One Year Later… How do we feel?

themagician

28 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

If the standard is just based on opening day, then Dreamworld wins hands down. 

And considering how long it was there, it definitley lasted well for most of it's life. And if they had extended the licensing contract, it definitley could have returned back to its opening day standard.

30 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

image.png.a955e0fbff6f1783f3d739edc1d9d391.png

Love a good chart, you're greatly appreciated for this.

30 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Sea World's Nickelodeon land is about due for a refresh of some sort. 

Consdidering it's age, it's definitley holding up well though and is just as popular as ever.

31 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The MW land on face value looks like it's long overdue for a complete overhaul (and honestly, it probably does need it)

Age why, absoltley and it would be great for the whole land to get some love. But honestly, for the most part, it still looks pretty good. Maybe outdated and needs more going for it, but in comparison to how Dreamworks was looking, it's doing alright. If it was up to me, I would complete a staged refurbishment of the whole land (except for Marvin as it's new and they gave RoadRunner some love a couple years ago). I would keep at least one of the driving attractions and despite being the oldest, I'd probably keep Speedy because the Drive School is such good real estate. They could create a whole new Looney Tunes indoor land and be inspired by what was done at Warner Bros World, Abu Dhabi.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, themagician said:

it would be great for the whole land to get some love. But honestly, for the most part, it still looks pretty good. Maybe outdated and needs more going for it, but in comparison to how Dreamworks was looking, it's doing alright

It still looks pretty good, if you ignore the shuttered food outlet that was turned into a photo redemption kiosk, the 'rollercoaster viewing area' that used to be the entrance to a ride that is now half just turned into storage space and an employee break room, the former ride space that is now a parent's room, the old marvin facade, just opposite the new marvin facade, the stencilled concrete that is in bad need of a pressure wash, the rotting timber garden beds, the opening day attraction still limping by with some absolutely ridiculous capacity, age, and minimum and maximum height restrictions, the ride queue that also doubles as an arcade (since they shuttered their actual arcade) - oh and don't forget until recently the first aid hut that was simply walled up with a vinyl wrap for several years. 

Sure, Dreamworks looked shit towards the end but I feel that's because they knew the licence was ending and since they knew they weren't renewing, they just let it go a bit (which isn't acceptable, but why spend money on something you're about to tear down \ renovate?).

WB Kids has no such excuse. The IP is here to stay (unless they drop the entire WB name) and there's no excuse for the state of it as it stands today.

• Like 4

And if we classify Castaway Bay as a kids area, that opened on 18/09/2010, so it's at 13.3 years. And while they added The Reef in 2017 (which was a great addition), the Sky Fortress hasn't been open since pre-covid (not sure on when it exactly stopped operating) and the rest of the land has seen better days, so they should invest in bringing the Battle Boats and Sky Fortress back to their opening day standard.

3 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

if you ignore

When you break it down like this, that is a very good point. I was mostly looking at it from the attractions themselves, but thinking about the land overall, you are very much correct.

6 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

oh and don't forget until recently the first aid hut that was simply walled up with a vinyl wrap for several years. 

Which is now just empty land thats 'hidden' by construction fencing and has weeds growing widly because management can't make their minds up for what they want to do with it. There was the rumour it was going to be an arcade, but that seems to be cancelled and now they're building a carnivale duck game on the former Pounce 'n' Bounce land.

30 minutes ago, themagician said:

If it was up to me, I would complete a staged refurbishment of the whole land (except for Marvin as it's new and they gave RoadRunner some love a couple years ago). I would keep at least one of the driving attractions and despite being the oldest, I'd probably keep Speedy because the Drive School is such good real estate. They could create a whole new Looney Tunes indoor land and be inspired by what was done at Warner Bros World, Abu Dhabi.

Giving road runner “love” is putting it very lightly they bought new trains, ripped out a third of the rockwork and replaced the cool old sign with a boring 2d one straight from their sign printing machine. 

Apart from doing that (which nerfs the ride and doesn’t improve it) adding Marvin & driving school and getting rid of the hut what else have they done to that land? It’s been 15 years (and even longer for most of it given how much of the land was built in the 90s) I would flatten that section bar road runner & Marvin and start again from scratch.
Bring back the looney tunes village name, get rid of junior driving school and put an air conditioned dark ride back in that building, put speedy Gonzales out of his misery & the other rides in that left section that are quickly approaching 30 years old, then start over again 

• Like 3

I was thinking about it recently and this is what I would to to KWB:

• Split the area into three minilands similar to the previous Dreamworks: the lands would be Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Flintstones.
  • The Looney Tunes area would consist of the carousel and Road Runner with some updated facades
  • The Tom and Jerry area would consist of a rethemed Marvin/Cages, with two new rides replacing Speedys and Railroad
  • The Flintstones area would consist of a rethemed JDS with a play structure
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Baconjack said:

what else have they done to that land?

Added a stage to the base of the tree… Duhh!

12 hours ago, TBoy said:

I was thinking about it recently and this is what I would to to KWB:

• Split the area into three minilands similar to the previous Dreamworks: the lands would be Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Flintstones.
  • The Looney Tunes area would consist of the carousel and Road Runner with some updated facades
  • The Tom and Jerry area would consist of a rethemed Marvin/Cages, with two new rides replacing Speedys and Railroad
  • The Flintstones area would consist of a rethemed JDS with a play structure

Love the idea, but are Flintstones going to be much of a draw card?

WB also have DC Kids which could include Teen Titans Go! Or DC Superhero Girls.

I also see WB are bringing out Wonka which I feel like is a massively missed opportunity for MW. Imagine a sound stage turned into an immersive Wonka factory

8 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

Added a stage to the base of the tree… Duhh!

I mean if we're going to that degree, I suppose the splash pad needs to be counted too. 

8 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

Imagine a sound stage turned into an immersive Wonka factory

A great idea but the days of the park taking over the studios for attractions is pretty much done. The studios are too busy to give over whole soundstages for park attractions. If only the park had existing "in park" space they aren't using effectively that they could repurpose... 

• LTRR soundstage storage area
  • Stars Cafe
  • Intencity
  • Showstage
  • FN Maze sheds

Heck, if it wasn't a permanent addition you could add something to the scooby queue (and enter from the fire doors near doomsday).

I know some of these spots have some activity either happening or planned, but they've all sat, dormant, unused, not fully utilised, or used for back of house purposes for quite some time and they could have (should have?) used any of these far far sooner for something.