New ride for Luna Park Melbourne

bluman

Either way it does indicate that with the removal of both Metropolis and G-Force that something fairly substantial is coming to the park. These plans appear to have been long in gestation. Hopefully we will not be disappointed with the end result! Bring on that new Maurer Sohne spinner I say!!

I doubt they will use both spaces. They'd need to punch through the current staff offices to link both areas. Could happen, but I don't think it will. Still got space for a coaster in Metropolis old area though, if they get one. The things going on at LPM this year: New larger forecourt Restoration of their entrance spires Re-themeing/refurbishment of Holodeck(now called XLR8) This new ride. Edited by colliric_855

It's gonna be the Body Rock by Joylands Amusements (unsurprisingly the same company that owns Power Surge). I guessed it without even realising it was a competition so a double pass is most welcomed!

Actually that's the usual spring holiday temporary ride(Metropolis spot). Still appears to be another ride coming later in the year. Edited by colliric_855

I doubt they will use both spaces. They'd need to punch through the current staff offices to link both areas. Could happen, but I don't think it will. Still got space for a coaster in Metropolis old area though, if they get one. The things going on at LPM this year: New larger forecourt Restoration of their entrance spires Re-themeing/refurbishment of Holodeck(now called XLR8) This new ride.

Actually this could be very possible and would only require the removal of said offices. No punching required. The current staff offices you mention are of the demountable type building and completely temporary. Where they are situated follows the footprint of the original Big Dipper. With the removal of the G-Force, this could open this area up to be utilised by a larger coaster that could snake its way in between the Scenic Railway and the Dodgem Building. This may allow them to utilise a coaster design larger than previously thought. The pic below shows the area I am talking about

post-30-0-02178400-1378728254_thumb.jpg

The offices COULD be easily relocated to another area of the park, if that particular space was definitely required. Food for thought!

Edited by Jobe

Now Linfox owns both, they could, with council approval of cause, even be shifted slightly offsite over to the Palais side(consolidated offices in a new permanent administrative building?). Not saying they will, but Linfox is quite adept at making such developmental decisions. I'd wonder if his original proposal for the site included significant admin offices.

Perhaps that's the plan after all....

And put a well placed crossing/walkway in the lane. Or even the road closed to public traffic and turned into a "walk" like Swanston and Bourke, with only emergency, construction, Taxi(If needed) and Admin access. It's a pretty redundant lane anyway, except for the small amount of Parking(could easily be accounted for elsewhere on the Palais block).

Edited by colliric_855

Linfox does NOT own the Palais Theatre and surrounding carpark. This is Crown Land owned by the State Government. - the City of Port Phillip is deemed to be the Committee of Management under the Crown Land Act 1978. The Palais and surrounding triangle has been deemed temporarily reserved for public purposes under the Land (St Kilda Triangle) Act 2006. The CoPP have leased the theatre to the Palais Theatre Management P/L - this lease is due to expire in 2015.

The CoPP commissioned a comprehensive report in 2012 looking at various upgrades to the theatre and surrounds. This report is informing their ongoing discussion for the site.

• 1 month later...

Yeah Jacob if it is indeed a PowerSurge that is a little disappointing. Was hoping for something a little more unique or rarer- hell another Air race would have been good!! Don't get me wrong- Power Surge's are a great ride I am just a little underwhelmed. It IS positive that there is a new ride at last however. Pity it wasn't a Zamperla coaster of some sort... Spinner or motorbike or even a Volare( i know they have a bad reputation but it would have been an Australian first)would have been good.

New Zamperla ride, it does look like a powersurge from this angle and looking at their other ride lineups that's the only ride it could be.

Craptacular! How surprising that Luna Park's new ride is about as standard/boring/carnie/portable as you can get. Lindsay Fox's promise to restore the park into something special remains very unfulfilled

I agree, it's a poor showing. Who knows, it's not open yet, maybe they're going to miraculously transform it from a mediocre carny portable they've had before to something special?

you can roll a s**t in diamonds and make it sparkly, but at the end of the day you still have a piece of s**t in your hand

• 1 month later...