Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Sorry, but along with pointless posts, that is one of my pet peeves. When people have updates they will post them. Don't pester people, they don't need reminding. The whole point of this topic is for discussion of the construction of the coaster, and if you haven't noticed people such as Churros, Richard etc have been posting up pictures when they have them avaliable, its not as if they would think "oh look, the coaster is testing, but I wont tell anyone" Obviously if people haven't posted anything, then there isn't anything worth posting. Edit: You can pretty much answer your own question anyway, look at the posts in this topic, and the main page of R-C, if you can see with your eyes pictures you haven't seen before then you are looking at a new update.

Edited by Gazza

Yeah when i saw the launch track initially I had a feeling it would be friction launch based on the fact it seemed to have harnesses for the friction wheel motors. I guess they are doing this because it's a more reliable and probably significantly cheaper launch mechanism than hydraulic or LIM or LSM. Also the ride doesn't need as much torque or speed as to require a hydraulic launch and the carriages might be a little lighter due to less passengers and shorter trains

I'm sorry, but they stick out like a sore thumb :lol: I guess they could build something around it. I would like to see them build a full on stand type thing along that side. From the looks of some of the structures it might be on the cards. They definately have to do something to cover those things up.

Haha that's crazy, I have no idea what advantages a tyre launch has on any other system, it's a very inefficient way of doing things IMO, not to mention the wear and tear on the tyres. I wouldn't mind having them visible as it would be funny watching them labour to launch each train. Has much been done theming wise?

Not much on themeing just yet. They are starting the structures, but the day I went it was raining, so the weather might put them a little behind. It would have been a good idea for them to install those water tanks prior to the rain though and re-route the water through Mr Beatie's highway. I think the launch could work quite well, but I just think they look horendus. And as I said, when I saw them it was raining, and I really wasn't looking for them, they just jumped out at me! Something that I forgot to mention was that I was watching the 250cc's the other night and I was impressed with the onboard cam how it showed the high speed turns, etc. I think if the ride captures that experience it could really be a stunner. Give it around a month now though. Also, they have this deal to get into Dreamworld for a cheaper price until the 22nd of September, so I think the Mick Doonan Tyreshot will be opening some time after that.

Are you serious??? A tyre launch? What happened to the LIMS/magnets/hydraulics/whatever? How cheap can Dreamworld get! What next? And as Gazza mentioned there will be so much friction! Most new products these days are designed to minimise this sort of friction due to the wearing out of parts and ongoing maintenance etc. I wouldn't think the tyres would be able to get the train up to an acceptable speed either. Oh well I will say it's interesting although I think we need to face the facts that this is going to be a rather ugly coaster - even when the 'theming' is finished

Are you serious??? A tyre launch? What happened to the LIMS/magnets/hydraulics/whatever? How cheap can Dreamworld get! What next? Sounds like some of you people on this list need to stop and take a breath and think about it. Sure a tyre launch is not what we were hoping for and i am a little disapointed, BUT i also drive a Nissan Gti-r not an BMW M5, i have a 3 bedroom home 10 km from the city not an 7 bedroom joint by the beach.. reason being i cannot afford everything that i want. I'm sure dreamworld would love a $50 mill coaster to be built but clearly they cannot afford one. I would rather this " cheap " coaster than for Dreamworld to spend 50 mill on a 0-200Km in 5 sec coaster then 6 months later close there doors because the place has gone broke! Think about it.. what car do you drive?..... i bet it's not a 911 turbo but if you had the money it would be. Cheers, gauge

Lamborghini for me hehe. I think they went friction launch because of reliablity issues with electromagnetic launches and more than likely it doesn't require the horsepower of a hydraulic launch. it'd be nearly impossible to have a missfire on a friction launch system. Also it's installation would be less complicated and therefore cheaper.

BMW 5 series for me. But I had always thought that tyre launches were a more expensive way of doing things, there is only one ride out there that uses it, and the only reason it was built was because B&M were forced into it. I thought that alone would sort of show that there were better way of doing things. One idea I have been wondering about is whether the tyres would be somehow linked by a cable, which would be wound by a hydraulic motor.

I think they went friction launch because of reliablity issues with electromagnetic launches
That doesn't really make sense to me though, there are more than 30 coasters operating with magnetic launches, I don't think it would have fallen into such wide use if it were having major issues.

^I think in more modern times they have really refined the use of them. It kind of seems like a technological step backward using the tyre method of launch. How does it rate in terms of smoothness, acceleration and noise? PS - I'll take an M3 Coupe, but on my budget I may be looking at a Commodore SS-V :lol: sorry to prove his point.

BMW 5 series for me.
- nice it's not that electromatic launches "break down" a lot, it's just that they can lose synch with the train causing a missfire where the push pull polarity effect of the electromagnets are not inline with the position of the train causing either dampened accelleration no accelleration or slowing meaning ideal or required launch speed is not reached. This technically could never happen on a friction launch as long as the motors were all operating correctly. Although I would have much prefered a hydraulic launch as it produces so much torque and quick launch. Edited by saberon

Yeah, but I mean CP opted to use LSM on Maverick so it cant be all bad. All launch systems have some way to mis-launch. I think though now, we can expect a fairly steady launch, it wouldn't be possible to do something like that wonderful burst of acceleration on SE simply because the wheels wouldn't grip.

How does it rate in terms of smoothness, acceleration and noise?
I looked at a few youtube vids, it didn't seem to be that loud, though it would be best to ask someone like Tony, Richo or Rabid who have ridden on the Incredible Hulk Coaster. Though thinking logically all it is is wheels pushing on a surface, it wouldn't be much louder than say the wheels of a truck on a road. Acceleration wise, Hulk reaches 64 km/h in 2 secs.

I really don't know why they didn't go hydraulic or LSM. All i can think is the hydraulic's cost of installation and LSMs power bill. I would have prefered a lower power hydraulic launch maybe 10kbhp. But we'll just have to see how quick the friction motors are.Oh and regarding noise, they wouldn't be much louder than what the superman escape is while travelling through the tunnel, relatively quiet whurring noise.

2 things... so the tires are definitely being used as a launch system and not a breaking one? And I guess if they are being used to launch the ride it could then operate in wet conditions unlike the TOT... Even so.. they seem rather archaic... But I guess if the ride experience blows you away.. you don't really care how you start or stop! TMB

- tyres for wet weather use will not work..... The train will loose traction. From my days at AWL, friction rides were the first to go down when there was any sort of wet weather - Bounty's and Wizard's Fury prime examples. what you will find is the train will 'launch' but not at full power - resulting in the train stopping mid track. Keep in mind that there is no gravity to propel this coaster - compared to a traditional coaster.. Having said all that - The ends justifies the means. It could use big rubber bands for all I care, as long as the ride itself is a unique experience. D

I thought the reason TOT shuts was simply because 160km/h in the rain hurts like hell.

2 things... so the tires are definitely being used as a launch system and not a breaking one?
Nah, the brakes are at the end of the ride.
what you will find is the train will 'launch' but not at full power - resulting in the train stopping mid track. Keep in mind that there is no gravity to propel this coaster - compared to a traditional coaster..
Thing is though the launch leads straight to the highest point of the ride. I would imagine even if it stopped up on that high point it could still crawl through the rest of the circuit by gravity.

The main beam under the train which the tyres will contact with could be coated in the grip epoxy stuff although it takes a toll on the tyres and needs reapplication every now and then. That works well when wet. Or they could install kicker wheels around the circuit which automatically raise up only when the train hasn't reached a pre-determined speed.

I thought the reason TOT shuts was simply because 160km/h in the rain hurts like hell.
yeah thats pretty right they don't operate it because rain hurts at that speed. Also the rain can effect the track speed so after rain they take a rubber brush and walk along the track pushing the water off.

That is a part of it, but usually the process of getting the water off the track takes somewhere between 15 to 20 minutes, so if they are halfway through it and a drizzle comes by, it will take another 15 to 20 minutes. So on overcast days you have a small chance of it working for very long if it starts to rain. Superman Escape is different, it stops operating while it is raining, but as soon as it stops it is good to go.
Thing is though the launch leads straight to the highest point of the ride. I would imagine even if it stopped up on that high point it could still crawl through the rest of the circuit by gravity.
I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but the final 'hill' prior to the break run is only slightly lower than the initial hill. Taking into account the length of track and everything else, if it only just 'crawls' over the first hill it will not have built enough potential energy to complete the run. In retrospect though, it only has to reach a height of 7 metres, which is very low, so there should be a fair bit of leaway with regards to how slow it can launch. I just hope this doesn't become an excuse for Dreamworld to launch it slower than it is suppose to somewhere down the track. You can see the final and first hill in Richard's pic here: http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.p...88&image=21