Loonytunes Construction/Demolition

saberon

Bushell Ball, as it was called, did have the superballs, and the tennis ball behind it, but it was done because the old cane baskets had an indented bottom, and the new buckets did not. This still did not mean it was impossible. It needed a high arc on the ball so that it would first hit the wall of the bucket, rather than the bottom. I was actually one of the cast who installed these buckets. Originally, they were installed without the balls behind them, and it was almost impossible NOT to get the ball in. It had to be made harder or it just wasn't profitable. I could stand on the verandah of the blacksmith, and still get the ball in. We spoke to the carnies at the easter show, and they suggested we use small and big superballs. The big superball made it virtually impossible to get it in, and so the swap to the tennis ball. Some of the games were luck, some skill, and some a combination of both, but they were all possible, and none of them "rigged" so to speak.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't you just put heaps of spin on the ball and aim for the back so it stays in?
Yeah I suppose you could, but the average 10 year old who threw the ball into the bucket had the ball come back at him/her - any wonder when you seen the underside of the bucket. From memory that game had more regulations than than a home loan contract (no rimshots, no crossshots, no reaching etc etc) couple that with the extra bounce from the bucket and it lends itself as an unfair advantage.

no rim shots, no angle shots, no leaning over the counter. no over-arm throws (wouldn't work anyway - just result in the ball shooting back at you REALLY fast - ouch) 1 ball at a time, use only your own bucket, don't aim for anyone elses (two balls at once - usually at least one would stay in). In the end, the only reason it was REALLY hard was down to the operator on how far they let you go before they called it a rim shot \ angle shot. Later on down, the rims were painted so there was a definitive edge between the two, and the operators didn't have to just guess. Nobody ever said that these games were meant to be easy. Its like a lottery - small price paid for a chance to win something very big. The easier games to win, or the ones based on pure chance did offer small plastic crap for those that didn't win the big ones, but in the end its still there to make money, so it has to be a little hard.

Well, it just isn't justifiable considering that Dreamworld up the way already has bumper cars that you don't have to pay for to get on. So in the first place, the installation of bumper cars is not really a strong drawcard for this summer, even though it is in some ways a much needed attraction. I can understand if it is an arcade, but this is an amusement park. I hate to be the first who revives this issue, but entrance to Movieworld is 60 odd bucks. Now, I can sort of understand that you may have to pay a dollar or two to play some of those arcade games. That's reasonable, and in some ways I can live with the fact that you pay a dollar for locker hire on Superman Escape. But if it is true, then I think Movieworld has lost the plot. It is for this reason that I can't see it happening. People just will not fork out for bumper cars. They aren't worth it. Not considering Movieworld has a bunch of high quality attractions that people can ride for free, and considering that the entrance cost is 60 bucks +. And surely Movieworld knows this.

To be frank i think an arcade installation is a total waste of money for all concerned, the patrons and the park. It will do nothing to minimise congestion on other attractions and it's just going to allow stupid people to waste their money. Charging for dodgems is nothing but scandalus. Shame on WVTP! But I do have some piccies! post-1033-1188390683_thumb.jpg post-1033-1188390700_thumb.jpg post-1033-1188390741_thumb.jpg post-1033-1188390754_thumb.jpg post-1033-1188390774_thumb.jpg the death of the looneytunes sign

Its true. Just wait until you guys see. Its all a extra Cost at Intencity. Sucks I know. Now you once remember where Intencity use to be at Movieworld, Opposite the Willy Wonka Store. That has now been taken out to go in the new venue as we see in the photos. There will be a New store opening in that old Intencity area that was once the store with the castle in front of the Looney Tunes River Ride. It Actually got Rotted with White ants and Termite so there for it needed to be knocked down. I have a feeling the merry-go-round will be going in there, or a different new kids attraction.

Edited by mattcrombie

Charging for the bumper cars is ridiculous and pathetic. It seems like a very ill conceived idea. This now means that the $62 (or is it $64 now?) 'all inclusive' ticket is NO longer all inclusive. I take back what I said about Movie World heading in the right direction: charging for a ride in a theme park is freakin' insane and outrageous! What are they thinking? Like, seriously? Hopefully this decision will be reversed.

Edited by Adam

People just will not fork out for bumper cars. They aren't worth it.
Firstly, people WILL fork out for bumper cars. Take a look at any travelling show. I just went to the Penrith Show on the weekend, and while they had a few of the same kiddy rides, all of the more extreme rides were one offs. Dodgems? TWO. Price? $6.00 a hit... and they were raking the money in. They aren't worth it? I think movie world would say different. Consider dodgems at the easter show or ekka, where a family might spend over $100 on entry, more on parking, more on showbags, more on food than what you would at MW, and then pay for the privilege of EVERY ride they go on. And how many dodgems are there at those kinds of shows? at LEAST two, generally more. Point is it doesnt matter how expensive the up charge, there are people out there who will pay it. There isn't one free-controlled attraction currently at movie world... meaning nothing where you are in control. Everything there is controlled by someone else. This puts YOU in control, and thats the difference. I guarantee you, people will pay for it no matter how much they already paid to get in. On that point, if few people will pay for it, this means shorter queues. I recall the dodgems at Wonderland, and they almost always had a queue, even on weekdays. Yes the capacity is poor compared to a coaster or the like, but it will relieve congestion by providing something else for people to do. I didn't see too many people complain about the upcharge on flowrider. Nobody complained too loudly about the climbing wall outside the claw. Point is dreamworld has been upcharging for lots of things for ages... to be honest i'm surprised they don't charge for the imax theatre. MW on the other hand don't have a lot of upcharge attractions, and thats why its such an outrage to everyone that they would. Recap: Dreamworld upcharges - Flowrider, Helicopter, Tiger Walks \ encounters, koala photos. Sea World upcharges - dolphin swims\trainer for a day, seals, sharks, helicopter, jet skis. Wet N Wild upcharges - inner tubes (anyone consider they might make the halfpipe an upcharge?) Movie world upcharges - none

Its not so much the fact MW have never had up charge attractions (they have in a way, eg old photos, that superman green wall thing, Hi-5 performing thing etc) but more the precedent in the general theme park industry. I cant think of a single full price theme park I have visited or know of where you pay separately for dodgems. Obviously with all the attractions you have cited there are reasons you would charge extra (capacity, insurance, special staff attention required etc) plus none of them are rides, but dodgems are too much of a common ride that work successfully without up charging. Besides, why should kids get their own dodgems for free at the other end of the park :P

I didnt include the green screen or the old time photos, because these are less what I would term an "upcharge attraction" and more what I would term a "shop". Old time photos, temporary tattoos, and so on is not so much an upcharge as an option. its not an experience that you take with you - its something tangible (at least somewhat in the case of the tattoos) that you take with you like you buy from a store. Yes ok - Dreamworld has them, and doesnt charge for them.... fine. but there are plenty of dodgems out there doing the circuit for at least $6 a hit. And if you're going to be that specific, I certainly can't think of any full priced theme parks where you pay for dodgems either, but that would be an argument for any upcharges - i can't think of another full priced theme park where you have to pay for flowrider... or rock climbing.... being specific doesn't give you an argument. Its an additional attraction which without upcharge would not be available to the public. if the public wants to drive dodgems, they will pay for them. If they don't want to pay for them - then they don't have to. I know I would much prefer dodgems to be self supporting by way of its own revenue than for movie world to up the ticket price to accomodate the extra expense. I won't be riding them, so i'm glad my ticket prices don't pay for them either. I am however glad that after two significantly pricey purchases, they're not just sitting back, letting the theming around the park go to crap, replacing old or tired theming with bare corrugated steel, and making the public wait 3 years before something significant, brand new, unique to the country and ridiculously themed is installed in the park.... now i've seen that somewhere recently.... where was it? Point is MW is continuing to expand their offering, to include all demographics, and not just thrill seekers or kiddies (cough - dreamworld - cough). The fact that they have spent in the tens of millions over the last 24 months, and yet continue to renovate, improve, add, expand and overall update the park constantly means there is always something new to see, and therefore keep bringing back their core local market, instead of relying on one big ride every 2 or 3 years to bring in the interstate and international tourism market for one day, once.

I can understand paying for novelty gimmicks like surfing a wave or getting a photo taken, but paying for a ride in a theme park is absolutely ridiculous. The rides at a theme park are not optional extras that you pay more for, like at a carnival or regional show.

""Firstly, people WILL fork out for bumper cars. Take a look at any travelling show." This is NOT a travelling show this is a hundred million dollar themepark with significant cost of entry. People have expectations with major tourist attractions that it is all included except novelty items and gifts which are usually tokens to remember their trip. We are not talking a small amount of money for families to come to moviewold it costs hundreds and then they wanna add even more cost by putting a charge on some crappy dodgems. It is NOT ACCEPTABLE! We are talking about a multi-billion dollar american company who operates this themepark and it is damn pathetic they ask people to pay for something when they have already paid a premium to enter, a premium on food, a premium on novelties and now they can't even ride everything for the included price of entry. IT IS A SCAM. IT IS DISGUSTING. And no one should be in support of it.

Whilst there is much discussion over whether you'll have to pay for the Bumper Cars; has MW confirmed that this will be the case? At this stage, speculation has only been made on an individuals posting! Is Intencity going to be a temporary attraction for the summer period?

Yes ok - Dreamworld has them, and doesnt charge for them.... fine. but there are plenty of dodgems out there doing the circuit for at least $6 a hit.
I think there is a difference between a pay one price park like MW, and pay per ride places like Shows, Luna Park etc. Yeah they could pull in $6 a rider, but in this setting they shouldn't.
i can't think of another full priced theme park where you have to pay for flowrider... or rock climbing.... being specific doesn't give you an argument.
As for the flowrider, this park does http://www.daflowrider.com/ As for climbing walls, they are a staple at many American parks, I recall seeing one at Knotts.
I know I would much prefer dodgems to be self supporting by way of its own revenue than for movie world to up the ticket price to accomodate the extra expense.
I think though its setting a bit of a precedent, arguably you could say all rides could be self supporting if they had an extra charge, but we all know how much the public would like that :rolleyes: I think another thing that is annoying about this is that many have said MW could do with a few minor rides to flesh out the park a bit, but its annoying they aren't using this as an opportunity to add to their attraction stock included in admission.

We are talking about a multi-billion dollar american company who operates this themepark and it is damn pathetic they ask people to pay for something when they have already paid a premium to enter, a premium on food, a premium on novelties and now they can't even ride everything for the included price of entry. IT IS A SCAM. IT IS DISGUSTING. And no one should be in support of it.
Just to clarify (because I thought I heard something different - but i COULD be wrong) Isn't MW owned by VRTP now? and are they american based? I thought they were more local. And as far as those "paid a premium" parts, you will pay just as much if not more at a travelling show of any substance, for attractions that are not the standard of movie world. I'm not saying im in support of it, and as has been raised, this is all just speculation at the moment, there's nothing confirmed from MW. I'm sure Rabid would have piped in if he heard anything disclosable, but its not a scam. scam (skām) n. A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle. To defraud; swindle. Now, there is nothing so far to suggest they will obtain this money by fraud, or to swindle people. People will see a price for the ride before they enter it, so movie world are being upfront and honest if they decide to charge for it. There is no way they are going to get on the wrong side of Fair Trading.
I think there is a difference between a pay one price park like MW, and pay per ride places like Shows, Luna Park etc. Yeah they could pull in $6 a rider, but in this setting they shouldn't. As for the flowrider, this park does http://www.daflowrider.com/ As for climbing walls, they are a staple at many American parks, I recall seeing one at Knotts. I think though its setting a bit of a precedent, arguably you could say all rides could be self supporting if they had an extra charge, but we all know how much the public would like that :rolleyes: I think another thing that is annoying about this is that many have said MW could do with a few minor rides to flesh out the park a bit, but its annoying they aren't using this as an opportunity to add to their attraction stock included in admission.
Firstly, no, there isn't much of a difference. The experience at either will cost you about the same. I don't see what the setting of the park has to do with whether they have an upcharge attraction. I was referring to parks that I know of. Your original statement was "I cant think of a single full price theme park I have visited or know of" and in regards to flowrider or a climbing wall, I can't. Well, I know I would personally enjoy paying per ride, rather than paying for entry. Depending on the relative pricing per ride, I think that would be great. Tourists who don't enjoy rides could still come for the shows, souvenirs and photos without going on any rides, and the park would profit, and then profit some more for all of the rides that other people pay on. When I go to movie world, I spend half of my day on rides, which is to say I have one ride on all the major attractions, and then reride once or twice on one or two of my favourites. The rest of the day I spend taking photos of the park, so I would probably save money on the entrance fee and a lot of others would too. i went to the gold coast in 2004 with some friends, one of whom hated rides and got intolerable motion sickness. He still forked out the full priced entry at every attraction we went to, to walk around the park and hold our bags while we went on rides. Imagine the money he would save if you only paid for what you rode? I also bet you that the queues on rides would not be so long, and that there would be a lot less people requeueing over and over if they had to pay for every ride they had? I know it will never happen, but its a system that would benefit a lot of people. It would also encourage movie world to get rid of attractions that don't profit, buying ones that do to sustain their income, which again would please the public because you would never have a bad attraction, and if you did, it wouldn't last long.
Let me guess, "Looney Toons Village" will become "Cartoon Network".
Well to be honest, much as I hate to say it - the looney toons characters, like hanna barbera, are getting old. Kids these days watch japanese cartoons and crap about homosexual sea sponges. The days of Bugs and Daffy, Mickey and Minnie, Fred and Barney are long gone. When was the last Bugs program\movie? Space Jam? thats ten years ago. Even the muppets haven't released anything recently. Its been a long time since we saw a good disney cartoon... and let me clarify, when i'm talking Disney, im NOT talking about pixar characters... thats your exception to the rule.