Predictions for 2023

themagician

With 2022 coming to close, I thought we could share our predictions for Australian theme parks in 2023.

We obviously know Dreamworld is refurbing Dreamworks to Kenny & Belinda’s Dreamland, their expanding Ocean Parade and getting the Dreamworld Flyer. We also know Movie World is getting a new kids ride in the first half of the year. 

So what other new/refurb attractions will the theme parks get, but also, what minor works do we think will happen across the parks (eg. refurbished bathrooms, resurfacing)?

I think we'll see an outcome for Surf Rider. I'm not sure what the outcome will be but I am hopeful that it is going to Seaworld where Vikings Revenge was.

I think the Street Food Festival won't return to Dreamworld and we'll get a separate April event. I think the success of the Street Food festival has now morphed into the Night Market so we'll see something else being done, perhaps a bit more family friendly. 

I do think Dreamworld's refurbishment will continue, The Shockwave sign needs a tidy up and the Ocean Parade sign currently looks like it is being cleaned up. 

Otherwise I think we might be in the unique situation where we know most of the plans for our parks. I think Dreamworld's refurbishment will be very very rapid, i think the Switch over to Kenny and Belinda land will almost be done by the end of March and the Wave Swinger might be open by Winterfest.

(Side note, Sky Voyager needs a new film option. A few years back they ran a American one during Winterfest, i wish they would bring that back)

• Like 1

2023 seems to be a big year for our parks and it’ll be the first entire year with no covid restrictions affecting operations, attendance, tourists, ect (fingers crossed), so i’d definitely expect it to get slammed. 

I definetly agree with us seeing an outcome for Surf Rider, i could see it being sent to Seaworld or maybe they’ve given up with DD and will be sending it there as a replacement (i doubt it.)

WNW will also hopefully continue slide refurbs and repaints, I could see Tornado and Aqua Loop both being done within this year, i hope they also remove Flowrider, it’s never operating and just looks ugly off to the side.

But apart from that the plans for this year (that we know of) have all been revealed, so it will already be a big year for our parks and i can’t wait to see new rides, events, and crowds.

I think it's pretty likely Surfrider is getting moved to Sea World. Imo they don't need that ride, it's filler taking up part of a plot of land yearning for a big family attraction. But given there's no evidence of it being put up for sale and the land clearing that's happened recently, it's pretty likely it gets moved there.

Edited by Baconjack

If Surfrider is moved to Sea World, I wonder if we will see a refurb or the same branding? Either way, we will see 2 coasters next year, Big Red Boat at Dreamworld and the new alpine coaster at Big Banana. I think apart from Surfrider maybe being moved, I doubt we will see anything new from VRTP. 

Right now, we are going through a massive coaster boom in Australia. 2021-2024 will see around 14 coasters open (if you count the boomerang at MW as two and Project Zero as a new coaster) compared to 19 existing ones. We will see more coasters in 2021-2024 (14) compared to 2005-2020 (13). Am glad to be an enthusiast in this boom peroid.

• Like 1

I think we will see another refurb at DW similar to the train station.
 that has not been reviled yet

i think Luna park Sydney will do a few clean up jobs nothing major but just fix some areas.

I think something new will be announced at Luna park Melbourne near December (I highly doubt this one but why not try)

AW in Perth announces a new family focused coaster. Rn it goes kiddy coaster. Straight to Crazy thrill coaster.

GW announces a new attraction or 2 near December.

Green Valley Farm in tingha gets there pool refurbished 

another Sydney park gets announced. Then probably doesn’t get built like all the others.

seaworld announces or just secretly seals a fate for Viking revenge.

and that’s me folks 

Here is my in-depth version:

Queensland

• Dreamworld - Kenny and Belinda's Dreamland to open on March 31st, while the Dreamworld Flier to open in June and the Ocean Parade expansion done in December.
  • Movie World - New Kids Ride opens in April, and construction starts on the new WOO area.
  • Wet N Wild - Surfrider is moved to Sea World.
  • White Water World - Nothing.
  • Sea World - Surfrider is moved to Sea World, with Vikings Revenge demolished.
  • Aussie World - Nothing.

New South Wales

• Big Banana - Alpine coaster built and open in December 2023.
  • Raging Waters - Nothing.
  • Jamberoo - Nothing.
  • Luna Park - Nothing.
  • Magic Mountain - Nothing.

Victoria

• Luna Park - Nothing.
  • Adventure Park - Maybe a wave pool built.
  • Gumbuya World - Nothing.
  • Funfields - Nothing.

Western Australia

• Adventure World - Nothing.

For the Gold Coast parks, these are my hopes:

Dreamworld

- Bathroom refurbishments. The lockers and bathrooms to the left of the parks entry need some love. They haven’t been renovated in so many years, they feel old and dirty. Renovating and theming the ones next to Shockwave to suit Ocean Parade would be good too. 
- Replace the Shockwave sign.

- Add gardens/theming around the Dreamworld Express track as leaving Main Street Station. While the refurb of the Giant Drop has been happening, I understand why they might not have done anything to this area, but once complete, I hope they make it a much nicer area.

Movie World

- I hope they finally remove the hideous hut at the entry of the kids area.

- More of the Rivals track will be repainted.

Sea World

- I do hope Surfrider or another new flat ride is built on the flume station area. It’s perfect for a flat ride to fit under Storm and will ‘complete’ the attraction count for the park for the new few years.

- I hope we see the return of the Monorail

Wet ‘n’ Wild

- I expect park wide refurbishments and slide repainting to continue.

- Surfrider removed

- Hopefully we see the return of the Flowrider and SkyCoaster

- And we can dream that they remove the Zipline

WhiteWater World

- While I’m not expecting anything to happen in this park, I do hope for another new slide tower. It’s been four years since they’re last new attraction and while DW is about to have a lot of money invested into it, WWW should get some love. Even if it’s only one new attraction, build a new tower that’s large enough to allow for another new attractions in the future.

15 minutes ago, Ashley Jeffery said:

LPM really needs something but im not sure what they could fit in.

The Ghost Train opened in 1934, meaning 2024 would be its 90th anniversary. It would be rlly cool if they could do a major refurb on it in time for that occasion, I’m talking new effects and animatronics, something new to make it more modern. It could be a good addition to the park to bring in more guest, and wouldn’t take up rlly any more room considering the building’s already there, although it might be tough to get around permits considering it was build in a time period w different safety standards. If so though they could announce the second half of 2023 for a first half of 2024 opening.

We all know how trying to modernise old attractions go… nah I say keep it OG it’s one of the last OG Goust Trains left, it would be a shame to see it get a refurb. Things are only Original once . Plus it will probably look tacky redoing an old attraction.  I think there’s still room where the old Big Dipper was. They could put something small there

(edit. Doesn’t mean a clean up and maybe some paint wouldn’t be bad.)

Edited by REGIE
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, REGIE said:

We all know how trying to modernise old attractions go… nah I say keep it OG it’s one of the last OG Goust Trains left, it would be a shame to see it get a refurb. Things are only Original once . Plus it will probably look tacky redoing an old attraction.  I think there’s still room where the old Big Dipper was. They could put something small there

(edit. Doesn’t mean a clean up and maybe some paint wouldn’t be bad.)

Ye it probably wasn’t a great idea of mine, just a way for the park to add something “new” without it taking up space. Tbh I don’t see LPM ever getting a new coaster, at least not in the next 2 or 3 decades anyway. Literally any new addition to the park would be hard considering it’s so tight for space. I predict it won’t get any new announcements this year if not for the next few, just that it could do w something new to the lineup.

2 hours ago, Natti_amusements said:

Ye it probably wasn’t a great idea of mine, just a way for the park to add something “new” without it taking up space. Tbh I don’t see LPM ever getting a new coaster, at least not in the next 2 or 3 decades anyway. Literally any new addition to the park would be hard considering it’s so tight for space. I predict it won’t get any new announcements this year if not for the next few, just that it could do w something new to the lineup.

The only new way to get new attractions is to get rid of some. LPS had to get rid of 8 attractions to fit in the new ones in 2021. If LPM wanted to get rid of some to make a similar move to LPS, then they would basically have to get rid of:

• Pharoh's Curse
  • Enterprise
  • Twin Dragon
  • The Power Surge
  • Moon Balloons
  • Happy Swing
  • Ghost Train
  • Spider
  • Arabian Merry

I feel like there line up was probably the best when they had scenic railway, Big Dipper, ghost train, ect . I am actually it sure what other attractions they had at the time but the Big Dipper had to be the best coaster they have had ever right? When did LPM’s one close anyway?

People talking about space restrictions as an excuse for not adding new attractions. Look at what you can do if you're willing to be a bit creative and spend a bit of money. Grona Lund is a great example. Back in the day LPM managed to fit in not only the Scenic Railway, but also the Big Dipper, Ghost Train, River Caves and numerous other attractions. The question is, does Lindsay Fox want to spend any money?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

People talking about space restrictions as an excuse for not adding new attractions. Look at what you can do if you're willing to be a bit creative and spend a bit of money. Grona Lund is a great example. Back in the day LPM managed to fit in not only the Scenic Railway, but also the Big Dipper, Ghost Train, River Caves and numerous other attractions. The question is, does Lindsay Fox want to spend any money?

It's also a question of if they returned, or any version like them; would the metiocrity that comes with them be enough to drive visitors.

They could probably find a way to fit in a sky rocket ll if they do a bit of shuffling

honestly though LPM is being run more as a nostalgic vintage tourist attraction then a amusement park. It’s not really trying to hard to get people to come it’s just got a good location to just chug along 

Edited by REGIE

11 hours ago, REGIE said:

They could probably find a way to fit in a sky rocket ll if they do a bit of shuffling

You are right. I did a quick scale photoshop of a Sky Rocket II. It fits! Not sure if LPM has height restrictions. If not, it would be a great investment for the park. It'll also be Australia's tallest launch coaster if built. Thank me later LPM haha.

image.thumb.png.8b756d0677332e252b9acd74fe4cb2ea.pngimage.thumb.png.f2a3c3a2ed0ff9d01159be9876d2e316.png

A bit late but a few more

SW:

Demo of part of the monorail track (probably not all of it). Relatively clear to me that it's not coming back.

Decision to be made with the theatre/castle/vikings area. Maybe demo next year.

Potential for surfrider to be installed in the back end of the year.

WNW:

Removal of surfrider to be moved to sea world. Slide repaints would be a nice bonus. 

MW:

Other than the kids ride, not much. Construction of wizard of oz won't start till next year.

DW:

Quiet year aside from what's already been announced. Stabs at dark for opening dates - but june school holidays for rethemed dreamworks, september for abc kids world + big red boat coaster, then december school holidays opening for dreamworld flyer. Demo of tower of terror station & current abc kids world to start

WWW/LPM/GW/AW:

Nothing.

LPS:

Nothing. However, a replacement of the luna land banner with a proper sign would be nice.

Adventure World:

Possible new ride, possibly a flat.

Edited by Baconjack

2 hours ago, Baconjack said:

SW:

Demo of part of the monorail track (probably not all of it). Relatively clear to me that it's not coming back.

the park has already quietly confirmed the monorails decommission (via facebook.)

8039158D-F7B2-4DA4-A5FD-0F49AC0ED3E8.thumb.png.e5887108f74305b7941b64ece2cdd9c9.png

2 hours ago, Baconjack said:

DW:

Quiet year aside from what's already been announced. Stabs at dark for opening dates - but june school holidays for rethemed dreamworks, september for abc kids world + big red boat coaster, then december school holidays opening for dreamworld flyer. Demo of tower of terror station & current abc kids world to start

i can’t remember if it’s been completely confirmed, but from my knowledge the Dreamworld Flyer is meant to be opening June/July holidays, and the Dreamland area along with the Ocean Parade expansion are meant to be completed by the end of the year around summer holidays. 

12 hours ago, Rivals said:

the park has already quietly confirmed the monorails decommission (via facebook.)

8039158D-F7B2-4DA4-A5FD-0F49AC0ED3E8.thumb.png.e5887108f74305b7941b64ece2cdd9c9.png

such a shame. Really adds a pleasant atmosphere seeing the monorail going around and waiting for it to go above you.  Plus it’s the last monorail in Australia.  And it is very nostalgic.  DW is the last GC park with a transport ride open and even it’s one has been shrunk.  Is the seaworld sky car still there?  I hope they put up the seaworld monorail for sale just in case

or a monorail from MW to WNW would be cool but it would erase one of DW’s biggest draw are of being next to WWW

Edited by REGIE

18 hours ago, Rivals said:

i can’t remember if it’s been completely confirmed, but from my knowledge the Dreamworld Flyer is meant to be opening June/July holidays, and the Dreamland area along with the Ocean Parade expansion are meant to be completed by the end of the year around summer holidays. 

How recent is that screencap?