Thank you

Noxegon

sorry for the multiple posts....

@Noxegon - Megan is linking to roller-coaster.com.au for her gallery of Orphan Rocker pictures, which i'm pretty sure is replicated on Parkz at http://www.parkz.com.au/parks/AU/Blue_Mountains/Scenic_World/photos/ride/266

Please thank Megan for another fantastic read, and a great alternative view on our backyard favourites.

In other news, the ride info is about 12 years out of date @Richard - I did try to edit the ride info, but it only lets you edit statistics, not the blurb.

Orphan Rocker is the first roller coaster to be designed and built in Australia. Consequently, it perhaps holds the record for the longest ongoing construction period, which has been underway for around 20 years. Construction commenced in 1984.

Surely we're up to at least 30 by now?

Also - Megan makes mention of two articles suggesting construction commenced in either 1982 or 1983, although reading the news article, it sounds like the reporter is on the money with a 1983 construction.

7 hours ago, westical said:

Dated February 2015?

Yes, that's when we travelled to Australia.

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

Megan is linking to roller-coaster.com.au for her gallery of Orphan Rocker pictures, which i'm pretty sure is replicated on Parkz at http://www.parkz.com.au/parks/AU/Blue_Mountains/Scenic_World/photos/ride/266

I've updated that link.

17 hours ago, AlexB said:

Also - Megan makes mention of two articles suggesting construction commenced in either 1982 or 1983, although reading the news article, it sounds like the reporter is on the money with a 1983 construction.

I saw that and had a good read of those articles and edited it on the page. 1983 as mentioned in the newspaper clipping sounds good. But then I went back to an email from Anthea Hammon dated back to 2004 who said "actual construction began in 1984" -- it's perhaps likely that 1982-83 refers to fabrication/testing etc. while 1984 was when work started on the ride we see as Orphan Rocker?

• 2 months later...

I've only been to Luna Park once, and I thought it was a nice enough little park.  I'm now really annoyed at myself for not going into the Coney Island part, which looks like it's probably the highlight.  Australia is an annoyingly litigious country, so you don't really get stuff like that here, to find there's a bit of lawyer unfriendly fun, somewhat under my nose, is a rather pleasant surprise!

Great read as always!

Besides, if you can fucking afford to live in Milsons Point, then you sure as hell can afford plenty of quieter places.

This is my favourite part so far.

I'm quite surprised in all her (obvious) research and information gathering that nothing was said about the court rulings specifically stating "piss off, the park was there first, Nyah Nyah Nyah!"

Sounds like a wonderfully perfect trip to the park (sans mouse).

I love reading Megan's TR's!

Besides, if you can fucking afford to live in Milsons Point, then you sure as hell can afford plenty of quieter places.

Lol 100% agree with you. The residents shouldn't have a say in what goes on with LPS because it was their decision to move there and they were well aware that LPS was nearby.

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, iwerks said:

It would have been nice if you'd come down to visit, plus Singapore's fantastic. I saw you went to USS, did you get to all the zoos and gardens as well?

My new job will have me in Singapore several times a year. I'm waiting for the new Movie World coaster before going back to Australia – when that opens I'll probably be down for a three day weekend :) 

As regards the gardens, this time I did USS, Legoland Malaysia, Gardens by the Bay, the Battlebox, Tussauds, and the Formula One. I've previously done a lot of the other touristy things like Haw Par Villa etc.

• 3 weeks later...