Dreamworld Updated Park Map - 2023

themagician

You can be pro DW and Pro Village. Or be pro one or Neutral the other or pro one and against the other, or negatively inclined to both. It doesn't matter.

You want to say that 'you're more neutral than pro' then have at it, you may have a point there. The thing is your tone was off when talking about the map thing. You sounded EXACTLY like a DW simp. You said you couldn't see the map, that also explains it in quite a satisfactory way so fair play really. 👍🏻

14 hours ago, Tricoart said:

and the instance you sent is super oversaturated

It wasn’t oversaturated in my photo roll but For some reason it went like that when I posted it on here.  

14 hours ago, Tricoart said:

They both do sections clearly, keep to an art style that's the right amount of detailed for modern times, have good keys

Yeah no I agree. Those ones do look better especially when used digitally.  The art style feels fun and vibrant and works with dreamworld’s other art styles imo.   

I am surprised no one has brought up that embarrassment of a map that is DW’s 3D digital map that’s less reliable than dooms day.  Damn that thing needs to be removed or completely overhauled. It’s a good idea that basically no effort was put into.   

Edited by REGIE

17 minutes ago, REGIE said:

I am surprised no one has brought up that embarrassment of a map that is DW’s 3D digital map that’s less reliable than dooms day.  Damn that thing needs to be removed or completely overhauled. It’s a good idea that basically no effort was put into.   

That's because the discussion isn't new - if you do a search you'll find laboriously-long essays from myself and other members discussing the aesthetics of park maps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 2:57 PM, joz said:

The only thing I think is being missed that I don't think you've said, is aside from the point about why its justified, the new map sucks the big one. The design is stark and makes the place look empty. They've used it for years and when it came out I made the comment that you look at it and wonder how you'd fill a day there, and that was when the park had a much fuller attraction count. Look at old versions of the modern map from pre 2016 and you'll see what I mean.

I found a couple maps that are still the same style, the first one from around 2014 and the second from 2018

IMG_5567.thumb.gif.57a3033589304523a4eaa212ed42e886.gif

IMG_5568.thumb.jpeg.d23711a2f02eea3a860baae39fb816be.jpeg

While the first one has more rides as it was before Gold Rush was demolition, for me, the second map makes me feel like there is more to do because they list every single thing to see and do in the park. Every single animal is listed, WWW is included, they label all the different areas and there are number/letters for every single attraction, store and food outlet.

Doing all of that makes it look like there is so much more to do in comparison to the parks down the road. And while, yes since that second map was released, several attractions have been removed. But on that map, they show a construction hat over where Sky Voyager is being built. They could do that on todays maps over the fountain now it’s about to become Dreamworld Flyer and soon they could do it over ABC Kids for when Rivertown construction begins. They could put more trees over the former log ride area to fill it out more. And despite it not being open, I would put the billabong restaurant building back on the map as a point of reference for way finding (just don’t label it as anything)

And also adding back in the aviary, twilight trail and the new Bilby centre fills out the map more, especially if they’re listed as individual things to see and do at the park. And to make the map more accurate, remove pathways that aren’t there like the ones circled.

IMG_5569.thumb.jpeg.c0e416b99ebb43c41b71d3b50dce198f.jpeg

Having said all that, the park doesn’t hand these maps out anymore. I’m not sure how many day guests would actually look at the maps on the website, most probably just refer to the maps throughout the park. So does all of these things need to be done, probably not, but just putting ideas and thoughts out there because as a theme park enthusiast, I just want to see the parks at their best and it sometimes the small things make a big difference.

Edited by themagician

I much prefer the 2018 map. I remember around 2018 it was my first time back at Dreamworld in several years and that map made me feel Iike there was so much more to do at Dreamworld than Movieworld. I honestly think they should go back to that style and bring back the maps in hard copy form at the entrance. They are a great keepsake and a quintessential part of a  theme park visit.

Dreamworld seems to have an incredible amount of momentum now and they really should be capitalising on their size, most Google reviews comment on dreamworlds range of activities and low wait times. 

• Like 1

On 25/04/2023 at 8:22 AM, themagician said:

they label all the different areas and there are number/letters for every single attraction, store and food outlet.

Something that shits me about park maps is when things are numbered, but the numbers don't necessarily follow a pattern - ie- they don't number from 1-20 starting top left and finishing bottom right, so while it is numbered, if you're not familiar with the park or what land things are supposed to be in, you end up playing a 'hidden object' game to try and find the number.

A better option is to grid the map (like a street directory) so you can list the map reference of each thing - ie: A5, D2 etc.

Best option is to have an app where you can find the thing you want and then tap 'directions' and have it plot out a path for you to walk from where you are to where you want to go, but i'll settle for map references if the app is too hard.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 7:48 PM, themagician said:

This note has been added on the park map page, which makes me think we might be seeing a new style of map coming next year. 

IMG_0130.thumb.jpeg.053687d46d53f3f2caf960b9b921d9bc.jpeg

The Park map looks so sad and empty compared to the old ones. What does everyone think will be Dreamworlds next project in the park after the completion of Rivertown and the other new additions. I wish they brought back like a log flume detailed like WWF at Movie World. ??????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Haydos said:

The Park map looks so sad and empty compared to the old ones.

It's definitley looks to be lacking, but for the most part it has been looking like this for a few years. But obviously with ABC removed from the map, of course it's going to be look even more lacking.

But as I've mentioned before, there are things missing off the map that are in the park that aren't on the map. Theres some things in the wildlife area that are missing. And depsite it not being open (unless it's being demolished), I would be including the Billabong Restaurant on the map to not only fill out that part of the map, but also to have a point of reference for wayfinding. The area to the right of the Tailspin looks empty (which in reality it is), but they show there are toilets there, so why not have the actual building on the map.

17 hours ago, Haydos said:

What does everyone think will be Dreamworlds next project in the park after the completion of Rivertown

My guess would be either developing the land where the log ride was, or the empty space in Ocean Parade (and beyond). If they have been adding/expanding to Ocean Parade already this year, maybe thats the next area of focus because it's a very noticable when in the park.

Yeah the old skirmish building gets great mileage as a temporary venue for mazes and walkthrough experiences that are pretty cool and clearly not that expensive to maintain and operate - but the whole area is currently a waste and they need to repurpose it. There's only a few black curtains separating the walkthrough area from the old Alien\Predator sets - use it or get rid of it and open the whole space up for other uses.

• Like 1