"Disney standard" theming

Adam

Alex you can have as much will power and drive as you want but it’s never going to happen unless you have money.

Well, having a look at theming on attractions such as Tower of Terror, Giant Drop
I'm sure it wasn't necessary to look further than two rides using the same tower in the same park, right next to each other... Alex you are arguing for and about the wrong things, if you have something important to say then please share it but don't post meaningless comments. I can't be bothered...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're telling ME not to post meaningless comments? PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!! What you don't seem to understand here, is that everyone - Richard, Daniel, Bussy, Myself, Rabid, Joz.... EVERYONE on this site would LOVE to see Disney style stuff, or even DISNEY ITSELF in Australia, but we are realists who understand that for many reasons and constraints, one of which is agreed as money, it is not going to happen for a long time yet.

This is how I look at it – you can either agree with me or make up your own mind. …On the 3rd of June 1991, Movie World opened a brand new attraction titled “The Great Gremlins Adventure”. This excellent Australian ride was labeled as a Disney level experience in terms of theming and authentic story telling. Later, in 2002, this ride was replaced by a block buster attraction – Scooby Doo – which has been dubbed as “coming close to Disney, but unfortunately not reaching it.” …One of Sea World’s most popular attractions - Bermuda Triangle – is another example of an Australia ride aspiring to reach Disney standards of story telling and special effects. Although “The Great Gremlins Adventure” has been removed and “Bermuda Triangle” is a relatively old attraction the future is still bright for Australian parks. Sooner or later they’ve got to strike it right.

Ick, having been offline a few days it's almost 2 pages since Bus replied to me! Bus wrote: How many times do you go to theme parks? Dreamworld every year, and one other (Qld) park every second year. You made a good point regarding Space Probe Seven. The "regular" visitors may have to accept the same pre-ride stuff, but aren't these parks partially relying on the people with "year-round" passes? Joz, thanks for the pre-Drop video reminder. I remember it now! Hence them only letting 8-16 people into that area at a time. Last time I was there, there was no staff on the que, so the line started there and went back into the "arch" along the ramp. The "video/computer" room had almost 30 people in it. :mad: I hope that's not something that happens with Batman/Lethal Weapon. With regard to Space Probe Seven, I think something that made it (pre-ride) "enough" on my first/only visit was that the line was so long we saw the same stuff about 3 times over. The pre-ride stuff may have been lengthened since I went on it (mid-late 90s). Adam wrote: The question is not whether Disney continues to do what they do; it’s whether Australian parks will continue to grow and strive to reach world-class expectations. I believe it's possible. I agree Adam, however there needs to be a mentality in the parks that they may have to tear old stuff down to put better theming in in future upgrades. It seems Movie World has reached that point, if them removing the Sound/Effects tour for the Superman Coaster is anything to go by. Seaworld has too, regarding the Shark Bay (and north of) area. I note, over many posts above, that money is the biggest problem. I sadly agree. I seriously wouldn't believe it to be a case if unimaginative designers.

Adam, 2/3 of the rides you listed didn't reach a Disney level,and just because they nearly did doesn't mean the parks will build one that will.And yes,imagination is everywhere but what you don't seem to understand is that I said that the imagination isn't then same as Disney.Take Disney's first cartoons for example,they were the first of their kind and his parks were no different.Disney was a very intelligent man with an amazing imagination and he has left his mark forever both in the amusement industry and otherwise.His parks are like his movies.

Well, having a look at theming on attractions such as Tower of Terror, Giant Drop and the like, yes, its quite possible that Disney are the only group of people in the world with an imagination and the ability to dream.
But TOT and GD were built for a fraction of the cost of disney rides, so they couldnt pay for major themeing. I bet if DW said, hey, im feeling crazy, lets spend $50 million on themeing GD, that the park would get into contact with some people, film and TV for example and create something really good. Disney employs imagineers because they have the money, and other parks dont because they dont have the money. If a park had the same financial resources as disney, im pretty sure they would be able to assemble their own team of dreamers. Rich had hit the nail on the head, there are other people with vision, but disney are the only ones to foster it propely. I get a fair few cool ideas in my head, they would cost loads, but it proves that you dont have to work at disney to have ideas.

Adam, 2/3 of the rides you listed didn't reach a Disney level,and just because they nearly did doesn't mean the parks will build one that will.
Scott, I am no expert on statistical probability but saying that an Australian park will never reach Disney level, when one already has, doesn’t make sense to me. And if they have done it in the past I can only see them expanding on this.
And yes,imagination is everywhere but what you don't seem to understand is that I said that the imagination isn't then same as Disney.Take Disney's first cartoons for example,they were the first of their kind and his parks were no different.
Scott, I do understand that Walt Disney invented the theme park. I don’t think you understand that other people have dreams and imaginations. Can you tell me how the imagination that is everywhere is different to the imagination at Disney? Sure Disney has a huge team of people that can dream but the main advantage that Disney has is that most of their dreams and imaginations are actually possible thanks to their budget. Also, well said Glubbo and Gazza, I agree entirely.

reach Disney level, when one already has, doesn’t make sense to me. And if they have done it in the past I can only see them expanding on this.
You think an Australian park has reached Disney level,I don't. I know well that other people have Ideas but what I'm trying to say is that none of them are quite like Disney's,or as detailed,like Rich said.

I agree with you in saying that no park has reached Disney, it was only one attraction. I do not think an entire Australian park will reach Disney level for quite some time. I am talking about an attraction, in Australia, to carry the Disney seal of approval... Disney rides are usually very detailed and have been completely thought-out in every aspect, not to mention being continually updated with the latest technologies. Most of this is possible with money, however to add a story to an attraction doesn't cost a lot (depending on the physical requirements of theming that relate directly to the story telling) yet many rides in Australia do not have stories, while the majority of Disney's rides do. This seems to be where many themed Australian parks are lacking, the story telling.

I know well that other people have Ideas but what I'm trying to say is that none of them are quite like Disney's,or as detailed,like Rich said.
Many other parks will have ideas that are the same as Disney, or even better, but you will never see these as their budget will not allow it. I do however, still believe, that an Australian park can replicate a Disney level experience on a smaller budget (even if its being compared to the worst ride at a Disney park :P). I guess we will have to wait and see.

This is how I look at it – you can either agree with me or make up your own mind. …On the 3rd of June 1991, Movie World opened a brand new attraction titled “The Great Gremlins Adventure”. This excellent Australian ride was labeled as a Disney level experience in terms of theming and authentic story telling. Later, in 2002, this ride was replaced by a block buster attraction – Scooby Doo – which has been dubbed as “coming close to Disney, but unfortunately not reaching it.” …One of Sea World’s most popular attractions - Bermuda Triangle – is another example of an Australia ride aspiring to reach Disney standards of story telling and special effects. Although “The Great Gremlins Adventure” has been removed and “Bermuda Triangle” is a relatively old attraction the future is still bright for Australian parks. Sooner or later they’ve got to strike it right.
Scott, I am no expert on statistical probability but saying that an Australian park will never reach Disney level, when one already has, doesn’t make sense to me. And if they have done it in the past I can only see them expanding on this.
I agree with you in saying that no park has reached Disney, it was only one attraction. I do not think an entire Australian park will reach Disney level for quite some time. I am talking about an attraction, in Australia, to carry the Disney seal of approval...
Make your mind up. Firstly the whole basis of your argument is that 1 or 2 maybe three rides are Disney standard. You then say that an Australian park has reached that standard. You then go on to say that no Australian park has reached it yet but you were talking about one attraction. Make up your mind and stick with one direction in an argument. "The Bus is now leaving for Argument Dam, Western Australia"

If you've been reading what I've written, I am talking about individual attractions not an entire theme park. When I said - "an Australian park has reached that standard," I am sorry if I was being unclear but I am talking about an Australian park reaching the standard of having one or more Disney level attractions. Otherwise I would not have referenced such rides as Bermuda Triangle and Scooby Doo, I would have talked about staffing, accessibility and theming on path ways as well as the rides. I suggest you take a rest, read the thread, and then try to understand my loosely plotted argument that changes with every post.

I suggest you take a rest, read the thread, and then try to understand my loosely plotted argument that changes with every post.
UT OH...... Adam... you shouldn't have said that. I would suggest you run and hide somewhere before Bussy reads that or you will regret you ever posted here... lol. But Seriously Adam, whether its just being unclear or incompetent, your arguments are heavily flawed. Many people would dispute that the Gremlins Adventure was Disney Standard. As far as your argument that they keep getting close, and its only a matter of time, take Coca Cola, and Pepsi-Co. Pepsi-Co has strived for years to make a product that equals Coke. They still haven't and probably never will. on the same tangent, take a vacuum cleaner - Many companies release new fangled technology in vacuum cleaners all the time, but for many, Hoover is still number one - in the united kingdom, they dont vacuum their carpet, they hoover it. lets keep going - Holden have the Clubsport, the Commodore Executive and the Calais. there is no dispute that they are fantastic cars, but they are not a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, a Mercedes or a BMW and they never will be. Panasonic and Sharp make great home entertainment appliances, but they will never be a Sony. To touch onto Rappa's Passion - there are many "intelligent" lighting companies out there, but nobody beats Martin. There are many soundcards out there in the world, but nothing beats Creative Labs. Have I made my point?

Ok. I sort of agree with you Alex. Well done. No ride in Australia is likely to be better than the average Disney ride anytime soon. And Gremlins or Bermuda isn't as good as Pirates - which isn't even Disney's best ride. I still however, think its possible to reach Disney (but not overtake Disney - well at least not yet :D), although as it is obvious, money is a major problem. ...and that's me done with this thread ;) Just a side note, before I started this topic I didn't really know that "Disney theming" was better than "Universal theming," in my mind, they were parallel. You have given me an insight into the religion that is Disney.

Adam I have just had a rest and have just finished reading through the whole thread and you have stated several times that Australian parks should be at Disney standard. Even in your reply to my last post you still seem unsure of what you are talking about. Before you reply to this I suggest that you have a look back at some of the 'discussions' I have had with various members of the site and see what success they have had arguing with me. "The Bus is now leaving for The Rest, NSW"

Actually Alex, Dysons are more Popular than Hoovers, especially in the UK. Just thought i might say that, but Alex, good points anyway.
Oh, you picked the wrong week to mess with me on that topic Gazza. In the United Kingdom, they might own a Dyson, but they still hoover once a week, even if it is a Dyson machine that they use to do it, its still called HOOVERING. I wasn't talking popularity, i was talking the branding and the recognition, and as far as hoover is concerned, they are the Disney of vacuums. And as far as popularity, Dyson have nothing special over Hoover, or LG, or Electrolux, or Wertheim. they're all Vacuum Cleaner Manufacturers. If you want to talk popularity, it will be an even split for first place between Hoover and Electrolux. If you want to talk Quality, then its Wertheim, then Kirby, then Hoover, and so on. Dyson's are great machines, and the people who buy them have bought a fantastic machine... they just paid too much for it when a cheaper alternative that does the same job, OR does it better, is available in another brand. (the Cyclones used on a Dyson are not unique to Dyson manufacture) I rest my case... (on a sidenote before you continue, i am currently in the employ of Godfrey's Australia

When people call their Dyson a Hover, what is the financial benefit to Hover? We own a Dyson, my parents still call it Hoovering, yet we would never go back to using a Hover, thus, I agree with Gazza. Anyway, I know your going to reply to this with something crazy but I've made my point ;) And yes wonderbus, I am finally done with this thread.