The Giant Drop Refurbishment 2022

See 119meters has no context to me. Like I know a meter. I know 119 but I can't really compare it to anything because I can't visualise what else is that tall. But a 39 story building? Yeah I can picture that. I've been in high rises before, that has useful context to me.

Some disclosure though, obviously having this hobby I now visualise the height of most structures in terms of how many 'Tower of Terrors' they are.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, joz said:

See 119meters has no context to me. Like I know a meter. I know 119 but I can't really compare it to anything because I can't visualise what else is that tall. But a 39 story building? Yeah I can picture that. I've been in high rises before, that has useful context to me

Yeah right. That’s interesting.  I very rarely go to a city maybe that’s my problem . I also live in hilly area and I know the height from the ground of most the hills. So I visualised in hill’s. However I now measure in Leviathan’s. 2 Levi’s = 1 dc rivals.   2 dc rivals is pretty much giant drop (if you round up a bit)

Edited by REGIE

If I were to take an educated guess either the 2nd gondola is being refurbished and wasn’t ready for re opening (doubtful they’ve had 12 months to do this) or has been broken down for parts for the other gondola (most likely imo). How much would a new one cost from Intamin?

Edited by Baconjack

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

or has been broken down for parts for the other gondola (most likely imo).

IMG_3069.thumb.jpg.5b9194692dcc38ea92d956df466a519f.jpg

East side testing, FYI.

1 hour ago, Guest 239 said:

Does each gondola need its own operator? If so I'd say it's purely a cost thing.

^ This.

On 27/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, joz said:

200 feet is imperial 1/2 ToT. It's not right if you need to do any precise engineering but gets the job done in most applications. Though the metric 60meter Rivals is more useful.

Glad to hear others do this. For my whole life I've done metric to imperial conversions quickly PURELY off the back of ride heights e.g. "400-ish feet is 120m-ish aka one Giant Drop" or "30m is 100 feet aka one Arkham Asylum".

• Like 1

It would have been nice for the ocean side to have been open for the opening night but ultimately the wait did not really demand both sides operating.

I haven’t visited yet these school holidays but I doubt the demand for the ride requires it currently either.

It makes more sense to always have one side operating consistently while the other is under maintenance.

6 hours ago, Park Addict 93 said:

It would have been nice for the ocean side to have been open for the opening night but ultimately the wait did not really demand both sides operating.

I haven’t visited yet these school holidays but I doubt the demand for the ride requires it currently either.

It makes more sense to always have one side operating consistently while the other is under maintenance.

I went today it was a 45-minute wait it would be really nice if both sides were open especially for school holidays 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

yeah it definitely wasn't needed opening night. 

It's not about need. It's a grand reopening. Regardless of the numbers, they should have operated both sides - even if the one operator \ operator group alternated between gondolas.

(Not to mention, if both sides had operated, i'd have definitely been lining up several more times to try East side too)

14 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It's not about need. It's a grand reopening. Regardless of the numbers, they should have operated both sides

I disagree and likely so did the park. They wanted the focus on the side with the expensive new lights 🤷‍♂️

Outside of the thoosie community I doubt anyone cared that only one side was operating.

Edited by Park Addict 93

You really need to decide which side of the fence you're going to sit on. You're disagreeing with me here, yet two replies up you're agreeing it would have been nice to have both sides open. 

25 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

I doubt anyone cared

You also doubted the demand for it would be there these holidays, and then immediately got corrected on it with reported 45 minute waits, so you can doubt all you like - it doesn't make you right.

3 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

I reckon the people who had to wait ages might have cared

(I don't specificly know if people waited ages on an exclusive "first ride" event... but they opened another ride.)

I was there and nobody had to wait ages, that simple! Taipan also was only running one train and didn’t have a long wait either (although Tailwhip did).

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

You also doubted the demand for it would be there these holidays, and then immediately got corrected on it with reported 45 minute waits, so you can doubt all you like - it doesn't make you right.

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

You really need to decide which side of the fence you're going to sit on. You're disagreeing with me here, yet two replies up you're agreeing

It’s called an opinion, this is a discussion forum, I’m welcome to mine as you are welcome to yours. I don’t think it was necessary on Opening Night, however if wait times are at 45m during the holidays I think they should.

Giant Drop is apparently more popular than I expected it to be during these holidays and I said I didn’t have first hand knowledge 🤷‍♂️.