POLL - What Theme Park would you like to see in Australia?

Thrillrulz

What Theme Park Do You Want In Australia?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What major theme park group would you like to see build a park in Australia?

• Universal
    • Disney
    • Paramount
    • Cedar Fair
    • Six Flags
    • Legoland

Personally, I think that the 'historical charm' angle of LPS/LPM is a bit of a cop out to actually providing a decent park on their part. Places such as Grona Lund show the right way to have a historical waterfront park with severe space limitations, yet still manage to provide high quality modern attractions.

I only half agree with you on this Gazza. I don't think the historical angle is a cop out-its a very relevant feature of both parks that needs to be highlighted and exploited. Given their history, these attractions within Luna Park ARE their highlight-mainly due to their uniqueness and rarity in the amusement world. However, does this excuse the condition of other features and amusements within the parks?? Absolutely not!! Both parks are a pale imitation of their former glory and both, given the right investment and willingness, could be restored and enhanced to bring them back to their golden years. I will watch the restoration project at Dreamland , Margate , England with much interest!!

However much the rotor building is "heritage" (and i'm not disputing it's listing status), it has been moved twice in it's life, the most recent one somewhere between 99 and 2005 (it used to be much closer to coney island, now it's right at the entrance)

Actually the Rotor in residence at LPS at present is a replica built for the '95 park incarnation. Of the original, 3 were built but none survive. The current Rotor was built from the original blueprints. There are plans to re-build one for LPM as well. As far as being on the NSW Heritage register , only the Face, Towers, Crystal Palace, Coney Island,Cliff Face and Fig Trees have that distinction. Under the banner of the Luna Park precint, it is noted that there are several items/buildings of significance and these include The Wild Mouse,The Rotor and the Cliff tunnel. As to the Rotor being moved several times whats your point? Something can be on the NSW Heritage Listing and not in its original position, as long as the building meets the registers requirements. For all who are interested, here is a rare photo from LPS showing the Cliff Face Tunnel. The Cliff Tunnel is described on the register as being" Tunnelled into the base of the sandstone cliff on the eastern edge of the Luna Park Site, adjacent to the location of the former Ghost Train, is a flattened horse shoe shaped tunnel, with two entrances, approximately 20m in length, and almost 2m high and slightly less in width. At the 'top' of the horse shoe is a round chamber of the same height, about 3m in diameter. Used for storing gardening equipment since August 1990." This pic shows one of these entrances.

post-30-0-30249100-1322655237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jobe

As to the Rotor being moved several times whats your point? Something can be on the NSW Heritage Listing and not in its original position, as long as the building meets the registers requirements.

My 'Point' Jobe is fairly simple, and completely in line with your next sentence - Just because things are heritage listed, it doesn't necessarily mean the park is restricted from development - if they need to build, and something is in the way, the CAN move it.

My 'Point' Jobe is fairly simple, and completely in line with your next sentence - Just because things are heritage listed, it doesn't necessarily mean the park is restricted from development - if they need to build, and something is in the way, the CAN move it.

You are correct AlexB. Your position would have been made far clearer if you had stated the above in your original post, however. In saying that, though, there are limitations on where, how and what can be moved, if it is on the Heritage Register. As long as the building still complies with the Register's requirements and that the nature of the building is not overtly changed and it is agreed by the Heritage Council, then there are no large impediments to something being moved for further precint development. This is far easier when it comes moving something like the Rotor. I would think that LPS would have a very hard time indeed if they nominated to move, say Coney Island or The Crystal Palace. There are many factors to take into consideration when applying to change or move Heritage Listed buildings-the list is long and horrendous!!. This should not be a barrier for ride development to NOT happen at LPS though, rather , it can show that there are ways to make things work whilst still retaining the original buildings. There are many examples around the world where the old and the new can quite happily co-exist in perfect harmony-it just takes willingness and money!!

• 3 weeks later...

i don't think it should be in Sydney as they are getting Wet N Wild which is a vast improvement of the Gold Coast one, I think Melbourne is the next city due for a major theme park, even if its a possibility to sell the lands off of Funfields or Adventure Park to a major theme park. I do think a trend needs to be started though so something state-wide can compete with Village Roadshow

Six Flags or Cedar Fair for me. I get people want loads of theming but I just really want a super-thrill park, and those 2 companies seem to excel at that. From my experience, Universal parks are very boring. They have a very limited selection of rides, even at IOA. Disney parks have that "magic" to them but they are severely lacking in the thrill department.

Assuming we're talking no budget limits Disney would be great over here as a family park Universal would be like movieworld was. Not really much point IMO of bringing it over - let's just fix up MW again Paramount - no comment as I've never been to one Cedar Fair - Only ever been to Knotts which was great, but basically Dreamworld so we could just fix DW up. Not sure about other CF parks Six Flags - Hell yes. Screw the theming, spend more money on kick ass rides with basic or no theming. Legoland - I wasn't overly impressed with much except the minitures they have built there. So screw the kids.

Knotts isn't really a good guide to judge Cedar Fair on - Cedar Point is awesome!!

Harry Potter (And Spiderman) are more than ‘just a dark ride’. You seem to be lumping all dark rides in the same category, a bit like saying a B&M is no different to a kiddy coaster. Potter is far and away the best ride I’ve ever been on. Really unique the way it moves, great theming, and its got that feel to it like Pirates of the Carribean where you forget about the outside world whilst in the darkness of the ride. Dunno why Cedar Fair and Six Flags get so much love either. People make it sound as if its wall to wall awesome coasters. No, depending on the park it’s more like say 4-5 really good coasters . ...The rest of the parks are rides they inherited from the early years of the 1970s/80s, other crap coasters that you ride once and forget about, and tons of flats and fairly generic water rides that you see everywhere. Cedar Point/SFMM are probably special cases, because they’ve got so damn many that its inevitable there will be a few good ones in there. But it’s not as if having either company setting up shop in Aus would result in a park with 16 coasters would it? Valleyfair, CGA, Knotts are just as representative of Cedar Fair too. In response to the topic....A Busch park would be wonderful.

4-5 good coasters is better than one or two at Universal, and one if you're lucky at disneyworld/disneyland. And sorry, dark rides just arent my thing at all. And I agree, a Busch Gardens would be fantastic. They excel at making fantastic coasters, and theming them beautifully.

Okay, no. But I'm just saying I'd perfer a park full of world class coasters than world class dark rides. Universal studios (not including IOA) seem to only really have a couple of coasters, and the rest are dark rides. Not saying thats bad as its a good family marketing, but what I'd love to see here would be more towards the thrill factor.

You get tossed and turned on the end of a robotic arm for 5 mins in the dark... It IS a thrill ride. This is what Im getting at when I say you are treating all dark rides as if they are one and the same. It's not a slow boat ride like Pirates of the Carribean, nor is it a slow tracked ride like Snow white, Pinnochio etc.

Okay Im wrong then. And AlexB, yeah theyre "good" but theyre not "great" like certain rides at Six Flags Parks. Anyway we all have opinions, and personally I can see a big coaster going up before a massive multimillion dollar dark ride like Harry Potter going up.

You might want to re-think that statement....there are currently 3 closed dark rides at Seaworld and Movieworld.......my bet is that on at least ONE or more of these sites that a very expensive multi-million dark ride will rise from the ashes. And I think it will be before any new large coaster will be introduced to one of our parks. Just saying....

Harry potter, Sipderman, or Dragon Challenge boring? I mean I am yet to ride them, but I'm also yet to hear someone say they found them boring.

one of my mates went there earlier this year, the rides on the other side of the world must be epic he compared the forbidden journey to the sea viper and jet rescue at sea world, i'm still yet to go there

And AlexB, yeah theyre "good" but theyre not "great" like certain rides at Six Flags Parks. Anyway we all have opinions, and personally I can see a big coaster going up before a massive multimillion dollar dark ride like Harry Potter going up.

So I had this nice long explanation typed out, and then the page refreshed and dumped it all. As you say - opinion is there. My (somewhat outdated) opinion still rates Space Mountain higher than any coaster at SFMM (that I've ridden). You did only state 'good' coasters and Disney easily meets that benchmark. Whether they can be considered great is, as you say - opinion. I consider Disney has some of the best coasters in the world. They may not be the highest, or fastest, longest, most inversions or any other record holder, but they are simply done better. Anyhow - this main debate surrounds what park we'd like to see. Enough of the realism about how "disney would never build here" or "cedar fair can't survive" - the question is what would you like to see, not what could realistically be supported here. It's a dreamer's thread - let us dream.

You might want to re-think that statement....there are currently 3 closed dark rides at Seaworld and Movieworld.......my bet is that on at least ONE or more of these sites that a very expensive multi-million dark ride will rise from the ashes. And I think it will be before any new large coaster will be introduced to one of our parks. Just saying....

Okay, I miss worded my post. I'd like to see one of our current theme parks get a dark ride, but if we got a park in the future I'd prefer a park that focuses on coasters and not dark rides. EDIT: posted at the same time as you, didn't see that post. Yes, I guess it's a matter of opinion. And this is a dreamers thread, so I'm dreaming of Cedar Point or SFGAdv coming to Australia lol

one of my mates went there earlier this year, the rides on the other side of the world must be epic he compared the forbidden journey to the sea viper and jet rescue at sea world, i'm still yet to go there

No offence to your friend but how can you compare 2 coasters which are completely different to each other to a dark ride? And may I remind you sea viper and jet rescue aren't exactly epic ;) though jet rescue comes sorts close. Edited by alex_1

Who can forget we know have Transformers ride out there, for me that I something I REALLY would like to try out! Now that you mention Busch, yes! I would really love to see one of their parks here. I mean we have SW, which they do. But obviously they do their rides on a much grander scale being from America; although looking at photos I think we do enclosures better. But something like their Africa or Europe park would be awesome! We got close with the African Safari World in Melbourne, maybe another day! But do I have to pick one company, can I have a park from each company, Disney, Universal, Merlin, Cedar Fair, Six Flags?? :D