What is with Batwing's Themeing? - You decide

Coaster Boy 6

Batwings Themeing: Yes or No?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Has Batwing been treated with enough themeing?

• Yes, there is enough themeing
    • No, there is not enough themeing.
    • It's the new ride that counts.(At least we have another Australian first).

You can suggest all you want but it's not going to stop anyone from sharing their opinion. How many times do I have to repeat this to some of you - theme park DISCUSSION forum. You can't call it complaining - it's constructive criticism. We are backing everything up with ideas and suggestions for how it could have been done better. Would you really prefer it if Gazza hadn't shared any of his brilliant theming ideas (and design) and instead just made a generic remark about how great the ride is? Why would you want to deny this excellent discussion? How interesting do you think the forums would be if we all just said "yeah this ride's awesome! Can't wait to get up there and ride it!". I know the 12 year old fan boys would like that but it's not going to happen. I for one am going to continue to point out the pros and cons of every new development

Edited by GoGoBoy

Although, as much as you are discussing, at the same time you are complaining. You can't deny that. Don't call it "constructive criticism" - construction has finished. Complain all you like. They won't care, nothing is going to change. Move on. I'm sure when you're on the ride you won't be critcising it.

opinion—A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).
If anyone is wanting to convince Gazza, GoGoBoy, or myself that Movie World has hit the mark with this attraction, you're not going to win us over with silly statements like "no one cares" or "it's an Australian first". To me, from the photographs I've seen, there appears to be little or NO creativity put into the theming. If I'm not mistaken, the Batman vehicle is the same one that has been sitting outside the Batman Adventure Ride for decades. It's boring and looks very out of place beside the Batwing tower. Who said you can't theme a thrill ride effectively? The Claw is a perfect example of an attraction that has brilliant—but basic—theming. The Maliboomer at DCA is themed a million times better than Batwing. Answers.com defines theming as:
A subject of artistic representation.
The Maliboomer, as anyone who has visited DCA knows, is meant to be one of those old school traveling amusement test-your-strength games. The tower theming, queue theming, audio effects, and adjacent structures all make this work brilliantly. People who don't like Paradise Pier at DCA are more than likely questioning the effectiveness (or "goodness") of the theme itself, not whether or not that area of the park has reached that theme. Not being a massive Batman fan myself, I'm assuming the Batwing Spaceshot is trying to simulate some kind of Batman-related transporter. The Batwing? It certainly doesn't look like a top-secret launch location like what would be expected in the movies. Quite possibly the worst part of it all is that white beach umbrella. I'll wait until I actually ride the attraction before I say whether or not I think it's up to Movie World's usual standards. Edited by Adam

Don't call it "constructive criticism" - construction has finished.
<Bangs head against wall> Wikipedia defintion of constructive criticism:
Constructive criticism (often shortened to 'CC' or 'concrit') is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one. In collaborative work, this kind of criticism is often a valuable tool in raising and maintaining performance standards.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_criticism Now, i just wanted to clarify something, there is no doubt that the ride is nicley "presented", but its not really themed. Its got that powder coated fencing around the outside, some flowers and NZ flax and textured paving. This stuff looks good, but its not much different from what a lot of newer houses have in their front yard (if i were to go out with a camera now and do a quick tour of the neighborhood i could find all these things several times). Yes, they did put those two vehicles out the front, but the park had them already and they are nothing we havent seen before, yes they too look good, but again they dont relate to this idea we were expecting of it being some sort of top secret launch location. Yes the site is small, but then you make the scenery smaller too.

Edited by Gazza

If anyone is wanting to convince Gazza, GoGoBoy, or myself that Movie World has hit the mark with this attraction, you're not going to win us over with silly statements like "no one cares" or "it's an Australian first".
Well the simple fact is that nobody important does care. You can criticise it all you want but it's not like they are going to rush out tomorrow and "fix" whatever you say is wrong with it. It's a ride, not a statement.
To me, from the photographs I've seen, there appears to be little or NO creativity gone into the theming. If I'm not mistaken, the Batman vehicle is the same one that has been sitting outside the Batman Adventure Ride for decades. It's boring and looks very out of place beside the Batwing tower.
Well in actual fact, the vehicles are there to match with the Batwing, there is a ship, a car, and a jet thing. I think it's a great idea. Would you rather them not be there? Oh and by the way, How is this going to change the ride? It's not detrimental is it?
Who said you can't theme a thrill ride effectively? The Claw is a perfect example of an attraction that has brilliant—but basic—theming.
If you haven't noticed, the Claw is a different type of ride. It's also a different budget. The Claw is basically a hotted up pendulum.
The Maliboomer, as anyone would've visited DCA knows, is meant to be one of those old school traveling amusement test-your-strength games. The tower theming, queue theming, audio effects, and adjacent structures all make this work brilliantly. People who don't like Paradise Pier at DCA are more than likely questioning the effectiveness (or "goodness") of the theme itself, not whether or not that area of the park has reached that theme.
There is a reason the Maliboomer is shoved in between California Screamin'. And to be honest, when I first arrived at Disneyland I had no idea what the hell that thing was. I thought it was a spaceship of some sort with the numbers on the tower representing how high you got. Wait? Maliboomer? That doesn't make sense! *hates on*. However I do agree that Paradise Pier is excellently themed to homage California. And there is no "old school traveling amusement test-your-strength games" at Santa Monica Pier which is what it's supposed to represent.
Not being a massive Batman fan myself, I'm assuming the Batwing Spaceshot is trying to simulate some kind of Batman-related transporter. The Batwing? It certainly doesn't look like a top-secret launch location like what would be expected in the movies. Quite possibly the worst part of it all is that white beach umbrella.
If you aren't a massive batman fan, why do you even care if it's not a top secret launch location? I thought it had already been defined that the ride experience is better if you can see people's faces before the launch. Also, you try fitting a "top secret launch location" in a 10m x 10m spot. Batwing's place is SMALL.
I'll wait until I actually ride the attraction before I say whether or not I think it's up to Movie World's usual standards.
Movie World's standards? So now it has to compete with the last ride it built? Oh god. Where will it end up? Maybe the Gold Coast can expect it's own Hollywood replica soon. HAPPY CHRISTMAS. Oh by the way, I was joking - Construction... You know. The part when they actually build the ride. PUN INTENDED. Edited by myk

Hey, I can totally understand where GoGoboy, Gazza & Co. are coming from, and they are making some very valid points. To be honest, I'm kinda coming around to what they're saying, but I still don't have a problem with the way the ride has been themed. It's well presented, has gardens, the control room looks decent enough, and there are little spikes here and there, the various movie props, and it all works well together. True there could be more of a "Backdrop" to the ride, and Gazza's sketch would look pretty cool if actually built, but like I said, it looks fine as is to me. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but that's the same with every ride though. I mean Scooby could have a proper ceiling, Wild West could have the back of the mountain done, Sherek's preshow could make sense, Superman could have a decent dark ride element. So sure, you can make it better, but it fine and 'works' as is (with the possible exception of the side of Batman Adventure).

You can suggest all you want but it's not going to stop anyone from sharing their opinion. How many times do I have to repeat this to some of you - theme park DISCUSSION forum. You can't call it complaining - it's constructive criticism. We are backing everything up with ideas and suggestions for how it could have been done better. Would you really prefer it if Gazza hadn't shared any of his brilliant theming ideas (and design) and instead just made a generic remark about how great the ride is? [Why would you want to deny this excellent discussion? How interesting do you think the forums would be if we all just said "yeah this ride's awesome! Can't wait to get up there and ride it!". I know the 12 year old fan boys would like that but it's not going to happen. I for one am going to continue to point out the pros and cons of every new development
What's wrong with that?

What's wrong with that?
Its sort of bland discussion. Any old monkey could tap out that sort of response. But it is a lot more interesting and rewarding when we have a detailed and meaningful discussion. Now Joz, I can see exactly what you are saying too, as every ride at MW could be improved in one way or another, but i think the difference is these rides have pretty much got it right and have a high overall standard. But in this case there is a definite step down from what we have come to expect. And yes, i agree about the side of Batman Adventure, there is no excuse for leaving it like that. Also, you cant really say they have been that creative. I think just sitting the bat vehicles out the front was the "obvious" answer if you get what i mean. Compare to something like SE where they have done unexpected things like the superman on the back of the train and the two cars crashed from above in the dark ride part.
If you haven't noticed, the Claw is a different type of ride. It's also a different budget. The Claw is basically a hotted up pendulum.
Yes, but you can take a similar approach with the theming, Notice how the claw has nothing in the middle (since the ride is in the way) but it has everything around the outside. BWSS is in the same situation so if they can do claw that well they can do this that well. Also claw cost $6mil, and this reportedly (by another member) cost $5-6 mil so its a similar budget.
If you aren't a massive batman fan, why do you even care if it's not a top secret launch location? I thought it had already been defined that the ride experience is better if you can see people's faces before the launch. Also, you try fitting a "top secret launch location" in a 10m x 10m spot. Batwing's place is SMALL.
I dont really watch westerns, i havent seen lethal weapon, i saw scooby doo once, i havent seen any superman films, i might have seen a batman film at one point but i cant remember what happened, but the fact is i know enough about these things to appreciate what MW has done or could do. Also, why do people keep bringing this up about people being able to watch on, when i sort of sketched an idea that would still retain the same views, but had better theming. Also 10*10m is small, but there is spare space around the back, and a lot of my suggestions are simply changes to the way they did things. Its not the space you have, its the way you use it.
Movie World's standards? So now it has to compete with the last ride it built?
Well, yes. With any company you expect them to get better as time goes on and not go backwards. Why is the XBOX360 better than the XBOX? Why did Holden make so many improvements to the VZ when they brought out the VE this year? why is McDonalds bringing out all these "premium" food choices instead of the same old burgers? Why are the banks now looking closely at the way their service is? You make it sound as if MW shouldnt always be striving for the best.
Oh by the way, I was joking - Construction... You know. The part when they actually build the ride. PUN INTENDED.
LOL, dont backpaddle. You were trying to use it to support what you were saying in what was a serious post. Edited by Gazza

I'm the most important person in the world to Movie World. I'm a customer. If you're asking for my opinion in relation to those Batman vehicles, I'd rather them be replaced with better (original) props. I do not like them. They're old and tacky. I like the fact that you're trivialising my statement regarding the standard of the park. I do not believe it to be a humorous —or outlandish—suggestion that the park should strive to improve, or at least maintain, its reputation from new attraction to new attraction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that its pretty much confirmed and non secret we are getting a halfpipe coaster I thought it was interesting revisiting this topic, In paticular to this members quote:

Why are you people still going on about not having enough themeing? Yes Movie World should of put a little more effort in themeing the ride but who cares. We have another Australian first....that's all that matters right?
The results in the Poll also reflect this line of thought. Now, just looking back over the past few years I am starting to think about the sorts of rides we have; we've got both a normal freefall ride, and a spaceshot (one of them the worlds tallest), we have themed dark rides like SDSC and themed outdoor rides like WWF, we have an intamin rapids ride, and a couple of flumes too, we have all the major flat rides, from gyro swings to topspin style rides like WO, and our carnival scene covers us for things like topscans and boosters, we still have one of the worlds tallest and fastest rides (even if it is a bit dated, but it was groundbreaking when it opened). We've got all sorts of interesting cinema type attractions, from Imax to shrek 3D, we're just like everyone else in having an SLC, we have one of the hottest rides of today, an Accelerator with a second one on the way, a halfpipe is coming, down in Vic a 120m observation wheel is going up, and adelaide has a single arm version in glenelg. In the water park scene we have it all, from one of the worlds biggest waterparks, and all the modern proslides (tornado, bowl, rocket, octopus) I guess the point im getting at is that our situation in terms of rides isn't as dire as people make it out to be, and on the world scale our lineup is quite good in both relative and absolute terms, and in some cases we have some stuff that other theme parky countries dont have. I'd even go so far as to say that the only major stuff Australa lacks is a hyper coaster, a B&M and a modern woodie, and even then things such as a B&M arent that common (the Netherlands or France have no B&Ms for example) My question is, are we really still in a situation where we have to "accept what we are given" and "be thankful Australia has some new rides"? I mean we are pretty much right so is it unreasonable to expect bonuses such as good theming etc on newer rides? That is probably why a few people arent convinced when people say "its a new ride, that all that matters", I mean I think our theme park industry is sufficiently mature that our worries can move beyond getting the rides in the first place, to wether they are of a high standard etc. I suppose I feel that the fact we are getting a ride isn't important, nor do I see it as good because "Its Australia's first/only _____" I feel that other aspects of the ride are more important. Edited by Gazza

OK time to post my point of view... this has got to be one of the most themed Space Shots around, right? IMO Doctor Doom's doesn't count for much because at the end of the day it's still an outside, tower with boring load area, just with a pretty poorly themed building. I think the fog could be better if it was actual fog as opposed to water vapour, but that's probably the only thing I'd change theming wise. The cladding is great - makes a welcome change from the standard canvas or plastic tied to the frame, the signage and linking with the rest of the Batwing area is well thought out, the sound effects are on par, if not better that the ones that go with the DCA towers, and the tower looks cool with its different paint job. At the end of the day, despite the fact that's its got airtime, brings on a huge adrenalin rush and is certainly a ride worthy of a 'serious thrill' title for marketing, it lasts a few seconds. Adding stupid amounts of extra theming is really only going to enhance the queueing experience, not the ride experience. It's a short thrill ride that's designed to do nothing more than make your head spin for a few minutes. I really think it fits well within the park - it doesn't try to be another massive attraction - and you can see that in the way it opened with much less fanfare than SE did last year. It's almost time to start considering our ride additions in the same way that many people do for Disneyland - you have 'fast pass' style attractions like Indy, Splash Mountain, etc that are show piece rides. At Movie World - these are WWF, SDSC, LW, SDSC... Then you have the B-list rides - at Disneyland these are the Teacups, the Fantasyland rides, etc. At Movie World - these are Batwing, Road-Runner.... I'm going to suggest that we're not seeing Movie World 'slacking off' as such but rather looking to grow the park by adding more attractions that are just rides - good thrills or experiences, nothing more. There's NO themepark anywhere that is full of perfectly themed, massive ten minute ride experiences with awe-inspiring queuelines. All the Disney parks have attractions that are just walk on, walk off rides. It's impossible to have a park that's full of A-List attractions... so don't attack MW for spending slightly less. If anything, I think it's an indication of their desire to grow and follow what other parks are doing. Of course it's going to be marketed as an Australian first - the whole point of marketing a product is to capitalise on any new or unique parts. And as for me... I'd rather see a good, new attraction every year than waiting 4 or 5 yrs between drinks for major attractions. My 2 cents, richard