The Off Topic Topic

45 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

I've heard that when the ride is smooth the old B&M restraints are a lot better because they're not as restrictive.

Perhaps. I just feel like I am the wrong height for them, so they actually feel really restrictive. But in terms of the old restraints, if they are loose, I guess it does give you that floating/free feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, 10, dies in accident on world’s biggest water slide

index&t_product=CourierMail&td_noGallery
AFP, AP and staff writers, News Corp Australia Network
37 minutes ago
index&t_product=CourierMail&td_noGallery

WARNING: Story contains graphic content that may upset some readers

THE world’s tallest water slide has claimed the life of a 10-year-old boy, prompting US officials to shut down the 17-storey ride and open an investigation.

And now witnesses have described the horrific moment Caleb Schwab, the son of a Kansas state legislator, was ‘decapitated’ as he was flung from the ride known as the Verruckt.

Esteban Castaneda, who was at the Kansas City waterpark said he heard loud booms coming from the ride before he saw a body wash down the slide after a raft reported ABC7.

Castaneda said a lifeguard was trying to keep the crowd back and as he tried to help the lifeguard told him there was nothing he could do — that’s when he realised the boy appeared to have been decapitated.

The front seat of the raft was empty, suggesting that is where Schwab was sitting, and the two other women who were also on the ride suffered facial injuries. One of them reportedly described it as the “worst day of her life”.

55d145bdda87e09eae9c05f5905392c7?width=6Caleb Thomas Schwab (left) pictured with his father Scott Schwab, a Kansas state politician from Olathe. Picture: David Strickland/David Strickland via AP

Castaneda’s wife Leslie said that she had seen the blood-streaked ride shortly after the gruesome incident along with the distraught family of Schwab reported the Kansas City Star.

“I saw his (Schwab’s) brother. He was screaming,” she said.

“I’m really having a tough time with it. I really am.”

She said the brother — who had witnessed Schwab die — told a theme-park worker, ‘I just saw my little brother die because of one of your attractions’.

“The boy looked skinny. He shouldn’t have been on that ride,” she said.

The first hand accounts of what happened on the day come as it was revealed by the Kansas City Star that the slide had not been inspected by the state since it opened two years ago.

By law, responsibility of the slide’s safety rests with the park owners who said all rides are inspected daily before opening.

The family have since released a statement.

“Since the day he was born, he brought abundant joy to our family and all those who he came into contact with,” his family said in a statement.

“As we try to mend our home with him no longer with us, we are comforted knowing he believed in his Saviour, Jesus, and they are forever together now. We will see him another day.”

The park has given no specific details on what happened to Schwab except to say the slide was closed after his death. A police spokesman said investigators were treating the death as a “civil matter” rather than a criminal incident.

1019c756d44884228a77e31a20cd7268?width=6The Verruckt at Schlitterbahn Waterpark in Kansas City is billed as the world’s largest, according to officials. Picture: Charlie Riedel/AP

A park website says two to three people are typically strapped to a raft and then sent down a “jaw-dropping” 51.4 metres.

They are then “blasted back up a second massive hill and then sent down yet another gut wrenching 15-metre drop for the ultimate in water slide thrills.” Riders are supposed to be at least 137cm tall.

“Given that safety is our first priority, we have closed the Kansas City park today and Monday and have closed the ride pending a full investigation,” the park said in a statement.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family during this difficult time.”

The Kansas City Star said the park was teeming with children of legislators and their parents enjoying free passes when the tragedy occurred.

The Verruckt, which means “insane” in German, opened in July 2014 and was certified as the world’s tallest water slide by Guinness World Records.

The slide’s opening was delayed a few times, though the operators did not provide reasons for the delays. Two media sneak preview days in 2014 were cancelled because of problems with a conveyor system that hauls 45kg rafts to the top of the slide.

Prosapio said in 2014 that park officials would not hesitate to delay operation again for however long it takes to make sure the slide is safe.

b20d8d7fd1c84b4bd73f1ae7dd02d00f?width=6Schlitterbahn's Verruckt waterside is the tallest in the world. Picture: Jill Toyoshiba/The Kansas City Star via AP, File

In a news article linked to the news release announcing a 2014 delay, Schlitterbahn co-owner Jeff Henry told USA Today that he and senior designer John Schooley had based their calculations when designing the slide on roller coasters, but that didn’t translate well to a water slide like Verruckt.

In early tests, rafts carrying sandbags flew off the slide, prompting engineers to tear down half of the ride and reconfigure some angles at a cost of $US1 million, Henry said.

A promotional video for a show about building the slide includes footage of two men riding a raft down a half-size test model and going slightly airborne as it crests the top of the first big hill.

absolutely tragic... 

Has anyone here ridden the slide?

Ride looks like fun except for all the stairs to get to it. Hardly seems worth the effort for a shotmrt ride. Needs a lift. 

re what happened, it's sad to hear a family or anyone for that matter has had this happen. Will be interesting to see what happened. At a guess I'd say some of that netting maybe fell down and hooked his head or they got airborne and hit the top of it. 

Will be a massive lawsuit and rightly so. 

As much as I'd buy all the Squirtles at DW right now, that Verruckt accident is really fucking horrifying. A kid losing his head is an awful image to think of, I wonder if the people who saw this kid die will need to get counselling, since that will probably haunt them for the remainder of their lives. Very, very sad that this poor kid had to die in such a terrible way.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

1 hour ago, Theme Park Ninja said:

the question I'm asking is why was a 10 year old allowed on slide for 14+

Ride Requirements:

2-3 riders per raft with a combined weight between 400 and 550 pounds.
Riders will have to be at least 54" tall.

There's nothing to say you have to be 14+ only that you have to be over 137cm (approx) 

16 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Age restrictions (once kids have hit teen/preteen age) are pretty useless given the scope of differences in height by age... 

My 4yo son is taller than most of the 6yo kids who are at after school care at his kindy...  Currently 109cm tall when the average height for a 4yo is approx 101cm...  The whole combined must be X tall and be able to X as required is the best way to try and ensure safety...  Age is never a completely good indicator of height or cognitive ability especially in younger children...

On the subject of videos, I just watched this one. This guy is totally misinformed, some of the stuff he says is correct, but most of it isn't. For example, he mentions the Disco Dancer accident that happened back in May and says the ride was similar to a Round Up. He also calls an Enterprise a Ferris Wheel. Check it out for yourself if your interested.

Also, excuse the constant swearing...

So I went to the EKKA last night and the prerecorded audio out front he spinning wild mouse coaster kept saying: "rated best roller coaster by Roller Coaster Magazine" - or something along those lines.

Was tempted to ask the ride operators what the hell they're talking about, but knew they wouldn't know/care. lol

5 minutes ago, ash.1111 said:

So I went to the EKKA last night and the prerecorded audio out front he spinning wild mouse coaster kept saying: "rated best roller coaster by Roller Coaster Magazine" - or something along those lines.

Was tempted to ask the ride operators what the hell they're talking about, but knew they wouldn't know/care. lol

"Rated the world's best roller coaster by this years Rollercoaster magazine"

Now, so it turns out, Rollercoaster! magazine actually exists!

It just happens to be a quarterly thing brought out by American Coaster Enthusiasts.

We'll also ignore the log flume claiming to be the best rollercoaster at the show too. 

1 minute ago, reanimated35 said:

"Rated the world's best roller coaster by this years Rollercoaster magazine"

Now, so it turns out, Rollercoaster! magazine actually exists!

It just happens to be a quarterly thing brought out by American Coaster Enthusiasts.

We'll also ignore the log flume claiming to be the best rollercoaster at the show too. 

Well ACE is the place that would be LEAST likely to rate it #1. Unless there's a traveling coaster section? But even then...

7 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Maybe they meant 'best rollercoaster at the EKKA"? 

"Rated best ride at show" - think I heard that too, lol.

• rappa locked this topic