Sea World name change?

New display name

That's just it though - 'generic theme park number 1' having a food outlet that sells 'Aussie BBQ' isn't going to make the foreign tourist go "let's go there instead of unique australian experience 1".

The WHOLE PARK needs to offer that point of difference. THis is why Australia Zoo, and to a lesser extent, Aussie World work well for foreign tourists. they offer an entire experience that is unique. AOS is the same - nowhere else will you get such a show.

These things don't bring people to our shores, but it's what shows up when you ask Dr Google 'things to do on the gold coast'. Sure the parks always rate a mention, but so does King Tut's Putt Putt and the Beach... so when you're looking at interesting, unique experiences - something you can't do "back home" visitors from countries with large park operators don't generally see our parks as something enticing, unless they're enthusiasts.

Much of Asia, America and Europe have fantastic parks that outshine ours any day... and this is the majority source of our foreign visitors.

Dreamworld gets the Asian busloads through the door - but they don't stay after they've posed for a photo with a Koala. Why? well - for one, itinerary, and two - they have no interest in what the rest of the park offers. I saw this in Wonderland many years ago - Koala Photos, Outback Woolshed and the various other wildlife park exhibits would be 'all hands on deck' because of the number of booked tour buses. The retail plaza would likewise be well staffed - but you are unlikely to see any of them near bush beast or snowy - they just weren't interested. Most of this demographic visits the parks in business dress pants, dress shoes and button down shirts. not exactly thrill ride attire.

As for their itinerary - the guides fit as much as they possibly can into their tours, and a stop to pat a koala doesn't warrant a full day out of their trip - it needs an hour or so (depending on how many tourists and the efficiency of the venue), and the rest of the day can be spent elsewhere - Paradise Country, beach, AOS etc - they can hit 5 or 6 attractions in a single day in a whirlwind tour, and take a nice little commission out of each place.

I think the best odds of increasing foreign visitor numbers is simply to increase the foreign visitors overall. more people into the country will consequently increase the likelihood of more people through the park gates.

I think we'll naturally see a spike in visitor numbers (both foreign and domestic) as we approach 2018 - and the parks need to be prepared for that with either something VERY unique, or something VERY big.

My prediction - all of the parks are preparing something very big to open before the COMM games.

That's just it though - 'generic theme park number 1' having a food outlet that sells 'Aussie BBQ' isn't going to make the foreign tourist go "let's go there instead of unique australian experience 1".

This is more of an example of one thing that popped into the man’s mind.   I don't think you change one thing and it fixes everything.  It’s an example that DW doesn’t have to spend a lot of money to change something.  Every 3 years DW has an identity crises. (Coinciding with a new CEO) I’m not a betting man but I would place a bet that DW 10 year plan is all about how much money they are going to make in the next 10 years and nothing to do with DW brand or what they are actually trying to achieve within DW.

Paradise Country is always full of Asian tourists, and does have a heavy focus on "Uniquely Australian". Their ONLY food offering is a traditional aussie barbie!

Similar can be said for Australian Outback Spectacular, although the audience is a broad mix of nationalities. 

Never been to Paradise Country. is it any good?  Do the Asian tourists eat the food?

I've only been once so far, and only because I won a free annual pass during the ridiculous VIP pass scratch ticket promotion. 

It's fairly low key compared to all the other Village attractions in the Gold Coast. I'd even say it's almost like an Adelaide type tourist attraction! The main difference being that there are actually tourists at Paradise Country, and mainly Asian ones. 

It's a good place to spend an enjoyable couple of hours now and then. Peaceful and relaxed, yet there is a pretty good show to watch as well as a bit of other fun and entertainment. 

The main show is about sheep shearing, and I won't spoil it as it's worth seeing. It's packed with comedy, some impressively well trained sheep, and it's also quite educational. 

Every line of the show is followed by an interpretation which I assume is Chinese, at least when I saw it. It was very well done though, and this didn't spoil it at all. 

And yes, the barbecue buffet seemed popular with a lot of people. 

Edited by pushbutton