouts shown, it looks like the layout was lifted directly from USS.

They just broke ground, but i'm fairly certain it won't be quite the theme park we'd expect from that description....

Although I realise that the article refers to the project as a 'theme park' the above quote is a far better description - it is a family entertainment centre. Looking at the layouts shown, it looks like the layout was lifted directly from USS.

The Layout shown there is from when the proposal was a full Theme Park proposal back in 2007. They've changed it since then. But boy that layout brings Movie World to mind... Which is very interesting.

But boy that layout brings Movie World to mind... Which is very interesting.

How so? It doesn't look anything like the dog-leg layout that is movie world... it's more of the wheel style layout seen in Universal Singapore.

If you look at it, it's divisions closely match that of the Madagascar area, Faire Faire Away, Jurassic Park, EgyptThe Mummy etc. It even has the 'two lanes' leading back to main street - one close to the water which avoids 'sci-fi city', and one that goes through it and then dog-legs back...

Come on - someone else tell me that they can see that too?

The original layout was much more like USS than MW. The only similarities I can draw to MW would be that there is a superhero-themed area in the front-left and a kids area on the right. That's it. Using that same level of logic we could say IOA has a layout similar to MW.

It's also worth pointing out that the current plans are not for a Marvel theme park, nor a family entertainment centre. Amazingly enough Marvel will actually be one themed area in the IMG Worlds of Adventure theme park. Definitely not proof that Marvel could hold itself as a standalone park.

post-2117-0-08199100-1379549526_thumb.pn

The most plausible plan for Disney and Marvel is that they will integrate Marvel into their existing theme parks (as they are already starting to do with Iron Man and Thor at Disneyland) or create new themed areas in new parks (such as that rumoured for the Disneyland Resort) which cover multiple themes such as Marvel, Star Wars and Avatar.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a small scale disneyland resort could be very successful in Australia. If you just take the best parts of disneyland and put it in it could be affordable for disney. I'd out I the following; Sleeping beauty's castle Peter pans flight Tea cups Disneyland railroad Snow whites scary adventure Pirates of the Caribbean Haunted mansion Space mountain Splash mountain Indiana jones Jungle cruise Tower of terror Main Street USA Micro New Orleans Micro adventure land This would be enough for Australian guests and still leaves enough missing from the American parks for families who would normally travel to still travel there.

I realy want a disney park in Australia!!! Maybe not as large as the American park and it could work. Add a small kids section and a section with attractions like... Rock n rollercoaster The haunted mansion The twilight zone tower of terror Space mountain Big thunder mountain railroad Matterhorn bobsled Soari'n over Australia ------ yeh :) And maybe a couple of unique rides and attractions only found in Australia. Add a resort --- one reort!! A few restaraunts----- not one on every corner And no concert venues like LPS--- maybe one may do but not overdone A small disney park may work in Australia Out of all the American theme parks I really do want to see a Universal Studios in Australia. Bringing movies to life like the Jurassic park ride and a marvel Area with the Incredible Hulk coaster and doctor dooms fear fall for you Marvel fans. And also studio tours ad of course wizarding world of harry pottor. And plus this could bring Halloween to Australia with horror nights just like the American park :). Either park would be amazing but I'm leaning more towards a universal studios Australia !!

Edited by zacsta_1997

Pirates of the Caribbean Haunted mansion Space mountain Splash mountain Indiana jones Tower of terror This would be enough for Australian guests and still leaves enough missing from the American parks for families who would normally travel to still travel there.

But that's just it - you haven't given the overseas visitors anything to visit for as you've just copied whats already in several parks the world over. Sure they could do overlays rethemes, or theme things to a slightly different concept (such as HKDL's haunted mansion equivalent) but you're going to try and do all this on a budget that simply doesn't allow for it.

When we get a new coaster in Australia - the parks can spent up to about $15million dollars. Proposals by companies to build new parks from the ground up have started with modest $60million to a couple of hundred million... for. a. whole. park.

Some of the more outlandish attractions made by disney, hit the hundred million mark and more... just for ONE RIDE. Disney has learned the lesson, several times, many of them painful... the simple fact is that the one version of their product that doesn't sell well is 'disney lite'. The whole reason why disney is so well regarded, so popular, and so frequently cited as being THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH is because the one thing they simply DO NOT DO - is anything 'on the cheap'.

The few times they've tried *cough-eisner-cough* have been disasters, many of which cost them a heap financially. California Adventure was a perfect example of why you can't 'cheap out' and stick the brand on it, and expect people to come. They had to throw most of the park out, and rebuild it from the ground up, costing many times that of the original park to build.

I know this is daydreaming, wishful thinking and brain storming, but much as i'd like to see Disney hit our shores, unrealistic suggestions like 'bringing just the best bits' don't work - because the best bits are the ones that will cost a couple billion dollars, which just won't happen.

On the other hand - Zacsta has a more realistic idea - Universal is one company I could see coming to our shores... they are far more likely than Disney, at any rate.

I'd like to see Disney here as well, who wouldn't? My gut feeling is if Disney did ever decide to grace our shores you'll see something like the resort they just built in Hawaii or a Cruise Ship. As everyone else says on these boards time and time again we just don't have the population to support one here. To get international tourists they would need to build attractions unique to our park as why would they leave their home park for a smaller copy cat and new attractions will cost a fortune because we know Disney doesn't cheap out!

Out of all the American theme parks I really do want to see a Universal Studios in Australia. Bringing movies to life like the Jurassic park ride and a marvel Area with the Incredible Hulk coaster and doctor dooms fear fall for you Marvel fans. And also studio tours ad of course wizarding world of harry pottor. And plus this could bring Halloween to Australia with horror nights just like the American park :). Either park would be amazing but I'm leaning more towards a universal studios Australia !!

Like AlexB said this is probably more realistic and I would love to see a Universal in Australia, however, I'd also like to see different themes in Australia other than movie, we're a small country, how many movie themed parks can we have. Also, while Universal's rides don't cost as much Disney's correct me if I'm wrong they still don't come in at $15million our parks like to spend, I can't imagine HP, Transformers or The Hulk were this cheap!

With Disney now owning the rights to Marvel movies and I'm guessing rides? Since their rumours of an Iron Man ride, I doubt we'll be seeing anymore Marvel themed rides (If Disney now also have the attraction rights) at Universal, period. Not unless the 2 somehow decide to co-exist sharing Marvel rides at the 2 parks and Universal is prepared what Disney is asking for the license.

We also have a Halloween nights in Australia now at MW, I know its a smaller event than the US, but remember if Universal came here they would only bring a smaller version of Halloween here as well!

Anyway since this is a thread about dreaming what we'd like to see, I'd love to Disney to recreate a DisneySea theme park here :)

One thing to remember about the big 'themed' parks is that if they have more than one site, it does reduce costings.

Where new technology is developed by Disney for example, the initial attraction costs blow out to the extreme, however when you weigh it up across 4 or 5 parks, suddenly the development of new proprietary technology suddenly doesn't seem too expensive.

I take your point about a 'different' experience to the other parks in the world under the same banner - what they need to do is use similar technology (same ride system), but give it a different STORY... especially when it comes to Disney and Universal, the story is more than half the ride - so a different story with the same ride system would still bring all the tourists to our yard....

I really wouldn't like to see a universal park here. I just went to Orlando and I found it very dated. Who really cares about men in black or twister or event the mummy these days. Disney is timeless. In 50 years people will still enjoy peter pans flight. Boone will care about the men in black ride. I did really enjoy the wizarding world of Harry potter and Springfield USA but that's really it.

Who is Boone, and why is he different to everyone else who rides men in black.

The thing you've got to take a look at is that Universal usually runs with long-running franchises that hold popularity long after the movie is out of the silver screen - they only just retired Jaws 2-3 years ago, and that was easily a 25+ year run. ET stood the test for a long time until it was replaced, as was Backdraft.

In most cases, the hardware stays the same and the theme is changed, ala Back to the Future into The Simpsons in Hollywood.

Universal seem to have a canny knack for replacing an attraction when the time is right. Disney doesn't need to do this as much as many Disneyland attractions never held a linked theme - such as the submarine voyage - until a suitable franchise came along.

Peter Pan is more than a movie, its a book and something of folklore thats been around forever - of course it continues to have currency today.

I forsee Universal will keep MIB around in Orlando until they're sure Will Smith doesn't need another Ferrari (decides not to make another MIB movie). As for attractions like Revenge of the Mummy, considering Orlando, Hollywood and Singapore all have slight variations on this immersive and amazing attraction (each of which improved on it's predecessor) I don't see that franchise leaving anytime soon. Even without the movies to back it up, it's still a solid concept that lends itself to an entire themed land in singapore.

Having not been to Orlando, I can't speak from experience, but from what most others say - your opinion sounds like the odd one out. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to it, it's just at odds with others I've heard from is all.

I guess my main point is that if an attraction is done well, and if it doesn't ABSOLUTELY hinge off the film in order to make it relevant, if it can stand on it's own as a solid attraction, then it doesn't matter if the film is 10 years old or 30.

Memphis Belle was released in 1990, and was still very appropriate, and perfectly suited to the special effects stage at Movie World for the next 15 years, as a classic movie of the time. Lethal Weapon the same as the foley effects section of the same show - especially after tying in with the coaster.

( The irony that the superman special effects show (along with the other two) was removed in time to install a coaster themed to the same character - around the same time as a new film of that character was due for release is also an interesting side-track. )