New dolphin show on the way for Seaworld

Theme Park Girl

Yeah, Luke I think they would prefer you to include your thoughts here, as opposed to link it to your website (even if you just leave a copy of your review here). It sounds like most people like the new show better than the old one, which is a big call as that was pretty top notch.

Are there any tricks that are really different from the old show?

Do they still have that meet and greet time for kids?

The old music was pretty upbeat.

Those beach shacks look a bit on the cheap and nasty side. Do they tie them in to the show's narrative?

Is the running time of the new show longer than the old one?

Don't forget that the people reading your review here will probably be different from your audience on your website.

Looking forward to your AOS review.

Are there any tricks that are really different from the old show?

There were some new tricks but mainly the same as previous dolphin shows. The main new ones would be the paddle board jump and the slide out.

Do they still have that meet and greet time for kids

Yep only one child now. They pretty much do a couple of splashes at each other than its over.

The old music was pretty upbeat.

Yeah I guess it was but theres something about the new soundtrack that I just like better lol.

Those beach shacks look a bit on the cheap and nasty side. Do they tie them in to the show's narrative?

They are more there as just the set. Dolphin Cove has now been rebranded as Dolphin Beach hence the shacks, hammocks and surfboards.

Yes happy to have you quote your review here but do not use this thread to basically advertise your site.

Just curious why we see this review when the rest of the White Christmas and AOS review never happened?

Ok will do next time. The AOS Review will come out tomorrow morning and White Christmas later the same day. I have been pretty busy lately. The Affinity one came out early as I tend to write them there at the media event. For White Christmas and AOS they fell in a time where there was either more footage or pictures to edit or I had events on, I work in the AV Industry and this is usually our busiest time of year.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught the morning show of Affinity - it seems they are running it three times a day. Noticed a few cosmetic changes as well as a couple of new stunts. The order is a little different, but basically showcases the same skill set. There's an interview with one of the trainers and the part with the volunteer kid from the audience is done more towards the centre stage. Stunt-wise, what's different: there's the part with the canoe at the start of the show, there's a stunt where a dolphin spins on the stage and another one where it basically porpoises out of the water upside down (if that makes any sense). The music is fine (including a pre-show beach radio station), although I'm not too sure about the shacks and the outfit the poor host (Mitch) has to wear. So, if you liked the last show, you're probably going to like this one.

post-2597-0-50815900-1420804095_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-28388100-1420804123_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-28807900-1420804157_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-49731800-1420804193_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-62847900-1420804221_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-67618300-1420804266_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

All of the "new" things noted above have been done or used in the Imagine show. The show run sheet changes even during the show and anything can be in any order... Main things that determine this are the trainers, dolphins used and behaviours and general feel for the run of the show... The main reason they put the metal fences up during the Imagine run was that they would find the dolphins going onto the stage and spinning on the concrete... Sounds like more of a cosmetic change like they did moving into Imagine or like they did with the Sealion theatre shows...

All of the "new" things noted above have been done or used in the Imagine show. The show run sheet changes even during the show and anything can be in any order... Main things that determine this are the trainers, dolphins used and behaviours and general feel for the run of the show... The main reason they put the metal fences up during the Imagine run was that they would find the dolphins going onto the stage and spinning on the concrete... Sounds like more of a cosmetic change like they did moving into Imagine or like they did with the Sealion theatre shows...

Although they are similar behaviors, some elements are 'new' even to the trainers. The paddle boards for instance. Same as the rubber ducky? no - very different.

Yes they change things up in each show, but this is based on what animals are 'willing' at the time. Certain behaviors (and "group" behaviors) can only be done by certain animals or groups of animals. Has nothing to do with which trainers are present.

The main reason for the metal fences was because out of showtime, one of the dolphins beached themselves on one of the shelves, and was unable to get back off. Severe sunburn and intensive medical care was required. The animals usually have pretty free reign throughout the lagoons outside of showtime, but there isn't any staff in the arena during that time... so thats why there are fences - and there have been for quite some time.

As i've said before - marine animals such as dolphins and sea lions etc display "natural" behaviours. Although you can stretch those behaviours to a degree to get something that fits in the script and theme of the show, you can't just decide "the animals have to do something different for this show" so a "new show" for dolphins or whales will always only be the same behaviours with a different theme, story, set, or script.

To criticise the park for "only changing" those things, and not the behaviors is ridiculous. Those are the only parts of the show you CAN change.

To criticise the park for "only changing" those things, and not the behaviors is ridiculous. Those are the only parts of the show you CAN change.

I'm not criticising the park for "only changing"... I am pointing at they are not as mentioned all new... Of course they are behaviours, hell even I said that...

Probably a significant change to format, content or general style of show presented. That's what I'd say is the difference between new show and all new show.

Take other production in the company as an example.

Quest for golden seal to fish detectives - all new

Police academy to HSD - all new

HSD to HSD2 - new

AOS Lighthorse to AOS Spirit of Horse - new

AOS Spirit of Horse to High Country - all new

IMO opinion the new dolphin show is just a a new show. Not all new production.

Doesn't make it bad it anyway, I just think that's where the expectation and opinion sit.

Obviously this is completely open to personal opinion though, there is no right and wrong.

Rappa - you say Golden Seal to Fish Detectives is 'all new' - but don't the animals continue to do similar behaviors in Fish Detectives? Didn't they just change the script, set, storyline and theme? Wouldn't that make it on level with Affinity?

Agree with you - it is personal opinion... I just feel that if you don't think what they've done with Affinity meets the criteria to say it's a 'new' show, then nothing they do will ever meet that criteria.

Hell they could spend millions creating an entirely new habitat, dredging the broadwater and creating a new arena twice the size of dolphin beach - the animals would still exhibit the same behaviors, so would everyone still be saying "it's not new - its just the same old stuff" ?

There's also change in tone and theme. I would be hard pressed to say that Affinity has a 'new storyline'. A couple of shacks, beach radio and some different facts and figures does not really equate to a new show. However, Imagine IMO was one of the best dolphin shows in the world. You wouldn't want to tweak it much more than they already have.

A new show to me is like when the dolphin show on Sentosa went from the lagoon to Underwater World - there was a huge difference.

Alex I understand the behaviors thing and that's why I'm not really including it in my opinion of ALL NEW vs NEW.

Changing a song, or a background and essentially doing the same show with a different packaging is not all new.

Changing the overall premise, script, predominant look of the venue, and just the way the show presents itself I feel does make it all new.

This is why I also say the new Outback show is the first All New show since it opened nearly 10 years ago.