Sign in to follow this  
joz

Dreamworld closings

56 posts in this topic

This from the Dreamworld website:

The Runaway Reptar will be closed on the 14/03/2005. Information on when it will reopen will be posted shortly. The Dreamworld Skylink is now closed for operation.
Any Dreamworld regulars know whats going on with Reptar, and if thats all she wrote for Skylink?

I dunno, the thing about that ride is been a bit redundant for a while now. Its transport ride that replaces a 5min walk with a 10min ride, so as Transport its not really necessary. Add to that its labour intensive to operate and I'm guessing expensive to insure, so its really an ideal candidate to be removed.

Thats a bit weird, the skylink was just closed for 1month for annual maintance, why bother doing maintance then closing the ride?

The previous times I visited, the Skylink was only being used by families with kids aged 5-10 and asian tourists. IE People who seemingly hadn't been to the park before. Maybe it's to make room for the flying coaster over the island Sturt loops around? :P As for Repar, that's a surprise! Although on my last visit (Late Feb), they were sending it out about half full... maybe it's getting few if any riders?

I was at dreamworld last Saturday, and Reptar was running with full trains. I went on it twice because a) it was a nice fun ride and b)it was a reasonably short wait like the Claw (unlike Cyclone whose wait times drove me to near insanity in that damn circular room, whoever came up with that idea needs to be shot.) But Reptar was getting a good enough usage anyway when I was there on the 12th and it seemed to be running smoothly.

Does Reptar follow a standard Vekoma layout (e.g. like the junior coaster at Movie World) or is it custom? Never been on it but it looks a good ride. Thanks.

Just got this email from DW about Skylink and Reptar Thank you for your enquiry about the Kodak Sky Link. The Skylink has closed permanently as of yesterday and will eventually be replaced by new rides or attractions. The Reptar is on an annual maintenance inspection shutdown and repainting has not be scheduled during this particular shutdown.

Who knows, they might be going to paint reptar finally. Thats why they might not have a opening date yet.
Can I ask why you think it that Reptar needs painting? It didn't look like it desperately needed paint to me.

Well when i was there in January 2005 the paint was really faded, It made the ride look old, Compared to the year before when i was there it look nice, the paint wasnt faded. Anyway everyone has different thoughts

Hmmmm, looks like I may have to contact my Dreamworld Contact on this mattter to find out what is happening Maybe it is another Defunct ride which should go into the Defunction Database. Man I love my site.

An Update from me. Skylink is for sale, by Dreamworld. For Sale: "Skylink" Chair Lift Location: Dreamworld Theme Park Dreamworld Parkway Coomera, Queensland. Australia. 4209 Contact Persons: Bob Tan Ph: 61 7 55881188 Fax: 61 7 55881109 John Angilley Ph: 61 7 55881181 Fax: 61 7 55881101 Manufacturer: Ferrari Engineering P/L Australia. Year of Manufacture: 1983. Year of: Commisssioning: 1983. Condition: Good condition. Currently in service. Length of Lift: 312 meters. Comprising drive head/counterweight unit, return bullwheel assembly and five intermediate towers. Number of Chairs: 38 twin seat chairs. Maximum Line Speed: 1.5 m/sec. Capacity: Approximately 600 passengers per hour. Rope Specification: 32mm 6/25 FC RHLL. Power Supply: 415 Volts AC - 50 Hertz. Primary Drive: Holec variable speed drive controlling 11kw AC motor. Emergency Drive: 4.1L Ford petrol engine c/w 3 speed Borg Warner transmission. Reducer: Hansen RDG44ANR – 207.29 : 1 reduction. Ancillary Equipment: Inspection platform, rope lifting frame, wheel service press, spare parts. Site: Access for removal varies from good to restricted. Removal would be performed outside of park operating hours and in coordination with park personnel. Conditions of Sale: As is where is basis. Optional: Disassembled and packed into containers or onto trucks for shipment, at cost, by third party. Documents: Layout drawings, photographs and third party estimated disassembly costs are available to interested parties. Anyone want to buy it?