Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

Here's a POV at the time of that little drop

(3:40) All it ends up doing is make the water wash over the front of the boat into your lap...Dunno what the reason for it is.
Is it where the boat reconnects to the track? Could be... In which case it might need a hard push into place. Or a drop to disguise the bump! Being before the last lift, it could also be so it connects well with the conveyor... Or it could just be to ensure All the riders GET WET!!! We all know of a certain rapids wet ride where not all riders are ensured of being drenched, so this could be their design solution to that common wet-ride issue, like the Dino that sprays riders on the Jurassic Park rides.... Edit: Watching it again, It's obviously all three reasons! Edited by colliric_855

Being before the last lift, it could also be so it connects well with the conveyor...

No, because you are floating on water up to the last lift.

Is it where the boat reconnects to the track? Could be... In which case it might need a hard push into place. Or a drop to disguise the bump!

But other water coasters don't have a separate little drop...Eg on the dark ride section at the start of JTA you just enter straight onto the lift. Finally, reconnecting to the track is a pretty simple affair on water coasters..It just rolls straight in.

Yeah but that was the original watercoaster so perhaps they put one in thinking they needed it, and the design was later improved. Your points are valid though. Definitely it's one of those "lets make sure the front guys are certain to get wet just in case the splashdown misses 'em" features. At least it's less obvious than the Jurrassic Park one!

Edited by colliric_855

Yeah but that was the original watercoaster so perhaps they put one in thinking they needed it, and the design was later improved.

But the point is, if it could make it onto the first lift without it, why was it needed for the second? And besides, wouldn't the S bend after that tiny drop negate any alignment or speed gained?

Definitely it's one of those "lets make sure the front guys are certain to get wet just in case the splashdown misses 'em" features. At least it's less obvious than the Jurrassic Park one!

You seem pretty sure about that! If it does end up being a 'mini drop', couldn't it just be there to add a bit more interest/excitement to the ride?

But the point is, if it could make it onto the first lift without it, why was it needed for the second? And besides, wouldn't the S bend after that tiny drop negate any alignment or speed gained?

I am actually AGREEING with you. Lol.

You seem pretty sure about that! If it does end up being a 'mini drop', couldn't it just be there to add a bit more interest/excitement to the ride?

Yeah, that's my point with the whole splashing the front riders point.... It's pretty important for a wet ride from the "interest/excitement" POV. Not communicating my point across well today... Can I still go back to lurking? Edited by colliric_855

From the WVTP press release the today (here's a link to the full thing posted by aussienetman in another topic: ) they released some more info on the ride:

"This September will be huge with the launch of Sea World’s Storm Coaster which will be an Australian first ride featuring over 470 metres of thrilling track and amazing water effects".

If you check out other water coasters on rcdb, 460 metres of track gives us something along the lines of this:http://rcdb.com/9377.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLSTvz6VnbU Thrills/coaster wise it looks pretty good! I just hope that we also get some great themeing with this ride. Bermuda Triangle (along with the looney tunes river ride) are what made me love dark-rides. Bermuda especially had some great special effects for it's time and I hope the water coaster does the same. Edited by Luke

From the WVTP press release the today (here's a link to the full thing posted by aussienetman in another topic: ) they released some more info on the ride: If you check out other water coasters on rcdb, 460 metres of track gives us something along the lines of this:http://rcdb.com/9377.htm Thrills/coaster wise it looks pretty good! I just hope that we also get some great themeing with this ride. Bermuda Triangle (along with the looney tunes river ride) are what made me love dark-rides. Bermuda especially had some great special effects for it's time and I hope the water coaster does the same.

That makes me concerned there might not be much of a dark ride section - the ride you posted only goes for a bit over 2 mins. I was hoping this ride might be as long as Bermuda. Edited by GoGoBoy

That makes me concerned there might not be much of a dark ride section - the ride you posted only goes for a bit over 2 mins. I was hoping this ride might be as long as Bermuda.

The layout can be changed, so the indoor section may be as slow as Splash mountain is in the indoor sections to allow for storytelling. That certainly fits the size of the bermuda area... maybe the helix type part could go back over the ride building Edited by JacobSibbald

Looks like that brown building in the pic is going to be what the Station or ride building looks like on the outside

I think we can pretty much confirm that it has the same layout (at least the coaster section) of the coaster above. That photo looks pretty much exactly the same to the layout of the Sommerland one.

That's partly because that IS the Sommerland one, with some PhotoShop work!

Interesting, final artwork looks good enough but the boats look too photoshopped in my opinion. I don't see the building being themed to that boat in the picture (I'm fairly sure it's a shipwreck not a building) but I'm not crossing it out It's the Sommerland coaster used in the picture, I see the finished ride being similar with a few changes for the indoor portion. Can't wait to see more

If that's true, that's a bit of a shame. I mean I don't know, the execution could be great, but I would have expected a bit more of an exciting looking layout, especially that last bit where it just turns a corner to go back to the station.

Couldn't agree more, but props to them if they are able to tell the story in that short amount of time. Or they will incorporate it in the queue and make that the climax....

If that's true, that's a bit of a shame. I mean I don't know, the execution could be great, but I would have expected a bit more of an exciting looking layout, especially that last bit where it just turns a corner to go back to the station.

I think the grey section will be enclosed, or Dark as some people say, which is diffrent to the Sommerland one which is uncovered. I'm still excited for it. For once I got a "rumor" right... Themed to the Cyclonic activity of the region. I wonder if the queue will feature info about Cyclones like the Tower Of Terror features screens showing "daredevil stories"?

Couldn't agree more, but props to them if they are able to tell the story in that short amount of time. Or they will incorporate it in the queue and make that the climax....

The dark section is long enough to tell a specific story, likely the Queue will feature "Cyclonic stories" or perhaps a mixture of the main story and tales of legendary storms?

I think the grey section will be enclosed, or Dark as some people say, which is diffrent to the Sommerland one which is uncovered. I'm still excited for it. For once I got a "rumor" right... Themed to the Cyclonic activity of the region. I wonder if the queue will feature info about Cyclones like the Tower Of Terror features screens showing "daredevil stories"?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited for it and it most likely will be a great ride, but I would have just personally preferred a little more than an almost up-and-back layout like the flume.

I think the grey section will be enclosed, or Dark as some people say, which is diffrent to the Sommerland one which is uncovered. I'm still excited for it. For once I got a "rumor" right... Themed to the Cyclonic activity of the region. I wonder if the queue will feature info about Cyclones like the Tower Of Terror features screens showing "daredevil stories"?The dark section is long enough to tell a specific story, likely the Queue will feature "Cyclonic stories"or perhaps a mixture of the main story and tales of legendary storms?

I believe that the grey section is the ground and is an enclosed for the water. Picture Below. post-2699-0-21308700-1367654761_thumb.jp Edited by Randy23