Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point "Closing"

Coasterjoe

Yeah it fully is a big L and I do really wish there was a hill there it would make the ride (which I absolutely love) even better. I just don’t think it’s going to happen know but we can hope. I feel like if they left the existing launch track how it is and just add a hump on the straight track with no launch it would be fairly easy since there’s no launch bits that would need replacing just track and supports. It would probably cost 2-4M realistically by the time the new track is fabricated and shipped then installed. But the reason I feel like it wouldn’t happen is because it’s not going to drive anymore people through the gate when they could spend the money on other stuff.  One can hope though one day when dreamworld is profiting well they might add it.  Because it would really make the experience next level!!

Cedar Point did explicitly confirm at Winter Chill Out that Iron Dragon would reopen for this season, it's going nowhere.

There were also some major permits filed a little over two weeks ago, calling for the pouring of "Phase 1 Foundations for Cedar Point Attraction". Don't think this has to do with the flats being being relocated into their new Boardwalk area this year. So much analysis into every van that appears near the coaster and yet nobody seems to notice major permits like these;

IMG_7811.png.thumb.jpeg.da24d742a2ae5585a01e5255b1e1c768.jpeg

Edited by TPoseOnTantrum

Good to hear iron dragon is here to stay. I wonder if they will get a few new track pieces to reroute it? I wonder if S&S or vekoma will supply it.  Australia got 1 of basically every type of coaster but we missed out on the swinging inverted coaster unfortunately….  They look really fun!  

(Edit) just realised Expo 88 had a vekoma one! We didn’t miss it, I just did.)

No we still have a lot to go but we got the trendy ones : world got SLC’s we also did, world got Arrow loopers we also did, world got hydronic launch’s we also did, world got boomerangs we also did, world got air launched towers we also did, I think Australia will have a RMC by 2030 easy. Maybe even sooner

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

3C403B9E-F62C-416E-BB08-3F78886CEADF.jpeg

9 hours ago, franky said:

What are we looking at? Footers?

Yeah - not everyone is as well versed and expert in theme parks and rollercoasters - it'd be awesome if you could caption or provide a little explanation to go along with these updates so those who aren't following every minute detail can keep up.

If you've got a few minutes to kill (and can blast past the mountain of ads) this article does a good job at explaining what's up - https://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20230424/33340/500ft-rear-spike-addition-top-thrill-dragster-now-looks-unlikely

TLDR; looks like it could be a 500ft rear spike and they'll do a swing launch for Dragster.

Sandusky and Cedar Point are an absolute pain to get to if you don't drive.

On my first visit we caught the Greyhound bus from Cleveland, which wasn't too bad back then, not sure what it's like now.

On my most recent visit I caught the Amtrak train from Cleveland, it's a leg of the New York to Chicago line which is an overnight train. I left Cleveland at around 2am and got into Sandusky at 4am, which meant I had to book my accommodation for the night before so when I got in during the wee hours I could get some sleep. Whilst it was a pain the train only cost USD$6.

When you get into Sandusky the public transport is nonexistent, so if you're not on the point it can be difficult to get there. There is a local taxi company run by a group of people, which is fine if you know the mobile number to call, it's all cash and from my accommodation was about USD$10 each way to the park plus tip.

It really does surprise me that Cedar Point doesn't have a shuttle bus from nearby airports like Cleveland/Toldeo/Detroit/Columbus like other big parks do.

On 02/05/2023 at 11:10 AM, Slick said:

TLDR; looks like it could be a 500ft rear spike and they'll do a swing launch for Dragster.

My god! That is crazy and I am all for it

On 02/05/2023 at 12:10 PM, Dean Barnett said:

It will be with 99% of certainty for me, a quick switch track with 3 launches. The abilty to fine tune the trains speed on the last launch to ensure a slow crest over the tophat - could lead to a really great ride experience. 

It will massively reduce the chance of a natural rollback but it'll massively increase the chance of the ride completing the whole circuit