Sign in to follow this  
joz

Pirates of the Caribbean origins

13 posts in this topic

No, it went book, ride then movie. The ride was re-vamped to suit the movie. Featureing characters from the movie, not from the book. The animatronics were re-vamped to create the prominate characters like Jack Sparrow the way Johnny Depp played him in the movie.

Edited by tom

This is the first I've heard of a Pirates of the Caribbean book. I was under the impression the Disneyland attraction was an original concept developed by Disney.
Actually, thats correct Richard. It was an oringinal concept. But the ride was deffinatly around before the movie.

Yeh the ride was build ages ago, I had no idea of a book before the ride because on pirates one in special features it had Walt Dinseys ideas about it.

The ride was definitely around well before the movie, which was based on the ride. Anyone who has the DVD of the first Pirates' movie (2 disc version) may like to know that there are some special features on the ride. It mentions how it was used as inspiration for the movie and includes footage of the ride when it originally opened (in the 60's?) as well as material regarding Walt's inspiration for the ride and it's breakthrough technological features.

I think I went on the ride when I was 6, wait the ride is at disneyland right?
The ride is at both Disney parks.

It's kind of gone full circle now. If you visit Disneyland or Walt Disney World today you'll actually find Captain Barbosa and Captain Jack Sparrows (Johnny Depp)—two fictitious characters from the film's story—in the attraction. Johnny Depp recently met his audio-animatronic self. Very impressive engineering.

At this stage Hong Kong Disneyland is the only "Magic Kingdom" theme park without Pirates. Allegedly it's on the drawing boards at the moment, and will feature a ride system that's a hybrid between Splash Mountain and POTC; I'd imagine the introduction of thrill elements such as drops. The genesis of the original ride - as with many Disney classics from that era, arguably Disney's "golden era" in terms of attraction development - is fascinating if you ever get the chance to read some of the books out there that deal with Imagineering at Disney's history.