Main Street In for a Change...

mattcrombie

I will be honest and say that Dreamworld and MaQuarie really worry me with Dreamworld.... they have been making some very poor desicions lately but.... WVTP have been impressing me with what they are doing... so i am not so worried about the roof anymore. I think if anything the roof will also now enable them to use Main Street as a better conference venue etc. Lighting an staging can easily be rigged off the roofs supports now. Movieworld's as conference and event space is amazing. Maybe we will see more night events at Movieworld? As for Seaworld... i mean the water coaster opening in the future and the expansion plans with the government is one thing but waiting for Dreamworld to make their move and then watching them blunder BIG TIME.... then learning from their LAUGHABLE mistake now means they are building something that i think will do what Dreamworld was trying with Mick Doohan. Mick Doohan only needed a few simple tweeks and it would have been passable but the JetSKI coaster sounds fantastic... especially if they treat it as a family/kid attraction. As long as Movieworld creates a decent new show and have some big plans for another big attraction in the not too distant future i am happy to see them doing so well now.. Anyway random rant!!!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uh... I don't quite see what you mean by your post. Qldtaw just went off on his own tangent it was certainly within the barrier of on topic. He was just saying that he thinks WVTP will be able to pull this off reasonably well and how it could benefit the park in the long run. This could easily create some very constructive and interesting discussions. Now in regards to the roof, I have heard on the grapevine that the weather wasn't the main reason why the roof is going ahead. It was one of the key factors... but all I will say is that qldtaw and a few others seem to be on the right track. The roofing structure could open endless options for themed events such as the Movie World Xmas. They could have snow effects coming off the roof lattice and lighting and that's just the start of it. At first I wasn't for the roof but from hearing reasons as to why it is going ahead, I will say it's a very bold and brave move for WVTP... and if it is pulled off properly it will really work well.

Well, those were the sorts of thoughts I was having too. One thing I imagined was screens that would roll up from the sides and meet in the center (I'm imagining a peak vaulted roof as seen at Tokyo Disney rather than the Barrel Vaulted style seen at Universal Osaka) You would then have projectors mounted in the windows of the main street buildings that would be able to project onto these screens, and as was said before could relate to themed events, for example have swirling clouds and lightning during Halloween events, have a galaxy with UFOs whizzing across during the Sci Fi nights. Essentially it is a low budget version of that Fremont roof in Vegas (Since a LED based array would be very heavy and expensive) But yeah, special events and using the space as a huge undercover venue were my thoughts too, a great idea when you think about it, and the fact trees are coming back is a welcome piece of news. EDIT: Just looking today on GCCC PD Online , the thing that was approved for construction was A "SHADE SAIL FOR MOVIE WORLD MAIN STREET" Hmmmmm

Edited by Gazza

Hmmm no random rant today.... too busy at work. But oh no... not a shade sail... i am having terrifying visions of bad Westfield Parking lots with those awful off white shade sails all over the place... But i guess that does make sense in a way considering this is an Aussie theme park and a fully enclosed roof would be costly but not only that would trap the heat... the enclosed roofs like in the Disney parks are for cold wheather to keep out the rain and the cold wind... a shade sail would give shade but breathe allowing a breeze to flow through the area. If it is a shade sail as long as it's not an off white one :-)

It's not really one or the other. It's a roof that will completely cover the street but it's not 'solid' like metal or anything. It's more of a translucent material much like what you would see at sea world down at dolphin cove kind of thing. There is more to the finished support than what you see lying in the car park.

What have they done to the western end of Main Street? Completely ruined what was once a really nice, heavily shaded area. Very upsetting indeed. On a similar note. does anyone know if the tree's which line Main Street are still in tact, or have they also been chopped down as well? It would be a sad sight if we saw those get the chop as well.

they have been pruned right back, all you see now is the branches with the fairy lights on them.

There is more to the finished support than what you see lying in the car park.
Yes that wouldn't surprise me I took these photos as i arrived at the park, when I was leaving there was a truck at the scene, so probably dropping more supports off. Edited by ShadowXL

The impression I am getting is that the roof will be a series of peaks/pyramid shapes. Those columns with the 4 'branch' type things on top will all be arranged in a grid throughout the area, and tubes will extend out from those stubby 'branches' and meet so you'd end up with a whole bunch of pyramid shaped roofs.

It's not really one or the other. It's a roof that will completely cover the street but it's not 'solid' like metal or anything. It's more of a translucent material much like what you would see at sea world down at dolphin cove kind of thing.
Membrane roof?

hey guys just wanna quickly add some info i found out about the mainstreet change yesterday. there are currently about 14 poles that were put up on the night of the 31st of july. the roof is a sail but im currently finding out what type wether its simliar to the one over the stunt show or different but iv herad that the complany doing it is also the same company that has done all the other sails and covers for show seating areas and stuff for WVTP. they reacon the roof will be near completion in the next two weeks and all work is going to be done at night so each day there will be a slight change. one last thing the trees on the right hand side of the plaza area infront of ricks american cafe rumours have it they will not be replaced. that area has also been concreted. im not shore if this is of any help but i hope so enjoy :)