Disneyland/DCA/Universal in 2022

Jessicajealousy

I mean, Rappa and I usually butt heads on most things but there's nothing but truth to what he says. The DAS system is the most abused thing in the park. That doesn't mean that legitimate folks in need are abusing it (although some were profiting from it as i've discussed below), just that others are taking advantage, which is entirely true.

When I visited in 2013, my wife had injured her leg at SFMM the day before, so we rented a wheelchair at guest services so she could stay off her ankle. The park helpfully provided us with a disability access guide and we were able to use the wheelchair entrances to most attractions (there was just the two of us). 

This helped a lot as moving through the park was a lot slower going pushing the chair through the crowds.

In the following years, we heard reports of people hiring wheelchairs to skip the queues, with people taking it in turns in the chair throughout the day. We also heard reports of legitimately wheelchair bound guests who would 'hire out' their services, taking whole families (8-12 people) with them through the wheelchair entrances for a fee.

This lead to Disney changing the accessibility options, requiring guests with disabilities to 'virtually queue'. It's entirely fair to do it that way but it is saddening that the system was abused so much they had to step in in the first place.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

If you or your partner have medical issues that make it hard or extra painful to stand in queues, Disney has a free virtual queue system, you can apply for.  It's called DAS.  People think the program is only for people with major disabilities, but it isn't.  

Thank you! We don't have any major disabilities - I did have ankle reco about 10 years ago, and I know it starts to play up after lots of standing or walking - most usually I'm okay. Might see how our first day goes, and we can always apply for it if I struggle! Thanks for letting me know :)

2 hours ago, New display name said:

What a dumb thing to say.

You are throwing rocks at every disabled person because like everywhere, a few might abuse the system.

No I’m not. I actually feel bad for the genuinely disabled people who have to wade through the hordes of low lifes over there who openly delight in abusing the system. There are entire bligs devoted to it. 
It’s very sad but its true and also far from “a few” that take advantage. 

So thanks for trying to put words in my mouth but kindly refrain from jumping to such conclusions in the future. 

1 hour ago, New display name said:

You don't need a wheelchair to have a disability.  🤦‍♀️ 

@DaptoFunlandGuyI already said DAS was a virtual queue.

1. I never said you did, just discussed our experiences

2. I know it is a virtual queue, the point is, it never used to be - you'd walk up and wait only long enough for the 'special needs' ride vehicle to be available and board immediately. It was a good trade off given it took us twice as long to move between attractions, and now, that is no longer an option, because the system is, and has been abused for a long time.

@DaptoFunlandGuy@rappanobody cares about that system anymore because it doesn't exist anymore.

@Jessicajealousyif you have a problem, it's best to do the application online and you will have to also do an online video chat/interview.   If you try and do it in Disney, you will have to supply proof and it will take hours.