WhiteWater World Construction Discussion

Richard

Do you think Dreamworld will co-ordinate the opening of their new 'attraction' with the opening of WWW?
I will just let you guys know something. Not to get your hopes up. There is no New Atttraction for the old Blue Laoon site. Someone inform me if im wrong. But im 100% sure. Im rarley wrong. just wanted to tell ya all.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to post the link directly to the photos because I was trying to secure high resolution versions of their construction photos but that proved too difficult. In regards to the spaciousness, remember that it's a park which is designed to have several thousand guests every day. For every person that's queuing or on a slide, there will be another person who wants to lounge in the sun or shade on a deck chair. Think of how much of Wet'n'Wild is dedicated to just open spaces for these purposes, and also how well-utilised they are by guests, and you'll see what it is so spacious. All buildings are finished, so in terms of infrastructure, what you see is what you get. The two toilet blocks are the two matching white buildings. I'm most surprised that there's not one directly as you walk in the door as with every other water park I've been to. I suppose the thinking is that if they have two at equal distances from the entrance at far ends of the park, it'll distribute guests evenly throughout.

I am a little concerned though with this report, I am suprised they didn't mention Adventure World in their report. I mean, Adventure World is owned by the dreaded Macquarie Bank & Leisure Operations correct? This may have changed, as I have noticed Adventure World is not on the Money Greedy Macquarie Bank's Leisure Operations Website, nor is it on the Dreamworld Website, as part of the Corporate Information like it used to be. Am I missing something here?

Adventure World is privately owned but was managed by Omni Leisure, which originally operated Dreamworld and Macquarie Leisure's marinas and was 40% owned by Macquarie Leisure Trust. In 2003 Macquarie Leisure Trust bought out the remaining 60% from its shareholders in exchange for units in Macquarie Leisure Trust and formed their own internal management company called Macquarie Leisure Operations. I believe they are still managing the park - I've heard nothing to the contrary. As for "money greedy", they're a publicly listed trust who have a legal and moral duty to their unitholders to maximise profits. They're a savvy company who have the industry pretty well figured out - they know all too well that new attractions mean new attendance. A $56 million water park and at least $6 million every year in capital expenditure is hardly what I'd call greedy.

All buildings are finished, so in terms of infrastructure, what you see is what you get. The two toilet blocks are the two matching white buildings. I'm most surprised that there's not one directly as you walk in the door as with every other water park I've been to.
Wouldnt there be ones in the curved building by the entrance? Just on that, there dont seem to be changerooms close to where the cross park gate is (near flowrider) Thats a fair hike just to get changed (unless people can somehow use the flowrider changerooms)
In regards to the spaciousness, remember that it's a park which is designed to have several thousand guests every day. For every person that's queuing or on a slide, there will be another person who wants to lounge in the sun or shade on a deck chair.
I know what you mean, but it seems a bit disproportionate. While this whole park is good, I think it was a bit of an error not to open a lazy river with the park as that is actually an interesting way to relax (as opposed to just sitting on a deck chair). When I have spoken to people about WnW it seems a lot of people found calypso beach to be their favourite attraction purely for that reason. In fact WWW seems to be lacking any real light attraction (apart from the wavepool when its not running) By not having one they have also missed out on a very high capacity attraction and a good transport method. Hopefully in some unseen way they have provided for one in the park, and have plans to put one in soonish. Edited by Gazza

Yeah you're right, I missed the one at the entrance. I'd say that three is an adequate number of changerooms for such a small park. At no point around the park are you more than about 100m from the nearest toilets, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for guests. I definitely agree that the lack of a Lazy River may be detrimental to the park. Here they could have designed the entire park around one which circumnavigated the park. They're such an invaluable atrraction to have in terms of their ability to take a huge number of people away from the other rides. I'm not so much a fan of the way Wet'n'Wild

I think its more getting the services/paths/major buildings initially set up and to where they need to be that costs the most. Once there is power, water, gas and what ever else they need to run any attraction, I honestly dont think the actual attraction costs that much to design/construct. It is very expensive to get power anywhere under ground, and the same goes for water and gas as well....I would say a lazy river would cost no more than $3-4 million to add in the future now that the park should have most services that it needs to run an attraction like this, which in the scemem of things really isnt that much outlay for a very high capasity attraction like a lazy river. Maybe we will see one next season?

I think a lazy river is definitely on the cards for the very near future. My guess is that they had to be very careful what they spent their money on as they would have wanted to keep the initial construction costs as low as possible while still building a good park. Logically they would have wanted to add a number of top notch attractions that offer something different to Wet 'n' Wild's line up. While a lazy river is a great attraction and would certainly help with capacity, I don't see it as a major drawcard attraction. The fact that WnW already has a large lazy river makes this even more the case. For their money they would have wanted as many drawcard attractions as possible, which I think they've got. I am sure once the park is open and has been running for a while and is drawing in large attendance levels, they will then look at adding more higher capacity attractions such as a river

interesting to note, reading that MLE EOFY report that interstate attendance to dreamworld has increased sizeably, and it now almost equals the QLD attendance, as opposed to last year when there was a substantial difference... a bit of a shame that the international tourism market has dropped off a bit. One would think with all the terror going on out there that we would be a plum destination at present, with the lack of any real terrorist threat at this time... Looking at the trend graphic over the last 7 years, the international market seems to be shrinking for DW. anybody got figures on what WVTP's international draw is? <edit:> Although now that I think on it, maybe everyone is afraid of international travel, hence the domestic market increase...? Its nice to see the nick area of the water park will have a tipping bucket. Any waterpark would benefit from this type of attraction. Its also a great way to cool off without having to get in a pool.... eg: when you've just eaten but can't swim yet...

Edited by AlexB

If you want the pics so bad gogoboy why not go there yourself? otherwise just sit back and wait until Tony and other's have the time..it's not like you are paying them to go to the park..they are doing this out of thier own free time. Yes Tony keeps saying he'll post them but as if you've never said you'll do something and kept putting it off in your life..thing's come up and these are only pics of a waterpark being built..the world will not end if he doesn't provide the pics.

Latest update is on Ozcoaster. You can see that the Nick area has really come along with most of the slides and theming elements starting to go up. The Octo Racer is looking good and the wooden poles at the entry area finally make sense. Hopefully the rain the Gold Coast has had lately will ease up a bit as I have heard it is making construction difficult. They won't want much more or else there could be problems