Movie World Scheduled Maintenance 2023

TBoy

Let's have some fun with data! Our parks are likely sitting on decades worth of data from their internal systems, surveys and feedback forms. Assuming certain aspects, let's experiment with a simple guest satisfaction model.

Let's consider multiple factors such as operational attractions, queue wait times, weather, key attraction availability, crowd level, food and drink quality, park cleanliness, and staff performance. We score each factor from 0 (no negative impact) to 9 (high negative impact).

Next, we can assign weights to these factors based on visitor feedback from surveys and such, reflecting their relative importance to overall satisfaction. That gives us:

Predicted Guest Satisfaction = WnN + WqQ + WwW + WaA + WcC + WfF + WpP + WsS

Where:

• N, Q, W, A, C, F, P, S are the scores for each factor.
  • Wn, Wq, Ww, Wa, Wc, Wf, Wp, Ws are the respective weights.

Let's consider an example day where we have the following impact scores:

• Operational Attractions: 2
  • Queue Lengths: 7
  • Weather: 0
  • Key Attraction Availability: 1
  • Crowd Level: 4
  • Food & Drink: 0
  • Cleanliness: 0
  • Staff: 0

And the weights based on visitor feedback are:

• Attractions: 0.2
  • Queues: 0.3
  • Weather: 0.1
  • Key attractions: 0.1
  • Crowd level: 0.1
  • Food and drink: 0.1
  • Cleanliness: 0.05
  • Staff: 0.05

Substituting the scores and weights into the formula:

Satisfaction Score = 0.2*2 (Attractions) + 0.3*7 (Queues) + 0.1*0 (Weather) + 0.1*1 (Key attractions) + 0.1*4 (Crowd level) + 0.1*0 (Food and drink) + 0.05*0 (Cleanliness) + 0.05*0 (Staff)

This gives us a score 3.0. With this system the lower, the better. Using the same survey and feedback data we could fairly comfortably determine a threshold score such as, for example, 4 .0 that might warrant guest compensation.

Is this perfect? Not at all, but it's scalable and modular. It takes some of the guess work out of our problem.

Edited by Guest 239

30 minutes ago, Slick said:

I'd agree with this. So in the context of Movie World and the present situation, what is it?

I think the most accurate answer is "you'll know it when you see it".  Furthermore, it's going to vary from guest to guest (or group to group), but boils down to whether the guest feels that they got the product/service they paid for.  What I'm going to say is not going to be popular but I think there's some validity to it;

For some folks one closure may well be enough to justify a remedy from the visit.  If, for example, the park has repeatedly made representations to you that you should visit to ride their brand-new ride (and possibly even marketed to you solely about the new ride) then you may well feel that you did not get the product/service you paid for and should seek a remedy from the park.

If you were visiting with young children and a substantial number of the children's rides in the park were not open then you may well feel that you did not get the product/service you paid for and should seek a remedy from the park.

If you were an adult or teenager who visited the park and found that a substantial number of the thrill rides in the park were not open then you may well feel that you did not get the product/service you paid for and should seek a remedy from the park.

All of this assumes a couple of things, though;

• That the park took reasonable steps to provide you clear and accurate information about known issues (whether within or beyond their control) that may affect their ability to deliver the product/service you paid for, and what remedies they would offer in this scenario.
  • Were proactive in providing updates to the customer about any changes to the nature of the product/service you paid for.
  • Like 2

It feels like you're trying to corner someone into a specific quantifiable measure to argue against - it isn't that simple.

Not only does the park, the attraction mix and the number of rides impact on quantifying, so does the individual guest. I still think it's hard to have a firm line. If you're open, you consider that you can offer guests something.

Guests coming into Movie World with children under 10 right now are only lacking the carousel (and scooby) so the vast majority of the kid's lineup is available. The present situation for older guests has DC Rivals, West and Doomsday down (and scooby). It's bordering on becoming an issue for one-day guests *in my opinion* - especially if unplanned closures impact on the day. 

Green Lemon, Batwang and Superman, along with Justice League and Roxy are the only 'adult' offerings available. If they lost another one out of that lineup, i'd hope guest services would be receptive to a request from a disappointed day-guest. (Again, *in my opinion*)

A short while ago I posted a picture of the A-frame outside the park when they had a significant number of closures on the board - such a list was so long, they nearly ran out of room for all the magnets they had on there. On a day like that there should be no question - hands down, have your refund.

But again, individual circumstances vary, and one person's ruined day can be another's 'best day'. 

I'm not intimately familiar with the park the screenshots posted earlier came from. All I can see is two attractions open, and most of the big names (the ones i've heard of) were closed. For me, that'd be a deal breaker - and given most of my trips overseas don't have spare days to try a park on more than one day - if that was their offering for my one and only chance to visit - i'd demand my money back, simple as that.

I had heard talk Batman would fly the zipline down mainstreet again, but had assumed he'd go over the old stars cafe. 

This crap has no place on the sidewalk of main street and just smacks of being lazy. They could have themed it to look like the building was undergoing works... it's not like that's a new idea...

Police Academy Stunt Show | Show at Warner Bros. Movie World | Parkz -  Theme Parks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noll_57 said:

What is this monstrosity? 
7089BF75-F5B0-42FE-8986-F5FD821DF71F.thumb.jpeg.c61d8bda55e635eef926ce58c320a530.jpegEE0F1E3F-C6AB-4CA9-8F42-007952E2D1F7.thumb.jpeg.4bc5742516268b011eb36c3d82e5e993.jpeg

This is their new zip-line for this year's second Heroes & Villains event. For some unknown reason, they've not used the existing infrastructure built into the Dru Building, for events a few years back.

They should've at least added a themed wrap to the scaff, or maybe a big construction company logo to it? That's how the parks operate these days right?

It seems as though they have also added some dreadful railings to the top left of the Daily Planet building, whilst also covering two of the windows, again for some unknown reason.

20 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I haven't seen any pics of this, but from the sounds of it - it sounds like your usual Aussie WH&S requirements due to fall risk.

Jaggs posted the attached picture on his page earlier this week. Strangely there is only new railings on the left side of the building and not the right. Generally access to this roof has only ever needed fall arrest harnesses, and not railings.

Not sure what is going on with the windows either, but it looks extremely crap imo.

353413604_979646873213534_1454727452078181195_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

Be fun to see if this opens for school holidays tomorrow

It will be very interesting.  I hope it does. The more rides open the better the capacity. And I actually find doomsday really fun . But I definitely wouldn’t bet on it . Maybe the first few days but it will go down again I think.

There’s a bit more to it then just admitting a mistake and getting a new ride.  They would have spent millions on this ride not long ago, and replacing it would also cost millions. Like probably 5 million minimum. And they would have to fully retheme it and redo the area.    You can’t fully blame them for trying to get it operating .  This might have been their last attempt at keeping it.

Edited by REGIE

2 hours ago, REGIE said:

There’s a bit more to it then just admitting a mistake and getting a new ride.  They would have spent millions on this ride not long ago, and replacing it would also cost millions. Like probably 5 million minimum. And they would have to fully retheme it and redo the area.    You can’t fully blame them for trying to get it operating .  This might have been their last attempt at keeping it.

at this point the costs of running and maintaining DD would be severely higher then the return on investment. spending large chunks of money to maintain rides like Scooby, WWF and Superman makes sense as they’re crowd favourites and always pull long lines but Doomsday rarely has a line and considering the low throughput that’s saying something. you could just theme the new ride to Doomsday or a new villain that’s taken over the city. anything would be better then their current situation. 

• Like 3