SMH Article today -Disney looking at western suburbs...

Skipper

I wouldnt hold my breath guys, I just found this article on the always reliable www.jimhillmedia.com . I dont think we can compete against the $$$ appeal of super cheap construction and a population of 1.1 billion people!!. Looks too easy for Disney here and the fact that Eisner & co are actually visiting the place puts India way ahead of us where nobody has heard anything apart from the fact that Disney MAY be looking at property here. In addition disney probably think that they can do a really cheap park as most people there have not travelled overseas and wont know any better when it comes to comparisons of the other parks. How do you follow up Hong Kong Disneyland? Would you believe building a new Disneyland in New Delhi? Looking for one last hurrah before he exits the Walt Disney Company in September, out-going CEO Michael Eisner is meeting with Indian officials to discuss building a new theme park in Asia. by Jim Hill -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's t-minus 10 days 'til the official kick-off of Disneyland's 50th anniversary. So you'd think that Michael Eisner -- the company's out-going CEO -- would be sticking close to home. Making sure that everything was in readiness for next week's start of that 18-month-long celebration in honor of the company's first theme park. Well, as it turns out, Eisner isn't all that interested in Disney's first theme park right now. He's more concerned with where the corporation is going to build its next theme park. Which is why -- as you're reading this -- Uncle Mike and Disney's CEO-to-be Bob Iger are in India. Oh, sure. Press reports will tell you that the real reason that Eisner & Iger made this special trip to Asia was that they wished to inspect the broadcast facilities of Disney Channel India & Toon Disney India. Two new cable channels (which only began broadcasting back on December 27th) that will help introduce India's more-than-100-million children under the age of 10 to Mickey, Donald, Goofy and the rest of the Disney gang. But ... If that's really the case ... Then why are Michael & Bob also meeting with Indian President APJ Abdul Kalam? Not to mention the country's prime minister, Manmohan Singh as well the country's chief financial minister, P. Chidambaram? Surely Eisner & Iger aren't going to waste all of that valuable face time with India's top officials by talking up "Jo Jo's Circus"? No, the smart money is on Uncle Michael trying to set up one last large business deal before he exits the Walt Disney Company in September 30th. So Eisner can then go out on top, go out in style. And what bigger (or better) business deal could there be then making preliminary arrangements to place a new Disney theme park inside a country that has a population of 1.1 billion people? Mind you, nothing's in writing yet. Nor will it be for quite some time to come. This trip is basically what's known as a "get acquainted" session. As Eisner & Iger meet with the country's top officials to show that they are sincere & serious American businessmen, eager to learn how business is actually done in India. But -- from the WDI side of things -- I can tell you that the Imagineers are absolutely itching for Michael & Bob to close this deal as quickly as possible. You see, now that the Disneyland Shanghai project is on hold 'til Hong Kong Disneyland proves itself to be a financial success, WDI has no other projects of size in the production pipeline right now. Which is why (in an effort of cut down on overhead costs) the company will begin laying off members of Imagineering's management team starting in the second week of May. However, were Eisner & Iger to at least get a handshake deal with senior Indian officials ... Well, that would allow the Imagineers to begin preliminary concept & design work on this new Asian theme park. And that would go an awfully long way toward providing some job security to those people at WDI who are just weeks away from being let go. "Soooooo .... What's the tentative timeline for the construction of Disneyland India?," you ask. Well ... According to folks that I've spoken with, Disney officials really want to fast-track this project. They'd like to have this new theme park up & running by 2009. 2010 at the absolute latest. Why For? Well, due to mounting pressure from the Hong Kong government, it could be 2012 before the Mouse is finally allowed to begin construction of the Shanghai theme park. Which is why Imagineering reps are now pinning their hopes on Eisner. Hoping against hope that Uncle Michael is actually be able to persuade those senior government officials to allow the Walt Disney Company to begin preliminary development of Disneyland India. "This deal is Eisner's baby, right?" you query. "So how's Bob feel about all this?" Well, given that Iger told investment analysts back in January that " ... international expansion is one area, particularly in emerging markets like China and India ... ” that the Walt Disney Company really wants to get serious about ... I would imagine that Bob's thrilled that Michael's pushing so hard to get this deal done so quickly. "So when can we expect this project to officially be announced?," you continue. Well, that depends on how well this trip's meetings with senior Indian officials go. If all goes according to plan, Eisner & Iger should be able to sign a letter of intent with the government of India just before Uncle Mike officially exits the Disney corporation on September 30th. Mind you, if Disney's out-going CEO and its in-coming CEO were to be quizzed by the media about this matter ... I can virtually guarantee you that Michael & Bob would deny that they spoke with any Indian officials about the Walt Disney Company possibly building another theme park in Asia. To hear Eisner & Iger tell it, this whole trip was just about getting the chance to see Disney Channel India & Toon Disney India's new broadcast facilities. Well, if you believe that ... Then I know a guy who can get you a really good deal on the Chenab Bridge. Your thoughts?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see how India could be a good place for Disney to invest. The population is over 1 billion people and the poverty rate is 25%, how can that be good for a Disney park and their image. Just to give some perspective of that rate Australia and Hong Kong have a negligible poverty rate, China is at 10% and America is 12%. All figures are from CIA World Factbook. "The Bus is now leaving for Worlds End Pocket, Queensland"

Poverty rates are all well and good, but that means there are still over 750 million people living above the poverty line, which is still 730 million more than the entire population of Australia. I study human geography and demographics, and a poverty line is only ever calculated based on quoted taxable incomes. In real life, the number of people living below the poverty line in Australia at least is substantially lower than quoted figures, because it only takes into account declared income. The tax breaks, construction costs and possibility to open up a new market must also not be overlooked. For most Australians, a trip to Disneyland is somewhat of a highlight of childhood or certainly an exciting trip, and one which a huge number of Australians can afford to make to the US, Europe or Japan at some stage of their life. In India, with lower average incomes and less opportunity to travel, a local park could easily dramatically open up a new market for Disney.

Disney scouting for land to open theme park in India Sun May 1, 3:48 AM ET NEW DELHI (AFP) - Walt Disney Co. has approached the Indian government for land to build a theme park near the country's capital, an official said, in a move to tap a potentially huge market.   "Disney has asked us for land for a theme park," an official of the Delhi Development Authority said. "We are looking into it," the official, who did not wish to be named, said on Sunday. Disney's chief executive Michael Eisner and successor-designate Robert Iger were in India last week and met with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the     Press Trust of India news agency reported. Eisner and Iger also met President Abdul Kalam and some business leaders during their stay in the capital, PTI said. Walt Disney has identified India, a nation of one billion people with a growing middle class estimated at more than 200 million people, as a potential growth market, PTI said. The US entertainment giant is represented on television here by the Disney channel and Toon Disney which launched in December 2004. Disney is also hoping to tap the Chinese market with the opening on September 12 of the Hong Kong Disneyland, the first in China.
Ok, well the only factual reporting in this story, comes from the Press Trust of India, which reported the same thing that JimHill reported... which is that Eisner and executives met with the Indian Government. Everything else is pretty much the same hearsay that JimHill reported last week....

Don't right off the prospect of one of the American chains coming to Australia in the future just yet. Disney tried to get the tax brakes from the NSW Government a few years ago and were told in no uncertain terms no. Now it is a different story with the general public wanting more growth with the state in the way of jobs etc. I just don't see Six Flags coming to Australia with the way they have been performing with there stocks the last few years, selling a lot of parks to pay outstanding debts. I do believe that Sydney should have a major theme park, and that the next park built in Australia should be within the Sydney area. And don't forget that no-one said it had to be an overseas theme park company to open in Sydney, and as we in Brisbane know, Steven Irwin is looking to open a new park somewhere in Australia and the size of the land would suit him down to the ground. I guess only time will tell what will happen with this land and we can hope for the best. But wouldn't be nice if it was Disney or Six Flags??

Disney would be good, but here is the thing. I would prefer to visit the Disneyland which Uncle Walt built 50 odd years ago, compared to a copy of one. After watching the sunrise special, it has made me want to visit Disneyland in the US. The one where Uncle walt was going to live in the castle (or did). The park where Uncle walt currently resides. The park which started the vision. Not a copy. Now me saying this does not mean I don't want one. I reckon it would do Australia good. But if you think about it, you won't really be able to say you went to Disneyland until you actually visit the park which started it all. Think about it.

Disney would be good, but here is the thing. I would prefer to visit the Disneyland which Uncle Walt built 50 odd years ago, compared to a copy of one. After watching the sunrise special, it has made me want to visit Disneyland in the US. The one where Uncle walt was going to live in the castle (or did). The park where Uncle walt currently resides. The park which started the vision. Not a copy. Now me saying this does not mean I don't want one. I reckon it would do Australia good. But if you think about it, you won't really be able to say you went to Disneyland until you actually visit the park which started it all. Think about it.
Yep Disneyland USA has a very special feel that makes you just really happy! its the best Walt never had plans to live in the castle and never did. He did have anapartment above the Fire station on Main St. And the lampin the window was always lit when he was there to let everyone know uncle walt was there. Now The lamp is always lit andnever out, to show his spirt is always at Disneyland. Before he died he was planning a large apartment for himself and his family above New Orleans Square at DL but after his death this areabecame the ultra exclusive Club 33.

Well I saw a disneyland special. Like behind the park doco on the Disney channel about a year back. And they said he had plans to live up there. He had it all setup for himself up there, however this never became possible. It also said that he lives in disneyland somewhere, in some sortof labs. So if they work out a cure for the reason of his death, they would be able to bring him back. Not sure if this is entirerly true or not. But that is what I have seen.

The castle at Disneyworld had an apartment, which wouldnt have made a difference anyway because I dont think walt was alive by the time it opened I think it was going to be for the use of his family. You can now have character meals in it's dining room. On another note I think Walt was one of the first people to get chryogenically frozen- not sure if it was his whole body, maybe just his head or brain, I highly doubt though that its kept on site at disneyland!, on the other hand maybe it is there - could make a cool tommorrowland attraction one day.

After watching a doco on the construction of the Disneyland Park, I also thought that there was an appartment built into the Castle for Walts use. It was stated that it was not so much for him to live in on a full time basis, but for him to use during late nights within the offices of the park, to save him the trip home. The doco was done by Disney itself and if I can remember where I first found it I will let you know...now to start to try and remember....

ok let me clear up a few things... Club 33 Opened in 1955, along with the rest of the park. It was in the same area as Walt's Apartment, as a matter of fact, they are only a few metres apart. There was an elegant living room as part of Walt's apartment, which was later converted to be a function roomcocktail reception area for Club 33 after his death. There is a lamp burnt in the window of Walt's apartment, however it was only placed there after his death. Walt Disney WORLD does have an apartment constructed inside Cinderella's Castle. It was built after Walt's death, and was for the Disney Family, as well as special guests, park operations personnel etc. Walt may or may not be cryogenically frozen. Who knows? But he is NOT stored anywhere on disney property in this way. It was actually my belief that he was cremated and his ashes scatterd "somewhere" on one of the Disney Properties. As far as the India story goes, I rest my case on the hearsay abilities of media. I guarantee Yahoo picked up the story from Jim Hill, or another "news" site who were making an "opinion" into "news". Unfortunately, a lot of mainstream media have been caught out like this in the past, picking up a published "opinion", and treating it as fact. The original story sights "unnamed" insiders, or "confidential sources"... and then the mainstreamers take it as gospel because the original report listed it had a "source"... and it all snowballs from there.......... somebody start a new thread saying disney will build in Antarctica, offering the "Polar Adventure" to a lucky few... with a real matterhorn mountain, the new "ice age - the ride", big ICEThunder Mountain, Glacier Mountain, the Haunted Ice-Cavern.... report it in a way that sounds credible, sight plenty of sources... and watch the rumor grow....

ok let me clear up a few things... Club 33 Opened in 1955, along with the rest of the park.   It was in the same area as Walt's Apartment, as a matter of fact, they are only a few metres apart. There was an elegant living room as part of Walt's apartment, which was later converted to be a function roomcocktail reception area for Club 33 after his death. There is a lamp burnt in the window of Walt's apartment, however it was only placed there after his death.
Sorry AlexB but Wrong! Club 33 is in New Orleans Square. New Orleans Square Wasn't Even built until July 16th 1966. And Club 33 opened in May Of 1967, After Walt's Death. although it was his idea to have an exclusive dining area in the park. The Only finished Apartment Walt Disney Ever Stepped into and stayed in, is the one above the Fire Station On Main Street USA, And the lamp is in it's window and the lamp was there before his death. Also He is not Frozen he has a grave at a cemetary outside LA. And The Banquet Hall in WDW Cinderella's Castle was never planned to be part of the appartment For Walt and his Family it is a seperate part and was always planned as a Resturant close though- There is a penthouse inside Cinderella Castle that was intended to be an apartment for Walt Disney and his family when they were in Florida. After Walt Disney died in 1966, the apartment was never finished. Instead, the penthouse served as the operations area for Vista United Telecommunications (switchboard operators). It now serves as dressing rooms for the entertainers performing in the shows at the Castle Forecourt Stage. Yes Im a Geek And i guess we will not find out about any new International disney Parks till after September 12th.