Tail Spin now open at Dreamworld

lolman123

So you're implying Arkham has 20 min cycles?????? Cycles are usually every 6 - 10 mins depending on how much the ops are on the ball.

No, if you are a single rider, it usually only takes 20 minutes to get on.

The cycles are ridiculously slow. They really should be about 3-5 if you think about it. The 2nd car should be ready to depart pretty much as soon as the 1st car returns to the station...

When you have a '15 minutes from this point' sign 2 metres from the front of the line (where they admit riders to gates) you know there is something wrong with the capacity. There is literally nothing else to say about it. If you want to talk about single riders at WBMW then look at SE. When they have 2 trains running they call for single riders at least once every train so you can ride within 10 minutes. In a 40 minutes queue I rode 3 times in 45 minutes...

When you have a '15 minutes from this point' sign 2 metres from the front of the line (where they admit riders to gates) you know there is something wrong with the capacity. There is literally nothing else to say about it. If you want to talk about single riders at WBMW then look at SE. When they have 2 trains running they call for single riders at least once every train so you can ride within 10 minutes. In a 40 minutes queue I rode 3 times in 45 minutes...

Well they usually let through 3 cycles worth of people, so a 15min wait would indicate 5min cycles.

They have 2 cars running on it again?

They did when I was there. It is embarassing what has become of Arkham Asylum. When I first rode it (when it was Lethal Weapon in 2011/12) the queue went well into the theatre and the queue was only 30 mins. Now there is literally a 5 by 5 room and then the ride and that is still like 1 and a half hours... They really need to have the second train operating all the time. There should always be a train on the tracks. If they did that the ride cycle would be 2-4 mins. Then capacity would be almost tripled...

And I'd personally prefer my legs and junk region to be left alone and have sore ears for 2 or 3 minutes. After all, it's just cartilage that's getting bumped around.

At least with the head you could lean forward or back and it would limit it.

If you remove the 'maybe' from that sentence you'd be right as well...

Someone really is bitchy.

Riding lethal arkham "around the time of the change" wouldn't contribute to 'dual train confusion' - Lethal had been running a 'purple' train for a long time at that point (purple being a mix of red train and blue train). It hadn't had true 2 train operation in years.

I have a recollection of two trains. I don't know when it was but I only rode the lethal weapon for the first time in 2011.

The last time Lethal Weapon ran with 2 trains was 2009 xmas holidays, in 2010 and 2011 they did not run the 2nd train ever. Early 2011 the red train was cannibalised for parts and converted into the "purple" train in preparation for the Arkham Asylum refurbishment as the current ride uses the old chassis from the previous trains. They even removed the training procedures for 2 train operation around 2010 as well, because when I was trained on it my operations manual had a foot-note where the 2 train procedures were that stated they were no longer in use and we were never trained on it. They did have both trains until early 2011 but both were never on the main circuit at the same time.

Out of curiosity, what extra training would have been required for 2 train operation? Doesn't the computer do everything for you?

I'm going to take an educated guess and say two train would have involved training on engaging the transfer track and bringing 2nd train on off. I would also imagine that as the station would pretty well constantly have loading unloading going on - it would probably require additional staff so there would be different "roles" to train them on (you couldn't have one person to check harnesses AND group people through from the chain, because that would be happening constantly). I'm sure theres other more technical aspects to it which no doubt Spotty can fill in... how'd I do Spot? ;)

WOW. I can't quite believe it...

Anyway, the ride is still popular enough to demand two trains so I wonder why they didn't consider having a 2nd train... Or instead by 3 trains and only cannibalise 1...

So you were wrong then?

I believe the reason we got a 'purple train' is that it was far cheaper to cobble one good train out of two poor ones, for a ride that wasn't that popular at the time. The revamp to Arkham has certainly revived the old girl, but she still is - at her core - a vekoma SLC. Whilst i'm sure a new train could possibly have been purchased, as I understand it (just like Sea Viper) the same rolling stock was used, and only the seat structure was changed. To have obtained a second train, they would have needed to obtain another set of SLC rolling stock, which would be considerably more than the cost to upgrade the one train that they had.

Sure it's popular now, but how were they to know what a re-brand and a new train would do for the ride? It'd still be a vekoma SLC, so it's popularity may not have taken off, and then they'd be stuck with a ride that had two trains, whilst only ever needing using one! What a waste of money that they could have put towards other things - like more efficient loading on their popular rides?

I'm going to take an educated guess and say two train would have involved training on engaging the transfer track and bringing 2nd train on off. I would also imagine that as the station would pretty well constantly have loading unloading going on - it would probably require additional staff so there would be different "roles" to train them on (you couldn't have one person to check harnesses AND group people through from the chain, because that would be happening constantly). I'm sure theres other more technical aspects to it which no doubt Spotty can fill in... how'd I do Spot? ;)

How many ops did they have then to now? Assuming a 2 train operation then, would we have had 1 grouper, 2 loaders and 1 supervisor? Or was it 1 grouper, 2 loaders, 2 supervisors (one in each booth)? Or something completely different?

Now it's 1 loader who also does the loading, 1 extra loader and 1 supervisor isn't it?

And how popular is AA these days? I haven't been to the park in quite a while. (Heading there tonight for FN though) - what's the average wait for AA now?

How many ops did they have then to now? Assuming a 2 train operation then, would we have had 1 grouper, 2 loaders and 1 supervisor? Or was it 1 grouper, 2 loaders, 2 supervisors (one in each booth)? Or something completely different?

Now it's 1 loader who also does the loading, 1 extra loader and 1 supervisor isn't it?

And how popular is AA these days? I haven't been to the park in quite a while. (Heading there tonight for FN though) - what's the average wait for AA now?

Queue most of the time at peak periods is greater than 40 mins. Normally similar or slightly longer than SE.

Lethal Weapon was still a popular ride though... The queue was never less than 30 really ever in peak periods with 1 train. Sure it wasn't the 2 hours it used to be but it was still the 2nd most popular ride in the park perhaps with the exception of Scooby or Wild West in Summer.