themagician

Movie World New Park Map

58 posts in this topic

Just look at the pathway @Reanimated35 mentioned from the fountain to Superman - being photorealistic means it's the colour of the path and thus, very low contrast against the grass. Now that's fine on our bright screens, but in the glary daylight with sunnies on? That's not a useful map. Trying to navigate your way through the exit area of Arkham? Not a useful map there either. Now look at the pathway from Doomsday to Falls, if I was a first timer and I wanted to ride Falls, i'd be looking at the easiest access-way, which looks like the white pathways in the Studios and not the super-hidden path that is actually there from Doomsday to Falls. Not a useful map there. Trying to find the entrance to Green Lantern just by using the map? Not a useful map. Arkham entrance location? Not a useful map. What about defining what's a guest path and what's a back of house path so guests don't get confused or find the easiest route and avoid hitting dead ends? Not a useful map.

This goes beyond "well we could just change the sunlight conditions" - it strikes me as a good idea in theory, then someone green-lighted a good idea in theory, and then instead of stopping when it became apparent it wasn't useful, they doubled down and finished it, probably because of the time and resources invested in finishing off something so detailed & visually lush.

The reality is, as a map it totally misses the mark. A map should clearly guide people to entrances of attractions and show clear pathways to get to points of interests, and it fails more then it succeeds in both regards. As a pretty thing to look at, it's really great, but that's it.

In a web development sense, this is a pretty clear case of being UI-focussed with no consideration for UX.

Also, speaking of web development, these kinds of inconsistencies shouldn't exist, especially on your front page. Let's not even start on the fact that their site isn't mobile friendly or disabilities friendly. In 2017, that's about as big of a website faux-pas as it gets - their organic Google rankings would be taking a huge dive because of it, and it's been over a year now since their algorithm was adjusted down rank non-mobile friendly sites and yet these sites still exist, and they'd missing out on millions of views annually as a result.

And i wholly expect the park to be really salty about all this being pointed out ala Scooby Doo instead of taking it as constructive feedback from the park's most educated and passionate guests who just want to support the parks in being the best they can be.

Screenshot 2017-10-10 10.38.01.jpg

Screenshot 2017-10-10 10.48.47.jpg

Screenshot 2017-10-10 10.48.59.jpg

• Like 3

There's a reason every useful map in the world is top-down.

There's a reason every major theme park i've ever been to has had a park map with exaggerated features to accentuate the parts guests need to know.

There's a reason every major theme park i've ever been to has left their back of house \ outside park boundary areas as blank white space (unless the park, or an attraction straddles that space, in which case a simple "two lines with the name of the road inside it" suffices for the roadway.

There's a reason why every part of this map isn't useful.

There's also a reason why @Roachie is talking about mobile sites in a discussion that really doesn't have anything to do with it other than the fact that they're both poor decisions made by the same organisation - but that reason has nothing to do with most of the reasons above.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlexB said:

There's a reason every useful map in the world is top-down.

There's a reason every major theme park i've ever been to has had a park map with exaggerated features to accentuate the parts guests need to know.

There's a reason every major theme park i've ever been to has left their back of house \ outside park boundary areas as blank white space (unless the park, or an attraction straddles that space, in which case a simple "two lines with the name of the road inside it" suffices for the roadway.

There's a reason why every part of this map isn't useful.

There's also a reason why @Roachie is talking about mobile sites in a discussion that really doesn't have anything to do with it other than the fact that they're both poor decisions made by the same organisation - but that reason has nothing to do with most of the reasons above.

Old website with old photos of the former park map triggered a rant, tldr. 

• Like 1