What attractions would you like to see?

Richard

Why don't you think it would work well? They want new innovative rides, which this is plus its a thrill ride of sorts. And since its going to be a water park I think they should include one. The average ride for most beginners would be about 30 secs max so it would also have a high turn over of people, plus you could use it do shows with professional or semi professional surfers.

Looks good but don't think it would work to well at DWWP.
I know for a fact that there wont be a lazy river in the park. Maybe in a few years when they do an expansion they'll include a lazy river at that stage.

They can be Installed in pairs to improve capacity (600 pph), and anyway, most slides are single rider anyway so its not really any different, i think the throughput would be high because people tend to bomb out very quickly and are washed straight out the side, and there would be many who would opt not to ride, but watch instead. According to the website your average one can put through 300 people per hour and thats not counting all the crowds soaked up by standing around watching, by comparison the krakatoas revenge waterslide at DW can put through 180 people, also a single rider attraction. What are you basing this on when you say "they can be really dangerous", a few posts ago you didnt even know what it was and you make it sound as if you know of several events of people hurting themselves from experience. Remember, the thing is coated in a soft surface so you wouldnt get hurt and the only thing that moves fast is the water, and naturally as with any water ride there would be lifegaurds watching and according to the website there have been no reported saftey incidents.

Edited by Gazza

I'd like to see (and as much as it hurts me to say it) a themed river ride similar to the new one at (cough) Sunway Lagoon. Just forget the fact that it's Sunway for a minute and have a look at this - http://www.sunway.com.my/lagoon/attract/voodoo.asp The 2 artists impression drawings look really good. I like the misty cave with faces and statues on the walls that shoot water etc. Dreamworld says it is going to be a 'themed' water park and I certainly hope they stick by this

One idea they could try on some of the slides is a turnstile system to space out riders. Normally they have red and green lights and an Op that supervises over to stop people from breaking the rules (eg forming chains). What they could have is an electronic turnstile programmed to only unlock every 30 seconds or so (whatever the safe spacing is for that paticular slide) with a small green and red light on top, the turnstile would stay locked, but at the programmed interval it would unlock and one person could pass through, it would then re lock again for the programmed interval and so on. This would mean there is a physical barrier and would mean only one person could get through at a time which would be safer and would stop chains from forming. It could also mean timings could be adjusted for different times of the day (Eg a longer spacing at night time). It would also free up staff to work on other rides where more staff are needed.

I spoke to some people at Dreamworld Recently and they told me the Waterpark will consist of a Wave pool and next to it a wave making machine to create fake waves for surfing or body boarding. They also told me that most of the slides are new designs that havent been in Australia and some are from a Japanese company. Not sure if thats true or anything but im sure we will see soon what will be annouced in the park.

So, a flowrider then, that sounds ok. As for a japanese company making rides, that doenst sound too promising as japanese amusement rides just dont seem to be as good as their counterparts. Then again the slides could be the ones of a major companies asian offices, eg like how NBGS has offices in korea.

I dont think they would be too expensive as many parks have them, and not just the big ones so they probably arent prohibitivley expensive. Also the ride is mainly used by body boarders (surfers must sign a waiver before using it (source: flowrider website)) Im no surfer of body boarder but i would definitley have a dip at it and so would many others because it is safer and more controlled than the ocean amd would enable me to try something i cant normally. Not all waterpark attractions serve a wide market so that is not really a reason not to build it, it is like not putting in a freefall slide because it doesnt appeal to young kids, elderly, those with back problems, pregnancy, vertigo etc. IMO it would be well marketable as it is new to Australia.

Here on Canberra's Talk Radio, 2CC, Breakfast Programme Host Mike Jefferies likes the idea of having Surfing on Lake Burley Griffen. Anyway, to cut things short, he was speaking to a guy from Wave Loch (www.waveloch.com) about these Flow Rider surfing machines, which give riders the chance to surf, without the dangers of the open ocean. Anyway, I am not going to go into real detail about what was said, as I am sure you are all aware of what these machines do, anyway he asked if there were any coming to Australia anytime soon, and the response was that they are in the planning stages for one Custom Built flowrider to be built at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast of Australia, and that construction should be starting within the next few months. So there we go, I believe we have sussed out one of the First Attractions for Australia.