Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

It looks like they want to open it early October- brrr. Let's hope for a warm spring.

Probably the smartest thing they could have done.

Unlike the GC parks, that deem it necessary to launch their newest attraction on 26 December every year, and every year without fail, something goes wrong in their peak trading times.

Opening in October does mean some fanfare is lost from not opening in peak season, but I think it's the smarter move - iron out the kinks in operations and automation before the queue stretches to the bottom of the hill and people start hating on you. Call it a soft opening and you can still have a 'ribbon cutting' on the first day of summer or something.

I find myself wishing more and more that AW was on the east coast so I could visit... or at least so that the management of the east coast parks could visit and see how to do it right!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the smartest thing they could have done.

Unlike the GC parks, that deem it necessary to launch their newest attraction on 26 December every year, and every year without fail, something goes wrong in their peak trading times.

Opening in October does mean some fanfare is lost from not opening in peak season, but I think it's the smarter move - iron out the kinks in operations and automation before the queue stretches to the bottom of the hill and people start hating on you. Call it a soft opening and you can still have a 'ribbon cutting' on the first day of summer or something.

I find myself wishing more and more that AW was on the east coast so I could visit... or at least so that the management of the east coast parks could visit and see how to do it right!

Well it certainly is a good idea opening there attraction at the end  of the year as that is one of the busiest times for a popular theme park and also as it's a water slide so would certainly aim for that time of year summer rather then opening slides like Whitewater World in early spring seeing winter can last a lot longer these days. 

You think it's a good idea to open a brand new attraction in the busiest time of the year?

And what do you mean whitewaterworld opens their slides in early spring? they've only ever built TWO outside of initial construction!! Hardly precedent!

And winter lasts the same period of time every year. the world hasn't slowed down... weather patterns may lead to a cooler spring, or a cooler autumn... but the opposite is also true - you can have a warm spring and a warm autumn - doesn't mean summer lasts longer either...

Good point about whitewater world but look on the bright side they've done something with the park more then what wet n wilds done recently unless they've opened without me knowing.

What I meant about winter lasting longer is up here in Toowoomba it's like it's only 2 seasons winter and summer. It usually only starts warm up mid to late September and summer feels like it lasts for ever it starts to cool down half way though Autumn. Last year for us we only had like 2 weeks of cold days in winter (in total) the rest felt like it was summer or spring.

No - he's right - despite 8 years passing since opening (which of course I assumed little rippers were present) sources show little rippers did in fact open in September 2007 - 10 months after opening.

I didn't visit in the first year, which is probably why I'd just assumed it was there from opening - especially since 'Wedgie' was touted to be the 'phase 2' replacement.

So at 3, you've kind of got precedent.... EXCEPT - on further fact checking, I note that the Wedgie opened in April... so that's still only TWO rides opened in September - which is still hardly a precedent.

Anyway back on topic: (Post on AW's Facebook page)

Adventure World’s ‪#‎Monster‬ mega slide has a 3m diameter flume that shoots a 4 rider raft towards the Tornedo funnel. Sections are preassembled on the ground before being hoisted and lowered into place. ‪#‎JamesBond007‬ ‪#‎tallest‬ ‪#‎steepest‬ ‪#‎longest

11750643_10153416669039564_1661301687192149561_n.jpg

11750655_10153416669024564_7851952832736364137_n.jpg

Edited by Tim Dasco

This is what adventure world said about the there water slide opening date.

Adventure World’s mega slide will open in early October this year, shortly after WA’s favourite theme park opens for the summer season on Thursday, 24 September for the start of the school holidays.

So it'll be opening sooner then we thought.

So something I'm curious about, what makes this the "steepest" Tornado? I was of the understanding all of them have the same modular funnel design, with the drop coming in at a 45 degree angle:
http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/6961-Funnel_Web/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-1482/offset/11

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/1255-Super_Tubes_HydroCoaster/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-202/offset/3

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/7978-Tornado/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-1678/offset/0

How does the drop go on this one? Does it do something funky like this?

its probably just the drop from the very top/start of the slide to the very bottom making it the 'steepest' (and tallest)

i would think the drop into the actual funnel would be standard as you mention

But what does overall height/elevation change have to do with steepness?

I mean to illustrate my point, a very tall ride, that isn't steep:

0611-88_Goliath_goliathbysunset.jpg

And a shorter ride, but very steep:

1103-2597_Vertical_Lift_H_IMG_9364.jpg

Edited by Gazza