Feb Update

Ruddegar

Funny, we see steel coasters that are 20 years old dropping like flies, yet woodies have been around for 40 and more years. Stating that a coaster is bad because its old is very stereotypical. Some people say a well constructed woodie gets better with age. The thrill of a woodie doesnt come from being turned upside down again and again, or being twisted around pulling insane lateral g's. A woodie gets its thrill from sheer size, the feeling of power and danger as the old wooden structure rattles and rolls underneath you. Any Rider of the Bush Beast in its last few years of life will have felt the structure shake while standing in the queue line. as you waited in the queue line, if you stood really still as the train approached the brake run, as the brakes gripped the train and brought it to a halt, the kinetic energy would make the entire station shift and shake. If you watched the Bush Beast from below the entrance, you would see the big fan curve shake and shimmy as the train went over it. A steel structure has no give. the rails themselves are designed not to move, and so the motion is always the same. if its bumpy, its always bumpy (except with new wheels) and if its smooth, it remains smooth, its all in the construction. A woodie can change on any given day because of the weather, the temperature or humidity. the wind, the age.... anything Most steel coasters have horsecollars. you're locked in and you're not going anywhere. airtime is reduced because you are pressed against your seat. With a woodie, with only lapbars holding you in, theres quite a few inches of movement that can allow you completely out of your seat on hillcrests, and throw you across into your partner's lap on tight turns. so yeah to sum it up, its the reckless danger that you feel in a woodie. in a steel coaster, you're locked in tighter than fort knox, it might twist and turn but you're not going anywhere...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Alex for the great explanation. I've only been on one wooden coaster and that is the Wild Mouse at Aussie World. I was scared the thing was going to de-rail but I suppose if the corners were banked, and it was bigger, it would actually provide a nice ride. http://www.rcdb.com/m/ig460.htm - this looks like a nice wooden coaster (and it has a vertical lift!).

Funny, we see steel coasters that are 20 years old dropping like flies, yet woodies have been around for 40 and more years. Stating that a coaster is bad because its old is very stereotypical. Some people say a well constructed woodie gets better with age.
WELL SAID. The thing I like about the BB (and I guess other woodies) is that you can ride it all day long and never feel sick. It's justa relaxing and fun thrill ride that anyone can ride. The lap bars are heaps better than the more modern horse bar variety. With minimal clothing (The BB's proximity to the Beach meant I rarely wore anything more on it than swimmers, etc) it felt like you were going to get thrown out. The older and rougher, the better. ZordMaker

1.) Ride it if its working again one day 2.) Enjoy looking at it as you drive west on the M4 3.) Enjoy watching it burn, if you're a member of rollercoaster.com.au (it seems)
That's a great plan Zordy. There is only one feasible idea you have put forward and that is the last one. But let’s look at the other two. 1) You will get $5 max per person per ride and I'm pretty sure that it will take more than just you riding it all day to make that viable. Think about the running and maintenance costs. 2) 100,000 people a day driving past on the M4, M7 and Wallgrove Rd thinking 'why the hell is that still standing? The park closed 2 years ago'.
Wooden roller coasters suck. They're old.
Of course all woodies are old aren't they? You even posted a link for a new one. Schmuck.
With minimal clothing (The BB's proximity to the Beach meant I rarely wore anything more on it than swimmers, etc) it felt like you were going to get thrown out.
Bussy drops to his knees and starts shaking uncontrollably mumbling something about end the misery.
Cease and desist this 'woodie' talk immediately. We don't want Zordy to crack one in his lycra...
Eeeeuuuuwwww. Some more disturbing news on this later. "The Bus is now leaving for Hornsey Wood, NSW"

You are one disturbing mother ****er Paul Matthews! You filthy turd! You are one ****ed up individual! I've just been pointed in the direction of the site in which you are playing in the mud with your pecker out! You're joking! I never took you seriously before but I don't even give you the honour of classing you as a clueless idiot anymore! For those wondering what I'm talking about, have a snoop around Zordy's website. If you get in quick you will see it before he removes them. By the way, was it cold in that mud old son?

You are one disturbing mother ****er Paul Matthews!  You filthy turd!  You are one ****ed up individual! I've just been pointed in the direction of the site in which you are playing in the mud with your pecker out!  You're joking!  I never took you seriously before but I don't even give you the honour of classing you as a clueless idiot anymore! For those wondering what I'm talking about, have a snoop around Zordy's website.  If you get in quick you will see it before he removes them. By the way, was it cold in that mud old son?
That was years ago. But that doesn't mean Ive stopped :-) Some of us have lives you know.. I mean... lives other than ones glued behind the keyboard of a computer. You can be jealous if you like, but I recommend rather than doing that, you get out there and live life for yourselves.. both on and off the coasters. ZordMaker ZordMaker

Jealous of you? You're a classic! :P So little you know Hasslehoff. I don't have to show my pecker on the internet to live my life. You may or may not have noticed, I honestly couldn't give two ****s if I never went on another coaster again... It's the clots like you who keep me coming back here. Your life seems to be occupied by saving a crappy old wooden roller coaster. Don't go around telling other people to get a life. Anyway, please yourself. If you get your rocks off by getting nude and playing in the mud by yourself, well then good for you. The earth is full old son- GO HOME!

I’m with Daniel, I couldn't care less if I never went on another coaster again, in fact after operating them for so long I would rather not considering all that can go wrong with them. I am getting a vision of the future. Bush Beast is being pulled down and it starts to rain. All the machines have torn up all the top soil and created a huge mud pit. Zordy is wallowing in the mud naked crying his eyes out, his body wrapped around a piece of wood. I'm now in the corner of the room arms wrapped around my knees rocking back and forth repeating 'bad imagination' over and over again. "The Bus is now leaving for The Mud Hole, NSW"

Jealous of you?  You're a classic! :P give two ****s if I never went on another coaster again...  It's the clots like you who keep me coming back here.  Your life seems to be occupied by  
Hmm. I still think you're chatting in the wrong forum then. But I gyess it's a free 'net. Vent your spleen as you will. They're your underpants, not mine.
playing in the mud by yourself, well then good for you.   The earth is full old son- GO HOME!
Hmm thats a funny one too. Have you ever tried to take photos of yourself when your hands are covered in mud? Moral of the question... I guess I wasn't alone after all. Unlike some people on this forum it seems, who can't even find a friend to go and ride roller coasters with them. I guess it's not much fun waiting in line or screaming by yourself.. ZordMaker

They're your underpants, not mine.
But you don't wear any.
I guess it's not much fun waiting in line or screaming by yourself..
It was lots of fun for Kevin. It was your photo's that make me scream when I go to sleep. The nice men in white coats are coming to get me soon then I will be safe in the nice padded room. "The Bus is now leaving for Northfield Mental Hosptial, South Australia"

Hmm thats a funny one too. Have you ever tried to take photos of yourself when your hands are covered in mud?
I should have said WITH yourself old son! How silly of me! What a first rate dolt I am! If it turns you on then by all means carry on. It's a lovely day for carrying on! You never did give me a reason as to why BOP is a white elephant did you? I think all you could manage was you worked there for 2 years. Who cares? Did you miss the list of things I posted regarding what's been/is going on there?
I guess it's not much fun waiting in line or screaming by yourself..
I guess it's not old mate.... I guess it's not.... Thanks for the moral. I just got my psychology lesson for the day. Hooray for Zordy! You don't have any idea what anyone here gets up to in their private life. In your case you just show your 'privates'. I haven't got a personal grudge with you. You're just often disturbing and I disagree with you 9 times out of 10. That's the beauty of the democracy we live in isn't it? Lets get back to the 'Feb Update' shall we. Stop going off topic you dolts! Oh wait, was it me???

How is it possible for BOP to cost $1.8 million if it is not used as you claim Zordy? Oh that’s right they employ you to sit around and wait for it to rain so you can go and play in the mud around home base. Daniel remember that image when you are there next. You say that there are 2 Alderman who want the funding to go elsewhere, does that make any difference considering there are 15 on the council? What is the big story about Wonderland? Have they finally decided that it can all be torn down? I just had a look at the BCC site and the public exhibition of the Wonderland proposal closed today. I'm guessing there were one maybe two objections to the proposal and chances are those objections will be disregarded because there are too few of them. "The Bus is now leaving for Blacktown Industrial Area, NSW"

How is it possible for BOP to cost $1.8 million if it is not used as you claim Zordy?   "The Bus is now leaving for Blacktown Industrial Area, NSW"
I guess you could only understand that if you were there everyday and knew what they did with it, and how bloody hard it is to get that site to comply with the thousands of safety regulations they have to comply with. Oh and yes, also.. how bloody bad the initial construction work was prior to the Olympics, much of which has had to be rebuilt to prevent it from being a hazard to the (few) users that actually visit the site. Oh yes, and did I mention.. over 70% of these (few) visitors.. are from outside BCC's area?. Hey you should know all this, because you should have been bussing them in and out of there... ZordMaker

What company or place of business does not have those regulations? In all the places I have worked they have always been working on various safety issues. Just look at Wonderland and think of how many OH&S issues there were. Who cares if they are from the BCC area or not? It makes absolutely no difference. I haven't been bus driving in that area for a while. Didn't you see the post about the Japanese Wonder Bus? There is even a photo of me (bus driver, middle left), they upgraded my photo since I last posted this link. "The Bus is now leaving for Crew, Queensland"