Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How good is it starting to look now! I mean, visually it is nothing special, but the mechanics, etc. There is only one thing I am still not sure about. Now remember, I'm no engineer or anything, but I am not convinced that if it just crawls over that first hill its gonna make it all the way through. That last hill looks like it is no more than a metre lower than the highest point. Again, I might be wrong. It sounds like that have developed a pretty functional beast though - engineering wise.

I went by Dreamworld today, didn't grab any pictures because anything I could get has already been captured so well thanks to Richard, Saberon and a few others. Cheers for that. The only things I noticed was that the construction fence now surrounds the old Paddlesteamer queue area. The entry to the ride and the ride sign will be located adjacent to this queue are. This could suggest that they will use this as an extension for the Motocoaster, or even just get rid of it. You would have to say though that it might have made more sense to remove it earlier if this is the case. You can also see inside the exit shop. It looks really nice in there. It is packed with motorsport merchandise as could be expected. The good news though is that the shop almost looks ready to go, so in spite of the delays, the coaster should not be too far off opening.

Just incase anyone is interested, Marketing for the MDMC has started, with a full page advertisment in my copy of Open Road Magazine. Well, ok, it wasn't in the magazine, it was in a liftout of the magazine, but still, it is sort of the same. Also, the MDMC & the Big 6 Thrill Rides now have a mention on the Dreamworld Website.

Edited by T-bone

Just incase anyone is interested, Marketing for the MDMC has started, with a full page advertisment in my copy of Open Road Magazine. Well, ok, it wasn't in the magazine, it was in a liftout of the magazine, but still, it is sort of the same. Also, the MDMC & the Big 6 Thrill Rides now have a mention on the Dreamworld Website.
Thanks for the heads up. They must have updated it this morning as it wasn't there last night. I'm guessing it'll open next week (Thursday) Edited by dreamworld_rulz

Seems like a bit of an arbitrary date if you ask me.
I should have asked you. I hate when people make up things just to be seen. It has just come to me through a dream that the mine cart will reopen on Saturday and it will run the course backwards due to the fact that the maintenance crew could not get it right.

Thanks for the heads up. They must have updated it this morning as it wasn't there last night. I'm guessing it'll open next week (Thursday)
I should have asked you. I hate when people make up things just to be seen. It has just come to me through a dream that the mine cart will reopen on Saturday and it will run the course backwards due to the fact that the maintenance crew could not get it right.
For your information i said "I'm guessing." I didn't say "It'll open on that date." In regards to make things up just to be seen. If i was making it up i would have said "I'll be open on Thursday, Not I guess it'll open on Thursday. It looks like to me that your the one that's looking to be seen. EDIT : I chose Thursday because that's when new rides usually open. Edited by dreamworld_rulz

EDIT : I chose Thursday because that's when new rides usually open.
Well, I looked through windows calendar and compared with the dates given on the R-C database, with DWs last few things the days have been: WWW - Friday Flowrider - Saturday Dorothy's Rosy Teacup Ride - Saturday Big Red Car - Saturday The Claw - Saturday So bleh. Ill say it will open when full speed testing is finished (what's the go with that anyway?) Edited by Gazza

Hey guys this has been bugging me. In this photo (source Richard, thank you kindly) post-1033-1190110337.jpg You can see at the end of the launch section of track there are 2 yellow steel harnesses which is the point where the hydraulic friction wheel motor and the track physically connect. It appears that the track is complete yet there are 2 spare unused harnesses. Does anybody know why? or have any theories as to why there aren't motors attached to those harnesses?

Brackets, not harnesses.... Anyway, I think they might have been there as a 'just in case' measure, for example if the launch system was unable to cope with the load. It is not particularly uncommon for coasters to have provisions for future changes. The best example that springs to mind is the block brake brackets that were built into cyclone: http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.p...d=1&image=9 Another example is those infamous "trim brakes" on B&Ms, i had trouble finding a pic of a vacant spot where they hadn't been installed , but often the track spine has holes to allow the attachement of these brakes later on in the coasters life. http://www.rcdb.com/m/ig735.htm?picture=22 And LOL, did you re-upload the image, in the galleries there is a thing you can click called "link to image", its better than wasting bandwidth.