Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't me asking Mark - I was answering their question with info based on what you'd already stated given total project cost usually around double that of the ride cost...

Sorry Alex.

All,

By way of an update, the theming is now starting its install on Mi2. we still have a fair bit of painting to do and fingers crossed the weather is kind to us. Its even more impressive than I first thought.

Bumper boats is also starting to take shape and will be a significantly improved experience this year.

6 new cabana's are in, 3 around the main lagoon pool and 3 adjacent to the lower pool of Dragons Kingdom (Dragons Falls) for the very young families.

Much work has been going on with the food range which of course I have found time to taste test. (ITS A TOUGH JOB BUT SOMEONE'S GOTTA DO IT!)  There are some great improvements coming along there.  We have added a Tiki themed arch sign for the Tiki bar and in the off periods are going to be releasing dates for groups to hire this area out as a super cabana! just finalising operational details then hopefully it will be available for people to start booking out.

New small theming details have been added to Dragons Kingdom and its really starting to look lovely.

New surfacing is being laid on the Alpine Mountain ascent and connecting roads to castle, Black widow and Abyss, all of which were in poor condition. Alpine Mountain has a new name........ as do all of the slides.

The name and theming reveal for Mi2 will feature on Today Tonight around the 14th.

New website is coming along but probably wont be ready for season open, more like mid October. Upgrades to the e-commerce platform behind the website have been done and are now live. This has resulted in the halving of time it takes to process a season pass and with an expected 30,000 + passes being sold this year that's a big win (among others)

We just had our best ever turn out for our team auditions resulting in a brilliant 1 in 8 of those who turned up being offered a position, resulting in a very high calibre of super friendly, smart and motivated people to complement our excellent returning team members from last season.

There is a ton of more little things going on around the place and the energy and pace is frenetic just now. We are all very excited though about the coming season and really looking forward to opening the gates up one more time.

Regards

Mark

Sounds like you guys are doing a stellar job!

My first thoughts turned to the GC parks - thinking "why can't these guys get this sort of action done" - and then two things hit me - they open year round, so can't shutdown and do massive works across the entire park all at once, but the second thing that hit me is - they kind of are doing this - it's just we see it every day, instead of a big reveal at the end - so the impact is lessened - things like the news stand, and whatever they're doing with dirty harry bar at MW, an entirely new kids land at sea world... sadly it seems WnW has lost out a bit since the introduction of WnWS... DW too is also embarking on some massive renovations across multiple areas too.

This is of course fairly recent works, and some of the biggest 'spread' of works across all the parks, all at once that we've seen in ages. Perhaps AW has 'returned serve' to the GC parks, and they're now following your excellent lead... time will tell.

I'd love to come for a visit to AW, but distance and cost are prohibitive - in addition to the impending expansion of our family - but I look forward to what you and the team can come up with moving forward, and hope that perhaps MI3 might be the catalyst that will drag us to the west coast...

Keep up the great work Mark, and thanks so much for keeping us informed. We all love having you here as a park presence on the boards.

I hope the weather is kind to you guys. All the best.

I've got a suggestion for Mark: I think instead of doing an Mi3, you build a family ride or coaster such as a Gerstlauer Spinner, since that's one thing Adventure World is really lacking, a coaster that is more thrilling than Dragon Express, but less thrilling than Abyss. Even a family area (look at DreamWorks Experience at Dreamworld for example) would be great since IMO Dragon's Kingdom is strictly a kids area. The family sector is a good market to persue in the future, since it is and will be a large market to cater to. Investing in a family area will make the park more attractive to families.

I dont expect an MI3 next year , i think with the significant capital that has been injected over the past 2 years it would be time for the park to just settle for a while and recoup some of those costs.

Some smaller improvements and touch ups on theming etc- can still occur around the park and any additions would be something like more mini water slides in dragons kingdom and that would be about it for a few years.

Surely the owners can't keep throwing circa 10 mill at the park each year 

Anyway I doubt there will by any new ride at the cost of abyss or even MI2 until the exchange rate goes back up. Especially considering it is predicted to go down to 0.50 AUD buys 1USD. Getting a new ride with that price would cost double. Which will likely result in small attractions like maybe flat rides or small kids slide in the next.

Anyway I doubt there will by any new ride at the cost of abyss or even MI2 until the exchange rate goes back up. Especially considering it is predicted to go down to 0.50 AUD buys 1USD. Getting a new ride with that price would cost double. Which will likely result in small attractions like maybe flat rides or small kids slide in the next.

I wish it was 50c AUS to 1 USD !!! :P

We might get two rides at that rate !

I dont expect an MI3 next year , i think with the significant capital that has been injected over the past 2 years it would be time for the park to just settle for a while and recoup some of those costs.

Some smaller improvements and touch ups on theming etc- can still occur around the park and any additions would be something like more mini water slides in dragons kingdom and that would be about it for a few years.

Surely the owners can't keep throwing circa 10 mill at the park each year 

I'm fairly certain that AW are adding kids slides within the next year or two.