What would you spend $9m on?

Adam C

I wonder though if the new trains are set up for blocks? I know the infrastructure is there on the track and control panel - so i doubt it would be hard, but I assume the logic programming would have been wiped and reset for the one new train, so might need some additional programming... can't be that hard!!!

Correct me if i'm wrong - but weren't blue and red trains cannibalised for the new train? Or was the new train COMPLETELY new rolling stock?

From my understanding, it was only the trains that received a makeover in the Arkham Asylum transition. If this is the case, then surely the block system would still be somewhat operational. Kumbak does offer eddy current brakes replacements and new control systems, but I am unsure whether that covers a blocking system as well. 

As for what I would do with $9,000,000, I would probably theme up either Arkham Asylum or Green Lantern some more. Bring them up to the standard of some of VRTP's other rides, with somewhat immersive queue lines that aren't just a pathway through an open warehouse.

I wonder what the ride experience of Arkham Asylum would be like if they invested in putting a mixture of real and fake trees and landscaping features in the ride envelope. I think it would add it the experience if you rush past trees, creeks and rocks. If I had my $9,000,000 I would definitely look at maybe adding that to the ride experience. 

As for the other parks...

SW: Would saving the money be allowed in this hypothetical scenario? If so, I would love to see Sea World put the money away and wait until it grows a bit more, then they can build a decent thrilling coaster to fill the void that the Sea Screw left.

DW: I would definitely look at putting it towards a ride refurbishment or fixes and details around the park. I wonder how much it would cost for Dreamworld to look at getting an almost RMC-esque conversion of the Cyclone, where they utilise the same footprint and support system, but alter the track in order to make it a better overall experience. 

WnW: I would look at park wide theming. While Wet 'n' Wild isn't horrible with theming, I would like to see them truly move away from the concrete jungle look. Maybe they could take inspiration from those beach party movies from the 1960's and make the park look like you've stepped into one. It would be a pretty simple theme that would be very visually appealing while not too hard to implement. 

WWW: Probably more slides or attractions. This park is pretty lacking, and while I would like to see theming (notice a trend?), I just think that should be the parks top priority. 

The ride had a new control system put in over the old Vekoma software for the trains. This would be due to the seat unlocking mechanisms mostly more than anything though. Compared to the Lethal days where they would have to unlock the whole train and then re-check they can unlock individual seats from the touch panel on the OCC. I am also fairly sure now that the ride is unable to run 2 trains due to the way the brakes are set up.

If you recall when it was Lethal the train would come to a complete stop on the first set of brakes before coming into the second brakes before the transfer track. This is also where a train would be held whilst another was transferring in or out of the maintenance bay. Now with the Eddy Current brakes the train doesn't actually fully stop, it glides to a very slow pace before continuing around the corner towards the station.

I know they were talking about adding a second train possibly in the future depending on how popular the ride became. As they were not sure if the new trains would rid Arkham of it's shocking reputation before hand. Obviously Village Roadshow have determined not to invest in a second train for various reasons, most likely a financial standpoint as they would have to buy a whole new train (bogies and all) compared to the lower cost of refitting an old train.

The only way I could potentially see them ever getting a 2nd train is if a SLC goes up for sale and they manage to buy a used train and convert it, but I very much doubt that now. FYI the red and blue trains were cannibalised in early 2010 and the last time that the ride ran 2 trains was xmas holidays 2009 - 2010 :)

• 1 month later...

Giant Drop I agree is polarising.  I was shocked last time I visited Dreamworld how short the queue for it was verses the other rides.  Of course I think that also to do with how isolated it is.  If you built another thrill ride near it (say in that grassy area next to Eureka) I suspect it'd get busier, but still, for one of the best thrill rides in the world (yeah I said it, sue me) it's short queue is very strange for me. 

You'd be shocked to hear if I were in charge of the parks most of what I'd spend the money on is on capacity things. 

At DW, 2 new trains for MDMC with Jet Rescue style seating and a re theme.  2 Trains for Cyclone with non earbashing restraints, and some cash to either reopen Eureka, or to gut the mountain and put a flat ride in there.

MW - a second train for Arkham and a 3rd for Superman (so there is always 2 trains avalible).  What ever is left over goes on developing the infrastructure in the land behind Scooby as a 'swing land' that can be repurposed as needed to house extra stuff for the night time events (so more Mazes for Halloween or the North Pole for Christmas).  Though you would have to reopen Lethal Alley for that to have any chance of succeeding and joining onto the back of Western Town.  So maybe a bit big a project.

SW - All that money into fixing the monorail.  Have a chat to someone about designing and building 3 new trains for it.  $9million might not be enough but I think its worth looking into.

Absolutely right about capacity. If I controlled a theme park priority 1 would definitely be queue times. Nothing brings people back to a park like short queues on good rides.