Fast Track

Original

I dont mind fast track systems if they have such small distribution at a high price that you don't notice their impact.

That is something I can reluctantly agree with. Basically, it's about fun and perception. It works at Disney because it appears to be fair, even though that's not strictly speaking true. If it doesn't feel like the line is moving slower because only a very small number of people are on the system then I won't mind it too much. If they only sold 20 in an hour I probably wouldn't mind because I'd be unlikely to notice.

This is essentially a Q4U in a different form. It's the same concept of allowing people to jump the queue. We've all accepted Dreamworld applying it to most of their big rides (including Shockwave in it's 'Maiden season'). To those who don't purchase it - it seems unfair. To those who do, it seems very fair that for their money, they get a few premium experiences. As for missing out on things as given in examples - sure - let them build a premium seating area for the parade - but anywhere you do that is taking away from street-space that GP would be able to sit at, so they're still losing out for the premium product, although technically not as bad because there are other areas they can stand, if the park is at a certain capacity, there are still less places to sit and watch the parade. AOS is another example in that vein - they have 'top rail' - but others aren't losing out, you say? Well - on a sellout night, if top rail is empty - that's a few people who missed out on visiting that night because they didn't want to pay extra. Paul's point with Disney wasn't about fast pass (or at least thats how I read it anyway) - Disneyland opened with a concept that EVERY RIDE had to be paid for. You had to buy tickets to spend on riding attractions (hence the phrase 'e-ticket'). These tickets usually came in a book which included every 'grade' of ride. Meaning you had tickets to ride several 'lower excitement' attractions (shall we say bumper cars in MW) as well as tickets to ride the e-tickets - (let's say green lantern and superman escape) so you either rode EVERY ride you had a ticket for (putting people on the bumper cars) or you ONLY rode the e-tickets (green lantern and superman escape) and wasted your other tickets - meaning you were PAYING MORE to RIDE MORE. Fast Track is the same thing. You're paying more to ride more. Disney's original concept for the park was all about charging people more to ride the big attractions more than others (in the loosest analysis of it's operation), and so is Fast Track. Bottom line is - VRTP have already done this. It's going to impact positively on revenue streams, and very little negative impact on anything else. Those who have passes might be upset, and might not buy a pass next year, but there'll be many more queueing to buy one for the next season. If this means more money for the park to invest in development, i'm all for it. On a slightly sideways note - as most of you know i'm going to the USA in a few months, and it is my intention to purchase a platinum flash pass at magic mountain (for those who don't know what it is, it's basically a fast track fastpass queue jumper pass). I'm doing this because i expect the park to be reasonably busy, and want to ensure that i get a chance to ride everything in the park in a single day, because thats all the time i have to spend there. Having this option at WnW means for a tourist visiting the park, they have this same opportunity. (and as I understand it, both the platinum flash pass, and the fast track pass at WnW are sold in limited numbers each day, so the impact is the same)

As for missing out on things as given in examples - sure - let them build a premium seating area for the parade - but anywhere you do that is taking away from street-space that GP would be able to sit at, so they're still losing out for the premium product, although technically not as bad because there are other areas they can stand, if the park is at a certain capacity, there are still less places to sit and watch the parade.

Probably a small point, but I was thinking about genuinely new premium viewing area, so for example in the buildings, or on a balcony on top of Stars. Also I know Paul's comment was about the ticket books, but I was responding to the point about how if I dislike this system then I also have to dislike all similar systems. Not sure if you were talking to me Alex but thought I'd clarify that anyway. And finally: why are we OK with the idea that a POP is essentially charging for rides as well? How can that possibly in any reality be viewed as a good thing?

I'd like to point out I didn't have a pass I paid general admission and was from interstate. I also took in a lot very negative comments about the system from the general population in the park about the system and it being unfair, this wasn't just a few. In terms of coming back to the park for these people, they might think twice if they viewed their last visit as negative. Also isn't Disney's system free? You've got to remember Disney opened their first park over 50 years ago, time change, could you imagine them trying to do that today? If you can charge a high price for it where the general riding population won't notice, then hey go for it, but my experience when the fast Track Line is nearly full and the standard line is overflowing, then hey some tweaking is needed. How Fast Track been rolled out to any other VRTP's yet?

• 1 month later...

Fast Track is a really bad idea. VRTP is just finding a way to compete with Q4U with DW. Some of the rides aren't even busy anyway, take Black Hole for example, some days it's basically a 2-5 minute line up (including stairs and main station) and they apply fast track to that but as for the constricter the line on an usual day is about 80-90 minutes long so adding fast track would make the line for that about 100 minutes which is a bit too long considering it is a 20 or so second ride. People would just go IRATE if it was at MW and if it was at SW, it would be stupid as because of the regular short lines on below-peek days.

^I believe we've discussed that Fast Track stopped after the busy holiday period. Anyways, let's see if it's back for Easter! Doubt it as all signage has been removed from front gate advertising it, but then again it did sell out instantly every day, perhaps signage isn't required.

Edited by Bmull19

Was speaking to a friend from work who went to Movie World today, he said he saw boxes with the Fast Track logo on them inside the new Photo Booth, and he said the batwing has cameras that film the ride.. Has this always been there? I'm heading there on Sunday for Easter so ill have to check it out :)

The video on Batwing must have been installed when it was down for rehab... I know they were looking at installing on ride PHOTOS for a while on the ride, but video footage is a step up and IMO I think it would be a good thing. Hopefully Batwing is not the only ride that gets this system... If you don't mind me asking, did you see how the cameras were mounted onto the ride? Did they install like a scream shield or something on the seats to mount them on or what?

I'm going out on a limb to say the 'video' referred to is just the surveillance and monitoring cams that have been inside the themed pillars so that the operator could monitor all cabins... and not a 'purchaseable video experience'

There isn't camera's in those pillars... that's why the ride has staff to observe the ride... as each seat can be seen by one of the 2 staff members.

No video on Batwing is new

I'm going out on a limb to say the 'video' referred to is just the surveillance and monitoring cams that have been inside the themed pillars so that the operator could monitor all cabins... and not a 'purchaseable video experience'

Im gonna go out on a limb and say fail AlexB

Ahh, the importance of punctuation...

No, video on Batwing is new

Edited by AlexB