POLL - What Theme Park would you like to see in Australia?

Thrillrulz

What Theme Park Do You Want In Australia?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What major theme park group would you like to see build a park in Australia?

• Universal
    • Disney
    • Paramount
    • Cedar Fair
    • Six Flags
    • Legoland

I think we have buckley's chance of getting a park in Melbourne it seems their government and council think this is a tacky Qld thing and have knocked back a couple of planned theme park projects. To be honest i don't think something like a thrill park would suit Melbourne, maybe a Movie Studio with theme park type tie in. Something like a Busch African Safari World would much better suite Sydney, larger population to cater for larger attractions. The Melbourne crowd i cant see supporting something like this. However Perth would be a great place for someone to invest in a large scale park. Currently the East Coast of Aus really does have enough theme parks to cater for the local and out of state population. Perth is on the other side of Aus and has closer proximity to Asia. Our largest amount of tourism is from Asia. I don't think we can ever expect to build a park large enough with enough of a profile to attract large numbers from Eurpe or the US, we are just too far and expensive. I really think a Disney Adventure Park in Perth would be spot on. Disney would need to by pass the traditional Magic Kindgdom type park and just concentrate on solely building a custom Disney park. Include animal attrations and shows with a conservative number of Magic Kingdom inspired attractions, with some simpler thrill rides in an area like the pier in Calfornia Adventure LA. Dependng on the success of the first stages if the Australiana side of the park works then expand the park to be more of an Disney Australia Adventure. Imagine Mickey wearing authentic aussie kit, like a Jackroo hat and a swag! I know its lame Australiana..... but if it gets us a new park hell yeah! Imagine the love affair with Australia, which a lot of the world has, mixed with the love affair of Disney.... minus another magic kingdom.... boring... they need to stop that! Hong Kong Disneyland really needed to be something completely different. I am glas that the consortium investing in Shanghai Disney have said all attractions must have a point of difference.

Am I the only one feeling too much emphasis being put onto coasters in a park? Sure it is good to have a few decent ones but the park should be more than just a bunch of coasters. Even Cedar Point have realised this with additions like windseeker, maxair and skyhawk being added in the past decade to compliment the coasters. I personally don't mind which company comes down under (good bet our next one will be Legoland based on Merlins recent acquisitions) but as long as it is well planned out and has a good mix of attractions for both thrill seekers and families then I am happy. Having a park full of coasters will only attract teens, those without small children and enthusiasts. That is a large portion of the population to neglect and in cases one of the largest groups for potential income.

Am I the only one feeling too much emphasis being put onto coasters in a park? Sure it is good to have a few decent ones but the park should be more than just a bunch of coasters. Even Cedar Point have realised this with additions like windseeker, maxair and skyhawk being added in the past decade to compliment the coasters. I personally don't mind which company comes down under (good bet our next one will be Legoland based on Merlins recent acquisitions) but as long as it is well planned out and has a good mix of attractions for both thrill seekers and families then I am happy. Having a park full of coasters will only attract teens, those without small children and enthusiasts. That is a large portion of the population to neglect and in cases one of the largest groups for potential income.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:36 AM Something I have found interesting over the last couple of weeks is the number of guests at the hotel referring to "Rollercoaster World." When I give them a puzzled look they say they believe MW should be changing its name due to the fact is is overun with coasters now and there is nothing for the family to do as a whole and very little for the non thrill seekers. Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:39 AM You have to remember though that a lot of people probably haven't gone to overseas parks. Looking at the myfun website and seeing that of the 8 currently listed rides under their rides page (including BATR2 and GL), 5 of them are coasters. I would say that "Rollercoaster World" is a fair comment. - Now 5 of 7 are coasters. Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:48 PM The thing that upset me (being both a parent AND a rollercoaster enthusiast) is that a new rollercoaster (not referring to GL as it's not replacing anything) like Superman or Scooby, comes at the expense of a ride, or experience, that could be enjoyed by everybody. Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:56 PM I have always wished they updated the Movie Magic Sound Stage Tour instead of ripping it out to add another coaster. I hated when they took out a nice flat family ride (Gremlins) and added another coaster. I don't think that the location chosen for this new coaster is the best idea. I hate that Seaworld covered up the small bit of water that actually warranted the bridge being there to put in a coaster. I hate that Dreamworld moved the Model T Fords to the back of the park to put in a coaster. I hate that Wet n Wild, a park that is about waterslides and attractions put in a coaster. Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:06 PM I understand coaster overload. No it isn't just you... But the leaders of this site don't like people who don't share their views so a lot of people have simply stopped expressing their thoughts instead of having to deal with all the crap they will receive about their posts. Edited by Wyncenuros

^Obviously that was a thinly veiled attack on me. As Ive said about 20 times, I've never had an issue with free posting, but If I disagree with what they've said then Ill reply, because that's what a forum is. If people are "afraid" to post because one of the billion or so web users might disagree with them, then obviously their issues run a bit deeper. But this is getting off topic.

But the leaders of this site don't like people who don't share their views

... Do you mean the leaders of this site don't like people who share their views? But I think you're being very hypocritical, Wyncenuros. If you post an opinion, and people disagree, they're not allowed to post their own opinion? So instead of it being a discussion (with people discussing and finding flaws in other opinions and suggesting their own opinions), it's simply a statement by yourself -- or as you think of it, a fact (when it isn't always). ------ Oh wells, back on topic. I don't see what the problem with a park focusing on things other than coasters is? Amazing experiences can come from dark rides and flat rides also. Some dark rides can even be thrilling, and flat rides can have amazing stories also (take Hollywood Tower of Terror for example).

Plus its not just about coasters for me either, hence my dismissal of Six Flags / Cedar Fairs excess of coasters, and my love of Islands of Adventure and its great mix of awesome dark rides, coasters, water rides (And one crappy show ) In terms of a park turning into coaster world, well if MW were to build another coaster next year, and it wasn't family friendly, that would certainly raise my eyebrows. But at the moment we've wound up with a popular attraction, 5 years since the last big thrill, where the only negative at the moment seems to be people complaining they haven't got to ride it yet :P, and being competitive with Dreamworld this year is a plus.

Edited by Gazza

Am I the only person who finds it funny that there are people moaning about too many coasters where the gold coast theme parks combined has the same amount, or less, coasters than a park in Australia? And how could anybody be annoyed about the sound stage being removed for superman? Superman is the best coaster we've ever had, and the best I think we'll have for quite some time. Just my thoughts, got my flame suit on as people like to disagree with me :)

^Obviously that was a thinly veiled attack on me. As Ive said about 20 times, I've never had an issue with free posting, but If I disagree with what they've said then Ill reply, because that's what a forum is. If people are "afraid" to post because one of the billion or so web users might disagree with them, then obviously their issues run a bit deeper. But this is getting off topic.

No Gazza my post wasn't aimed at you. It was a general comment.