Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point "Closing"

Coasterjoe

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I disagree, though I respect the opinion. If I consider something like Superman and something like Steel Taipan, I actually enjoy the experience of Taipan more. The accelerator launch is intense, but it's over quickly and then its just a section of track with hills in it designed to slow you down a bit before you hit the brakes. Taipan on the other hand, the launch builds, and builds, and builds, before giving you the same bunny-hop experience. The ride time is longer as a result too.

Although the pure acceleration from 0-?? is wild, I also enjoy the 'booster' acceleration of an already moving train - the reverse launch on Taipan is quite something, IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I disagree, though I respect the opinion. If I consider something like Superman and something like Steel Taipan, I actually enjoy the experience of Taipan more. The accelerator launch is intense, but it's over quickly and then its just a section of track with hills in it designed to slow you down a bit before you hit the brakes. Taipan on the other hand, the launch builds, and builds, and builds, before giving you the same bunny-hop experience. The ride time is longer as a result too.

Although the pure acceleration from 0-?? is wild, I also enjoy the 'booster' acceleration of an already moving train - the reverse launch on Taipan is quite something, IMO.

I do believe the rocking launch with the spike will be a better ride experience. The nerfed comment just means it's less powerful. Accelerators kick you up the arse but are generally one trick ponies.

I don’t know… overall ride experience is better, I guess, but TTD’s launch was incredibly special. You’d have to think hydraulic launch coasters’ days are numbered as lsm tech improves and more parks look to convert them but I agree with Gaz in that swing launches are better suited midcourse or with some elements between. Hard to beat that initial punch…

Anyway it’s fascinating to see Zamperla take on this project. Beast of a task without much behind them? Thunderbolt at NY’s Coney Island was the most painful coaster I’ve ridden and that rattle in TT2’s POV is bringing back some memories 😬

Yeah, they each have their benefits & downsides. Superman’s works because of the anticipation before the launch, succeeded by a sharp burst of acceleration. Steel Taipan’s works because it spruces up an otherwise subpar/generic layout with an interesting, ‘unique’, & surprisingly forceful element (this applying to both the twisted spike & the swing launch, as they hit rather hard for a Mack LSM, especially when using the spinning seat). But, if a coaster successfully maximised the experience of one launch type, then retroactively got the other, it’ll inevitably be hard to justify the change, especially to those who prefer the experience of the first launch type. Again, a similar scenario only worked in Steel Taipan’s favour because the previous iterations of the layout were generally considered stale and lacking in force, so the OG launch program that usually occurred had it’s removal welcomed instead of criticised, as it barely did it’s job as it was.

Edited by Tricoart

• 3 weeks later...

On 04/04/2024 at 8:41 AM, Dean Barnett said:

I find the launch on ST boring. Hopefully the sheer speed of TT2 makes it less like ST. 

Considering there both different rides they are going to be completely different. I don't know what you mean by making it less like ST it's going to be faster obviously to get them at the top so its a stupid to compare the 2.

4 hours ago, Gazza said:

^Two rides can have different top speeds but the same acceleration.

Yes indeed but its still going to be a different ride experience so you cant really compare them. If it was comparing Blue Fire to ST I would understand that.